Some advice needed for my mare

Chloe_Dudley

New User
Visit site
Hiya,

My mare is Welsh D x cob but has always been very forward going and not an easy ride. Lately I've been resorted to having to ride in our indoor school but I think she hates it! It's like getting on a plod at a riding school... Which I hate:( I just don't know what to do. She absolutely loves jumping so I put jumps up the weekend and even then she wasn't her usual self.

loobylu

Visit site
Maybe she finds it difficult to make use of the corners, or the surface feels different to her? I'd probably spend lots of time walking and halting through the corners, and work on some basic lateral work in walk and trot- leg yielding, turn on the forehand etc. These should help you to make the most of the space available.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. I have found that horses that haven't been ridden on surfaces find it hard at first. You have to build up their confidence on the surface.

What kind of surface is it? Is it raked and harrowed regularly? Walk around and check there are no soft spots...

If you've ever walked in an arena that has not been maintained well, you soon know about it if your ankles are weak... I would suggest not pushing her on until she is more confident on the surface, so work on balance and get her used to it and stronger in the legs.

Chloe_Dudley

New User
Visit site
Thanks all, it is a soft sand school and it is smaller than the outdoor, I am supposed to be riding tomorrow fingers crossed if it doesn't rain so will see how that goes outdoors and then maybe get her check out? Not sure whether her back may be hurting she's started to bite when I do her girth up but I think she just gets too excited when outside to think about it

Horsemanship

Visit site
Any chance of a photo of her with the saddle on please? It could be a number of things, but she is certainly trying to tell you something is wrong if she has just started biting at girthing-up. x

Chloe_Dudley

New User
Visit site
I will get a picture on here soon as poss but I have been bearing in mine that she is very fluffy and hasn't been clipped yet so I think it might be pinching her when I do it up

MyDappledConnemara

Visit site
Have her checked over by a vet, as it could be something to do with her eyesight that she doesn't like indoor schools as she might not be able to see as well as she can in an outdoor. Try groundwork and work in the stable to ensure you are the dominant one.