Someone offering to buy my horse through email via paypal

rubyrumba

Visit site
Advertised one of my horses earlier, quick sale needed so he is an absolute bargain.
Had a few email already but someone asking for my paypal address to pay straight away and their agent will collect. I said no way that he wasn't going without me meeting the potential buyer and they keep emailing saying there away on business and they love the photos, 5* home etc. This has got to be some sort of scam???? Anyone else come across this?

scrunchie

Visit site
I've paid for a horse via paypal!!!!

But it was a few years ago when there weren't so many scams about. Probably best to err on the side of caution. :)

Clippy

Visit site
I had a deposit for a pony paid to me by Paypal. The buyer didn't want to miss out but couldn't come straight away.

The most important thing is not to believe the email that says "You've got funds" and instead, log into your paypal account and look for the payment there ;)

scrunchie

Visit site
I had a deposit for a pony paid to me by Paypal. The buyer didn't want to miss out but couldn't come straight away.

The most important thing is not to believe the email that says "You've got funds" and instead, log into your paypal account and look for the payment there ;)

You've got to be careful though because apparently the buyer can request a refund through paypal and Paypal will automatically do it and leave the seller out of pocket.

I never knew this when I paid via Paypal. I only did it because I had money in my Paypal account and it saved me from going into overdraft on my proper bank account. Plus the seller agreed to it so I didn't think anymore about it.

Tammytoo

Visit site
SCAM SCAM SCAM !!!!! and a very common one - I can't believe people are still falling for these. They just want to get at your account and clear it out!

Clippy

Visit site
SCAM SCAM SCAM !!!!! and a very common one - I can't believe people are still falling for these. They just want to get at your account and clear it out!

If someone gets your email address to send you a Paypal payment, how does that enable them to clear your account? I'm just worried as i've given my Paypal email out a few times for different things over the years. I've never had a problem so far...

scrunchie

Visit site
If someone gets your email address to send you a Paypal payment, how does that enable them to clear your account? I'm just worried as i've given my Paypal email out a few times for different things over the years. I've never had a problem so far...

They can't access your account unless they have your password. But they can request a refund from Paypal and if the seller has already parted company with the horse I think they have to jump through hoops to get the money back.

At least, that is what I have heard.

I don't think everyone offering paypal is out to scam someone - I definitely wasn't. But now I know what I know I wouldn't accept it as a payment method - I'd rather accept a bank transfer, postal order or cheque (and wait for it to clear).

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
If it mentions having an agent arrange the collection it is the same old scam that has been around for years.

Generally the very poor use of English gives a good hint that it is not genuine ;)

Ladylina83

Visit site
...and who exactly looking for a cheap as chips bargin horse would use an 'agent' I ask ???

tell them you will wait until they can come - I bet they never show

Spicey

New User
Visit site
Hi. I know it was a while ago but the lady didn't live in Kent did she? If so, contact trading standards with all info you can remember. Tel no is important. Sounds very much like a lady in Kent who offers 5* homes to horses with a on injury then sells the on without disclosing history.

sleepykitten

Visit site
I had exactly the same thing happen to me when I was selling my horse, it is a scam! It said that the agent wanted to collect the ""item" and basically wrote back to me everything I had put in the advert, so I said something like he was good in traffic, and in the e-mail I got back, it said "is it good in traffic?" type of thing. I would avoid.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Its a well known scam - it was tried with us selling a youngster - 'agent to collect' bit means they ll ask you for money to cover collection - which you lll never see again. Also happened to neighbour who sells tractors , so I imagine they ll target any type of sale.AVOID.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
Barge and pole spring to mind, this is a VERY old scam email, i received a couple when selling on a reputable website when I was selling my car.

Yeah I told them to go do one!!!