Somebody please remind me why I took this up again?

Parkranger

Visit site
Had a rubbish ride in the school....took 5 mins to get on him as it was raining, he was being a pussy and didn't want to be ridden! Got on him and he was really hard work - constant leaning on my hands to get his head back and just generally being a poo head.

One of the yard girls got on and said he's like a wriggly worm! He's keen to learn but it obviously hurts his neck using the muscles he hasn't got when working in an outline.

I know it takes time but somedays I just worry that I'm not good enough for him and I'll ruin him. Going to keep on with lessons though so hopefully that will give us some goals.

The new green grass and ultra potent hay hasn't helped and he's just being a doo doo head.

Oh well, he's lucky I love him isn't he?
grin.gif

anyone else had a pants schooling day?

Saf

community.webshots.com
Hi
Keep at it don't give up it will come right
smile.gif

I have had two really pants days yesterday and today rode like a complete pleb and let my horse down
frown.gif
Just hoping tomorrow will come right going to try something fun tomorrow and get over this blip
wink.gif

Good luck
grin.gif

TGM

Visit site
Well I was lucky and missed the rain and had a fab schooling session this morning. My mare hates the school but despite going on a go slow to start she did some fabulous trot work and some lovely canter transitions (our bugbear!).

BUT, I have had plenty of cr*p schooling days in the past and you have to just put them behind you as a one-off. Especially when there is an obvious reason like horrendous weather.

I'm sure you will be back on track soon
grin.gif

TigerLilly

Visit site
Someone gave me a good bit of advice the other week when i hit a low, she said why dont i keep a diary and write in it every day on how good or bad my horse is being well when i do hit a low i just look in it and read all the good things we have done together and it realy helps plus there is more good points than bad in there!!!

bertiewooster

Visit site
I feel your pain and confusion a hundred-fold! You are way more experienced than me and I'm sure things will come right with Ty. You've only been together for a short while - I think it's only in the last few weeks that Mill and I have really gelled, after a year. You'll be fine, but keep posting your progress xx

lizstuguinness

Visit site
my baby went like a dream on monday nothing fazed her, then tuesday she went nuts and galloped around the arena spooking at everything, and today.... she was bored as everything is so easy!!

we are talkig about a not broken horse who is just learning to long line!

i suppose we will be back to monsters lurking round the corners tomorrow!

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You are way more experienced than me

[/ QUOTE ]

I just talk a good job
grin.gif

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys x

bertiewooster

Visit site
Yes, but that's the point - I went on some dreadful American confidence building course once entitled "Feel the Fear and Throw Up Anyway" or some such, (work sent me, they were sick of me whining "oh but I can't!!!!) and they tattoed on our hands a saying which actually makes a lot of sense - "fake it until you make it". In other words, even though you have shares in Tena Lady, pretend you are Madonna!! Sorry, had rather a lot of red wine....

Skhosu

Visit site
nope, but I did have to dope my boy up to the eyeballs to inject him( both morning and evening) so didn't get to ride at all!
It'll all come right!

Governor

Visit site
I had consistently crap schooling days recently - strange for a horse with a good work ethic (with me anyway) and to be fair i've been away alot recently and while I did my best to keep him ticking over he's had alot of different riders. We went back to basics for a week, I didn't school just worked him in the Pessoa, did lots of groundwork and then (most importantly) started hacking out regularly. When we went back into the school he went the best he's probably ever gone because he felt keen to show me what he could do now that school was new and interesting again.

If you can (sorry I don't know much about you or your neddie! just thought i'd offer suggestions) try and get out and about. I school out hacking but Gov doesn't appear to be aware that we're fine tuning a shoulder in or working on his medium trot!

Keep your chin up anyway...poo days are all part and parcel of it, honest!

miniemy

Visit site
Aww hun, owning horses is such a rewarding thing, but most of the time we go round pulling our hair out and wondering why the hell we are doing this LOL.

Got your pm hun and will give you a should as soon as I have done some digging.

pottamus

Visit site
That's what I do...keep a diary on my computer. Ever since I had my horse I have done this for both the rides we have done and any difficulties or behaviour issues. It is amazing to see how far you have come when you look back and also to see that you have good days too! Keep at it you will have a good day too.
grin.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
I think we do too much hacking hence his inability to concentrate in the school! We have a rubbish school as well so I'm thinking of asking around to see if there are any local indoor schools without an distractions!

Definately going to by a pessoa though. x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You are plenty good enough for him.

But just one thing - Amymay came from a riding school and was very 'school stale'. So I didn't ride her in one. We had lots of lovely hacks and plays on the beach for at least a year before we went back in the school. And she had a whole new approach.

I was able to build up her muscles with all the hacking, and could do a lot of lateral work with her as well.

Just something for you to bear in mind.
wink.gif

katelarge

Visit site
Jeez if I had a tenner for every time my horse has dicked me about I'd be a flippin millionaire! Things did get so bad with him at the old yard that I decided to sell him, had a contact from an equine college come and try him and they wanted him...and I didn't let him go!

I am hoping that my bonkers decision to keep him pays back, and to be fair it has already as we have moved yards and he has become sane again! Before our current setback my new yard manager had tried him and saw no reason why he couldn't be a decent dressage horse, and I was going to re-start his jumping too... so don't worry, I doubt there is a single person on here who's horse behaves impeccably 100% of the time. We all have down days! x

Parkranger

Visit site
He was only there for about 4 months so in my eyes that's no excuse! I think the rain, the grass, me being in a strop etc didn't help at all......going to ride out tonight though hopefully so we can have some fun.....I've started schooling him more out on hacks now so hopefully it will all help.....

x