Someone save me.

CowCob

Visit site
Why oh why did I have to get a pony with Welsh in? I assumed the ISH would cancel out the stubborn but no. CC has recently started doing a bit more flatting in prep for the upcoming season (we're down to one jumping per three weeks compared to 2 per week that she used to do). I forgot how much she hates flatting. I don't mean getting bored toward the end of the session I mean full out hatred for it.

She hates trotting down the center line so she'll start leg yielding or piaffe'ing to get out of it (beautifully may I add!) she seems to have learned the piaffe by herself as well.

To get out of center line canter she'll do a very nice shoulder in which again I haven't taught.

That's some of the milder tricks.

When I do want a leg yield from the center the little ****** will end up trotting down the center line like an angel.

People at my yard must think I'm off my head with the amount of growling I do ("GEEETTT, GEEETT! GEETTTT! PONY! MOVE OVER YOU *swear* C'MON!"/"YOU LITERALLY DID THIS ON A HACK YESTERDAY WILL YOU PLEASE?!"/"NO NOT THAT LEG THE OTHER LEG"/"MOO I SWEAR")

My mum finds it comical to hear me growling at her, to make it even worse she'll act like a total push button for anyone else. How do I explain to her that she needs to do the flatting before she does the jumping and that flying lead change doesn't mean that she can gallop full force around the arena scaring the bajesus out of me (the screams cause a lot of laughing from bystanders granted). I think she's not destined for the dressage horse life, more of a four hoofed fat comedian with a carrot obsession.

I swear she says to her field mate "Mollie! Get Disney and Flynn, I'm going to see how fast I can go before mum ends up screaming, she's not even wearing a body protector today the silly sod!" before I get on.

My horse is a comedian or at least she thinks, someone save me.

teddypops

Visit site
I have a welsh sec D and she is the most willing girl in the world, always does everything that is asked of her! She is 5 and always tries her best!

CowCob

Visit site
I have a welsh sec D and she is the most willing girl in the world, always does everything that is asked of her! She is 5 and always tries her best!

She'll try her heart out when she wants to but on her cheeky days she's a bum. I love Welshies all told, if I ever had to get another it'd definitely be a Welsh. Very intelligent breed, some of them are too intelligent for their own good at times however! But they are triers, and they'll go to the ends of the earth to do a good job of something.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Old cob is mostly Welsh and he would certainly do his VERY best with the job that was in HIS head! The rider's opinion could be a rather secondary factor at times! He is still an opinionated old so and so even though he is retired and meant to be taking things easy.
Young cob (who is 4 and a half) is more Irish than Welsh and is a true comedian. He frightened the life out my my YO this week by chasing a passing Harley Davidson when they went out for a little hack. We went to some horse agility last week and any obstacle that could not be chewed was pulled over, stamped on or kicked, including flags, tinsel, barrels, gym balls and traffic cones. His final 'party piece' was to bunch up a large tarpaulin with his feet and then roll on it. I think we might be banned from future events!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its not a welsh thing, but it might be a cob thing, they have an overdeveloped sense of humour! I am happy to send you the cob just so you can be sure. But I'd like him sent back doing BE80's if thats ok? :lol:

CowCob

Visit site
Old cob is mostly Welsh and he would certainly do his VERY best with the job that was in HIS head! The rider's opinion could be a rather secondary factor at times! He is still an opinionated old so and so even though he is retired and meant to be taking things easy.
Young cob (who is 4 and a half) is more Irish than Welsh and is a true comedian. He frightened the life out my my YO this week by chasing a passing Harley Davidson when they went out for a little hack. We went to some horse agility last week and any obstacle that could not be chewed was pulled over, stamped on or kicked, including flags, tinsel, barrels, gym balls and traffic cones. His final 'party piece' was to bunch up a large tarpaulin with his feet and then roll on it. I think we might be banned from future events!

CC chases the Sky vans. She puts everything in her gob as well (if she can't eat it she's not trying hard enough!). I nearly died the other day when she lunged for some plants owned by the family who have a little cottage next to the tack room. She didn't go for the plants, no, she went for the planter. I just grabbed her before she could push a pot off of a wall. She's quite a fan of plastic bags and windows, they seem to be very nice for chewing, noise making and licking. She's banned from going near gym balls after biting and popping one that was owned by the local Parelli loonie, she gave herself and every horse within the area a very big fright. Silly mare.

Leo Walker

Visit site

That sounds exactly like something mine would do! He lived out last winter and hay was delivered with a tractor. Apparently most of the scattered when the tractor arrived, Frankie however chased it across the field trying to get the hay. He also had my saddle fitter in stitches least week. She had a plastic tool type box with her stuff in and he wanted to know what was inside. He started off attempting a full on assault of the box. When he was stopped, he started doing some sort of bizarre comedy attempt at a stealth attack. He kept this up for nearly an hour. Every chance he got, he was back trying to get to the box. He must have thought there was food in it!

Hes a nightmare to hack out on bin day as well. Hes obsessed with wheelie bins and wants to go up to each and every one to check it doesnt contain any food :lol:

Leo Walker

Visit site
CC chases the Sky vans. She puts everything in her gob as well (if she can't eat it she's not trying hard enough!). I nearly died the other day when she lunged for some plants owned by the family who have a little cottage next to the tack room. She didn't go for the plants, no, she went for the planter. I just grabbed her before she could push a pot off of a wall. She's quite a fan of plastic bags and windows, they seem to be very nice for chewing, noise making and licking. She's banned from going near gym balls after biting and popping one that was owned by the local Parelli loonie, she gave herself and every horse within the area a very big fright. Silly mare.

:D She sounds very like mine! The old yard had hanging baskets and he thought they were treat dispensers for fat cobs :lol:

Orca

Visit site
We really, really need a Cob Antics thread!

Orca has walked very nicely over the rubber matting outside the barn 50+ times. Today? Without any warning whatsoever, she jumped it ��. Nothing silly, kept in perfect stride with my walk and continued as if nothing had happened. Why?! She also has an *obsession* with Magpies. She plays with them as if they are tiny little horses out in the sand school and never looks more keen than when she spots one and about. Other birds are irrelevant but magpies, she makes a beeline for. It must be some secret piebald society!

Can't help with the schooling but Orca's paces are one of the reasons I bought her. There's something so delightfully surprising about a HW with showy, floaty moves ��

Merlod

Visit site
I took my welsh D to dressage yesterday, bear in mind he has been showing all summer and done dressage at this venue before, though admittedly we don't do an awful lot of dressage. But we napped going into the ring, tried to bog off whilst we were doing our trotting around the boards and when the bell went I was mostly able to contain him and came away with 3rd but he SQUEALED like a pig the entire test, he is also 10 but anyone would think he is 4!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Out hacking we can often be witnessed twirling in circles while we have a 'discussion' about who is steering! She has very firm ideas about where she likes to go hacking. She also refuses to walk in a straight line and will often zig zag her way down the bridleway. If I ask her to walk on the road, she insists on walking on the verge. If I ask her to walk on the verge, she insists on walking in the road. If we are trotting she wants to canter, if we canter she wants to gallop. If we're walking she wants to stop and stare at things. Trying to prove a point about who is in control I feel.

She is utterly hilarious. My daughter and I both have welshies and we spend every hack in fits of laughter at their antics.

I have to say though....I'm happy not to be competitive in any way shape or form as I'm not sure my stress levels could take competing a welshie.