Someone tell me not to do it!!!

0950Lisa12

Visit site
After 3years of a non horsey life - due to focusing on my career - I have my dream filly coming home in the middle of next month, finally getting weaned at the end of the month; far to excited for words! Waited a year and half for this! But obviously I do not want to rush her in any shape or form.

I have still been keeping my ears in with riding etc but I hate the sharing malarkey :( , Its just not the same as having your own, having goals to work towards etc, so been considering buying a 2nd that is old enough to bring on and ride myself ....

I have been having a nose, and seen a lovely 3.5year old welsh D filly for sale, and to say I am besotted with her would be an understatement, I look in her eye and have just fallen in love. Such a kind eye <3 .... I need someone to tell me I am being stupid .... EVEN my other half is going why the hell not, what a awesome idea, just go for it, you could sell her on later if needs be. She isn't exactly expensive either and could afford the loss if it didn't work out!!

Two lots of everything though! They would be on full grass livery, to cut costs or maybe I could try find a private rent for some stables .... Ooooo ideas?

Ohh god what am I getting myself into hahahh!!

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
In theory, having a youngster to back slowly with a view to selling on is probably not a ridiculous idea. However, if you've really had 3 years completely off all things horsey, you might find you need to ease yourself back in more gradually than you might imagine. Two youngsters at once might feel like an awful idea when you're slipping and sliding in a muddy gateway whilst they piss about being youngsters at the end of the rope etc. And with the one you're trying to back and bring on, would you at have access to a stable or at least to a designated patch of the yard? You'll defo want somewhere safe to be able to tie her securely while you do your basic everyday handling.

0950Lisa12

Visit site
In theory, having a youngster to back slowly with a view to selling on is probably not a ridiculous idea. However, if you've really had 3 years completely off all things horsey, you might find you need to ease yourself back in more gradually than you might imagine. Two youngsters at once might feel like an awful idea when you're slipping and sliding in a muddy gateway whilst they piss about being youngsters at the end of the rope etc. And with the one you're trying to back and bring on, would you at have access to a stable or at least to a designated patch of the yard? You'll defo want somewhere safe to be able to tie her securely while you do your basic everyday handling.

Luckily, kept my hand in, just none of my own for the 3 years:oops: ....

Yep absolutely, the place I have in mind - where my filly is going, has a school and stables they can come into for daily handling etc ;)

Asha

Visit site
I guess it depends on how experienced you are with youngsters. If you have backed and produced before then go for it. If you havent, then id say dont do it. Unless you have the funds available to get pros in to help you. Backing and producing is an art, and one id never take any chances with. Buying the horse is the easy part.

If you fancy another id get another just weaned youngster for your new filly to play and grow with, or even better send the just weaned off to youngstock livery and get something you can go out and have fun on now. That way you will be far more experienced in 3 years time to bring on your dream filly.

eggs

Visit site
I think foals are always better off in a group herd of other youngsters with an aunt or uncle to keep them in check so in your position would be looking at putting the filly onto youngstock livery.

As far as getting the 3 year old goes it could well work if you have experience of backing and bringing on or have the funds to pay for good help.