Someone please give me some hope

Bs_mum

Visit site
I’ve got one in the horse hospital, has been since the beginning of the week when I found him unresponsive in the barn on morning checks (was fine the day before)
Been on a variety of drips, glucose, electrolytes, antibiotics etc ever since. I’ve nearly lost him 3 times. Bloods came back signifying infection & low protein. Immediate plasma transfusion administered, but he won’t eat. Vets have been tube feeding him, however, we’ve agreed to stop and see if he’ll eat himself. I’ve bought him every treat I could find in the feed shop and a bag of haylage just to entice a reaction- nothing. Not even a sniff. He looks exhausted.
Blood results due back tomorrow, depending on them depends on what happens next.
I know I’m clutching at straws, but I just need some hope. Vets can’t give me any indication- & I totally understand that. We’re 5 days into this now. He hasn’t crashed for nearly 48 (was very up and down prior to plasma transfusion)
Is there still a chance?

Bs_mum

Visit site
Hopefully the vets wouldn't put either of you through this if they didn't think he had a chance. Really sorry for you, hope the bloods show something treatable.

No the vet wouldn’t, & were in agreement that while he’s still fighting we’ll fight with him

Do they have any idea what’s wrong with him ?

He has a bacterial infection

I got one with chronic grass sickness to eat with molasses - worth a try?

Thank you, I’ll give it a go!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
If he has a bacterial infection then sometimes it is a race against time to keep him going til the antibs kick in. So yes there is a chance. I know it's not the same but my OH had bacterial meningitis and was on the edge for a while but once he turned a corner as the infection came under control then he never looked back. If he has stablised then that is a very good sign. Really hoping for a good outcome for you. What a dreadful time you must have had over the past 5 days. Don't forget to look after yourself too.

lme

Visit site
My pony was on a drip / unable to eat for over a week as she had an impaction. She lost a lot of weight but pulled through.

tristar

Visit site
i was very ill last year and did not eat for 5 days, i believe it is one of natures ways of resting the body, echo about the abs kicking in, and the grass, hand pick some.

hope you get good news soon x

cundlegreen

Visit site
Is he drinking? That's the important issue. Possibly try very watery sugar beet with a few pieces of apple/carrot in it? ReLeve smells wonderful and may tempt him, but is expensive. Do you know anybody who could give you a small amount to try?

Bs_mum

Visit site
Is he drinking? That's the important issue. Possibly try very watery sugar beet with a few pieces of apple/carrot in it? ReLeve smells wonderful and may tempt him, but is expensive. Do you know anybody who could give you a small amount to try?

Yes, he’s still drinking & on a drip as well x

vmac66

Visit site
There have been a few at my yard with similar symptoms. Not eating, unresponsive and one little pony was so dehydrated she was put on a drip. All were given antibiotics and anti inflammatories. All recovered. Vet had no idea what it was with any of them. Just said an infection.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I had one that had a severe virus with secondary infection. She was very very sick. She lost 15kgs in just over a week. She was skin and bones, head hanging low and looked like she'd given up on life.

She really wasn't interested in food, but with the small amount of food I could get in to her I gave her Global Herbs Restore. Within 2 days her appetite started to improve and after that she picked up pretty quickly.

She did need 10 days of antibiotics to completely get on top of the infection.

I'm keeping everything crossed for you and your horse. X

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you all for your kind replies.

Hand grazing seems to be the way forward for him at the moment. He’s been out intermittently today without his drip grazing.

Blood show improvement- not a lot, but improvement nonetheless!

?????