Someone I know killed from a fall from her horse.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I have just found out a girl who used to rent our fields has been killed in a fall from her horse earlier this week, and the funeral is today.
She was around mid thirties and has three children two of whom are about 6 and 8..
A lovely person she used to deliver my potatoes from her farm and she was what youi'd call a real worker.
She always owned horses and apparently they think the horse reared out on a hack and fell backwards on her, she was dead when they found her, her neck broken.
I've been in tears all morning thinking of her family, her children, her husband who adored her and her Mother in law who is currently battling cancer.
What a bloody waste of a life and how sad.
I'm just off to post a card but there really is nothing anyone can do, having gone through the sudden death of a family member myself I recall that raw anguish only too well.
None of us know how long we are here, and an accident like this demonstrates how iffy riding is, she was an experienced and very capable rider, and would never have taken risks.
I doubt a back protector etc would stop a broken neck either.
To die on a simple hack seems incredible, especially when you think of how so many people gallop XC every weekend....

Weezy

Visit site
OH HH my heart goes out to you and and her family - what a thoroughly horrible event
frown.gif

What has happened to this woman is what is always now in the back of my mind now I have children - it is every parents worse nightmare, but we keep getting on those damn animals dont we

Greyhound

Visit site
Sitting here with shivers going down my spine.

I had to do a site visit yesterday to a crematorium and all was fine until I realised it was the funeral of a 28 yr old man. You all expect to grow old gracefully and pass away but the raw truth of it is it doesnt happen that way.

You HAVE to make the best of life, and hope that she went painlessly and enjoying what she loved to do.

Sending my regards and symapthies to the family.

GH

_jetset_

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear this. I cannot imagine how her family must be feeling right now, it is unbearable to think that her life ended so suddenly on a quiet hack.

My thoughts go out to her family and also to you.

Rebecca

Sparklet

Visit site
How terribly sad - her poor children, husband and her poor mum. We are never completely safe are we?

She died doing something she loved might be some sort of comfort for her family.

Snowberry

Visit site
how bloody awful
frown.gif
frown.gif

The family must be in pieces and her poor children
frown.gif
Its so sad to lose someone so young. We had an incident here last year where someone fell off a horse at a training day and broke her neck. She was a young mother with kids too
frown.gif

It does make you think that its a bloody dangerous sport.
Sympathies to her family at this sad time

Parkranger

Visit site
It is horribly sad and my heart goes out to her family.

I think we have to get into perspective how many people die on horseback compared to on the roads for example.

Doesn't make it any less terrible though, definately going to buy a back protector for hacking out and jumping......if we all brought back protectors, think how many more deaths could be avoided?

Sooty

Visit site
Oh that is awful. So, so sad, but as trite and corny as it sounds, she dies doing something she loved, and almost certainly didn't suffer. Of course, that is no confort to her family - I cannot begin to imagine the devastation they must be feeling. You don't expect to wave someone off on a hack and never see them again.

loopeepee

Visit site
How utterly devastating. I have shivers running up my spine, and my cheeks have gone all tingly. My heart goes out to you and to her family.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Apparently it happened last week on an isolated path in some forestry, the horse was described as a 16 year old plodder.. the hot weather has brought lots of adders out so who knows what caused it, perhaps a snake appeared etc and scared the horse, by all accounts it was a very quiet ride.
I can't stop thinking about those poor kids, she always had one with her and was such a straightforward thoroughly nice woman...
Makes you appreciate your relatively problem free life doesn't it...

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't make it any less terrible though, definately going to buy a back protector for hacking out and jumping......if we all brought back protectors, think how many more deaths could be avoided?

[/ QUOTE ]

Back protector will not save you from a broken neck.

However if it is of any comfort we are all more likely to die in a car accident than on our horses! Just that a rider killed in a car never really hits the news.

Still sad.

Ginn

Visit site
What a terrible tragedy and waste of a life. My thoughts and sympathies are with all concerned.

sojeph

Visit site
How awful!

Myself and my family are still reeling from the sudden (self inflicted) death of someone in the family so I really, really sympathise with her family and yourself. What a reminder these things are to us about how short our lives are!x.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Jeez HH you're not having a good few days are you
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

My thoughts are with the lady's family - who must be devastated - It really does bring it home with a sharp thud doesn't it - life is far too short - and riding is far more dangerous than we admit it to be - Having had "one of those freak accidents" myself, I am more than aware of how serious things can get.
*hugs*
Kate xxx

JAK

Visit site
How dreadfully tragic - her poor family & how sad for you hh, who knew her.
Thoughts to all concerned & hugs to you. xxx

Claireg9

Visit site
What a shame, must be so awful. I only hope her family can take some comfort in the toughts she died doing something she loved. im told its every parents worse nightmare burying your own child, but her poor mum now has to deal with this as well as her own tragic desease. My heart goes out to them all at this very sad time!
RIP x

ruscara

Visit site
There is nothing that can be said to make it better. It is a tragedy for her family, and very sad for her friends and acquaintances.

GTs

Visit site
Very sorry to hear that, it does show that even the most safe horses have risks. I would be surprised if a snake scared the horse, I have seen many snakes out riding, and it never bothered the horse. I just do not think they comprehend them as a danger like we do.

*BIG HUGS*

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
HH, that is so sad, seems like you are going through a very tough time at the mo, a friend of mine died similarly on a hack. The horse reared over backwards on her and all because of a wasp that had got to the horse. hugs and thoughts xx