Someone Please Explain: Nelson Full Cheek Gag

Lydiamae

Visit site
Hi! I've been doing some research into different types of bits, and I was wondering if someone could please explain or show me some photos of how the nelson works and how it is attached to the bridle and put in the horses mouth with the runners and two reins?

Any opinions in this bit would be appreciated too! I want to change my boys bit, but to what - that's the question!

Thanks in advance x

Last edited:

Wheels

Visit site
A gag like that is a very strong bit - maybe if you give us an idea of the problems you are having & the bit you currently use & someone might be able to suggest a suitable alternative

Valonty

Visit site
It can be strong, but personally think that it should always be used with 2 reins, so you literally have a plain snaffle rein as well as a stronger gag rein, meaning you can vary the severity.

Lydiamae

Visit site
Thank you both. Okay, I have a 5year old sports horse, who is currently in a gag. I find he leans an awful lot when on his left rein, which his gag makes very obvious. Schooling on the snaffle or middle ring of the gag, he works wonderfully on the vertical, very controlled but forward. When jumping middle or top hole, he takes hold of the bit and goes which isn't great at we are hoping to hunt and affiliate next year. I have no breaks.

What I ideally want in a new bit, is something which isn't going to be too severe as to over bit or be anymore sever that current gag, helps steering, has control and poll pressure. (I'm aware I'm asking for about 10 bits all rolled into one) but has anyone had similar experiences or could give their opinion?

Thanks

khalswitz

Visit site
Thank you both. Okay, I have a 5year old sports horse, who is currently in a gag. I find he leans an awful lot when on his left rein, which his gag makes very obvious. Schooling on the snaffle or middle ring of the gag, he works wonderfully on the vertical, very controlled but forward. When jumping middle or top hole, he takes hold of the bit and goes which isn't great at we are hoping to hunt and affiliate next year. I have no breaks.

What I ideally want in a new bit, is something which isn't going to be too severe as to over bit or be anymore sever that current gag, helps steering, has control and poll pressure. (I'm aware I'm asking for about 10 bits all rolled into one) but has anyone had similar experiences or could give their opinion?

Thanks

I assume by gag you mean a Dutch gag, and therefore not a true gag with gag action? The gag action of a true gag like an English (of which Cheltenham and Nelson gags are variants dependent on cheek) or American gag (also called an elevator).

I wrote a lovely long post about gag action and how a true gag is different from the Continentals (your Dutch and Vienna gags), but my screen refreshed and I can't be bothered typing it all out again! However my main point was that your problem of rushing fences IME is a confidence issue, and bitting won't make a positive difference (in my case it actually started my horse refusing when he couldn't rush), so I wouldn't be trying to bit up. This is a case for schooling rather than bitting.

That out the way, however, a simple full cheek Waterford can be a good option for a horse that takes hold, as suddenly he no longer can. No poll pressure, but also nothing to brace against.

Luci07

Visit site
Interesting posts. My 5 year old (at the time) started rushing but I felt it was more of a confidence issue. He wasn't that strong behind so preferred to rush rather than sit. Grid work helped enormously. He is now 7 albeit had almost a year of not jumping at 6. He will occasionally try to take control and leg it but I only stepped him upto a grackle and Dr Bristol after trying various combinations of bits and nosebands.