Someone Wants To Ride My Pony

Cara_E

Visit site
I've had three lessons on my new pony and I feel like we're really progressing. I'm certainly learning a lot and I love having my own horse. My instructor was approached by someone who asked if they could use my horse for lessons. She would charge him her fee for lessons, but the pay-off for me is that the pony is getting exercised. However, I plan to ride five days a week so I'm not sure that's a good enough incentive to let a stranger take lessons on my pony. (He would be covered under his own insurance, by the way.)

I honestly don't know how I should feel about it. On the one hand, it is nice that he'll be exercised on days I can't get over to see him. On the other, I worry that his bond with me won't be as strong if he's riding with other people. I dunno. What do you think? Is there any compelling reason I should allow this guy I don't even know ride my new pony?

rachk89

Visit site
Well if you aren't happy about it I wouldn't do it. I let others ride my horse and sometimes pay them for it but my horse is being schooled correctly by someone else and taught jumping that I can't teach him so it's for his benefit.

But if your pony is new to you I wouldn't for a while otherwise he may be a bit confused about who his actual owner is. Mine doesn't get like that he is usually annoyed if it's anyone but me on him but he will behave now.You dont know this person either which is another reason i would say no. I know all of the people I have let ride my horse and known how they ride so knew they could handle him.

hobo

Visit site
There is no reason to let anyone ride your new pony as it sounds like you are doing plenty. Mind you I could do with someone to ride my young horse and it would have to be a stranger as no one that knows her would ride her.

Do not be pushed in to something you do not want it is your pony and like you say you are just getting to know him yourself.

LHIS

Visit site
Why can't this person go to a riding school and get lessons there? Do they need to use your instructor for any specific reason?
If it were me, I'd say no. Unless that rider could teach my horse something I couldn't. But it doesn't sound like that is the case?

WelshD

Visit site
Is the pony actually yours or is it a loan/ share?

Either way I wouldn't worry about your 'bond' that's a hugely overrated thing these days I would be more practical and worry about whether the pony is likely to develop bad habits if the rider were heavy handed/timid etc

Haz:)

Visit site
Another that would say no.
I'm extremely protective of my horses though, I like to know everyone who gets onboard my babies! Don't feel pushed into it. Your pony, your decision. Don't feel bad if you say no. Just enjoy your pony :) 5 times a week seems pretty decent! Mine gets excercise a from 1-4 times a week due to my variant schedule and he has remained at peak fitness. :)

Haz:)

Visit site
Is the pony actually yours or is it a loan/ share?

Either way I wouldn't worry about your 'bond' that's a hugely overrated thing these days I would be more practical and worry about whether the pony is likely to develop bad habits if the rider were heavy handed/timid etc

I wouldn't say a 'bond' is overrated. I know I have an extremely close 'bond' to a particular pony. Feeling close and that you and your horse understand eachother well is something brilliant and arguably my favourite part of owning horses. They're all my best friends. With a bond, comes trust, which could be the difference of your horse deciding to jump that scary ditch or stand still as something scary speeds past on the roads. Just my opinion, and I'm sorry if I offended you.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I've had three lessons on my new pony and I feel like we're really progressing. I'm certainly learning a lot and I love having my own horse. My instructor was approached by someone who asked if they could use my horse for lessons. She would charge him her fee for lessons, but the pay-off for me is that the pony is getting exercised. However, I plan to ride five days a week so I'm not sure that's a good enough incentive to let a stranger take lessons on my pony. (He would be covered under his own insurance, by the way.)

I honestly don't know how I should feel about it. On the one hand, it is nice that he'll be exercised on days I can't get over to see him. On the other, I worry that his bond with me won't be as strong if he's riding with other people. I dunno. What do you think? Is there any compelling reason I should allow this guy I don't even know ride my new pony?

Three lessons already and you only viewed him a few days ago. You are very dedicated to do so much so soon. Is the strangles situation sorted?

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?729616-Is-this-my-pony&p=13270762#post13270762

Cara_E

Visit site
I am in my 40s, definitely not on school holiday.

I've been riding him at the yard where the strangles outbreak occurred instead of my instructor's yard. He's a riding school pony; I bought him but haven't been able to move him. We're waiting or the all clear but since no other horses have got it, we're thinking he's going to be unaffected. Fingers crossed.

He's mine, not a loan or share.

I'm thinking I don't want him to be used for other people's lessons for the reasons listed here, but also because he's brand new to me and I do worry he won't know who his owner is.

Thanks for all the answers.

Chloeap

Visit site
For me it would depend on the rider. If it were me in that situation and it was someone relatively good I would say yes probably, as my instructor is brilliant and think it would benefit him. But not if they were novicey, were likely to be pulling him around or if I thought they wouldn't be able to cope with him at his worse (because he can nap and this is getting better as he doesn't get away with it with me!). Also maybe ask them to help me out with poo picking/mucking out or something in return!
But he is your horse, you pay the bills and it is ultimately your decision, so I wouldn't feel pressured into anything. If you don't want anyone else riding then say no. You paid for him after all!
Also any problems with the horse that someone else may introduce are then your problems. They can walk away at any point but not so easy for you.

GirlFriday

Visit site
If this is a genuine thread sounds like a vulnerable OP being taken for a ride by instructor... RI gets inexperienced owner to 'buy' a horse they can't move, presumably pay for full livery somewhere they haven't chosen and now they are planning on using the horse to make money teaching a stranger?!?

OP, I'd be really unimpressed at your RI.

Cara_E

Visit site
No, you're misunderstanding. The horse is going to my instructor's yard as soon as we get the all-clear (part-livery). The guy who wants to ride the pony had heard that I just got a new pony through someone else at my instructor's yard and thought that since I can't ride every day, he could "help out" by exercising him. It just feels wrong though.

dollyanna

Visit site
If that's what happened then it sounds like he is being cheeky thinking he can get a ride. 5 times a week is plenty.
I wouldn't worry so much about the bonding, he will know you are his soon enough when you spend time doing owner stuff like grooming, cuddling, taking for walks in hand etc. My first pony was on working livery but always knew I was just hers and vice versa - but once I had her to myself when the riding school closed and we moved yards I found it very hard to share her with anyone again. He is your pony, you bought him, your choice but I think he is being cheeky asking when you weren't looking for "help" and would say no.

Redders

Visit site
I wouldn't like it so soon. I would tell him that you want to get to know the pony yourself first for a few months, and think about it then. The pony is ex riding school so will have had loads of people riding him throughout his life, let him be a one owner horse for a while and you can get a decent bond with him. Just the way I would feel about it x

GirlFriday

Visit site
No, you're misunderstanding. The horse is going to my instructor's yard as soon as we get the all-clear (part-livery). The guy who wants to ride the pony had heard that I just got a new pony through someone else at my instructor's yard and thought that since I can't ride every day, he could "help out" by exercising him. It just feels wrong though.

No, I've understood... In fact it is even worse...

You'd be paying your RI to keep a horse (part livery) she was then making extra money out of by using to give lessons on. Sounds more like a working livery arrangement.

Most sharers would pay you something/do some chores for you and not be instead paying your RI. RI would effectively be using your pony like it was still a RS pony. Feels wrong because it is wrong!

Redders

Visit site
Just had another thought....your 'pay off' would be some guy having lessons on your horse- the only possible way this would be a pay off would be if he is a really skilled rider who will ride correctly and improve your horse- he probably isn't at all so another reason I would say no.

Equestrienne

Visit site
No, this seems weird.

Perhaps I'm very possessive but my horse is mine! I care for them, I love them, I ride them. Wouldn't like them to be muddled in the slightest with another rider. And if they're getting a lesson, they're 99% going to be novice.

IF the situation brought about repayment to you either via a reduction on your livery or direct cash then I would think about it. Otherwise it seems to be a bit of a jammy for everyone else except the most important person - you.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
This sounds completely wrong to me.

I'm a bit cynical but I'd guess that your yard owner has had an enquiry re lessons from this chap and thinks she can just borrow your pony because, as a riding school pony, he'd be good for learning on.

I'd be worried that she's just got you to buy her next lesson pony. She can make money off him by teaching, whilst you fork out for livery and vets bills.

I'd also be worried that despite saying no, the pony would still be used for lessons if I wasn't around.

It seems terribly entitled to just suggest someone uses your horse.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
This sounds completely wrong to me.

I'm a bit cynical but I'd guess that your yard owner has had an enquiry re lessons from this chap and thinks she can just borrow your pony because, as a riding school pony, he'd be good for learning on.

I'd be worried that she's just got you to buy her next lesson pony. She can make money off him by teaching, whilst you fork out for livery and vets bills.

I'd also be worried that despite saying no, the pony would still be used for lessons if I wasn't around.

I agree with this ^^^^^

One yard I was at would occasionally use a livery pony, without the owner's permission, when the riding school was busy. In fact at BHS inspection time they would tack our horses up and trot them up for the vets inspection.

Once also in a "private" yard run by the head instructor of our local Pony Club, I went for a training day for our B test. We all had to swap horses for the test, so she had us swapping horses during the 2 hour training session. At the end of the session she told us all not to tell anyone we had ridden XXXXXX as the owner would be upset, and she did not need to know.

These were both when I was a teenager, and I would blow the lid on both now, but at the time no one told.

So, if moving yards to the RI's then I would make abundantly clear the the pony is your pony, and is not to be used for lessons ever, without written permission from you, so there can be no misunderstanding.

If it suits you to allow the pony to be used then that is a different matter, maybe two lessons a week for a livery reduction. If you are new to pony ownership, it is worth bearing in mind that current thinking is that hours on end circling on an arena is not healthy for legs, so if it suits you go ahead, but if it does not then you have every right not to allow it.

Welcome to the world of horses, where as soon as you get a horse someone wants to ride it, as soon as you get a trailer or lorry, someone will want to borrow it, and as soon as you get your own stables people will want to come and keep their horses there. In all cases it is fine and dandy if that suits you, but be prepared to say NO to all of the above if that suits you better. People are people, and I have had people with a sense of entitlement, such as "Well you are not using it that weekend." for my lorry, so feel free to set your feelings from the start, so there is no confusion.

Getoutmypockets

Visit site
I'm in the no camp and would be annoyed that I was approached in this situation. If you were looking for extra work for pony fair play, however sounds like you are doing plenty of riding, the horse is new to you and frankly why should you fork out all the costs of having a horse for someone else to ride and another to make money out of!

They are taking you for a mug. Is this your first horse? If I was happy for someone to ride I'd be expecting jobs done on that day however would never let anyone I do not know ride, brilliant rider or not!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
It would be a 'no' from me too. The horse is being worked 5 days a week. Two off won't do it any harm.

concorde

Visit site
I think your instructor is using you.
She has found you a horse and is now thinking she can make money out of it by using it for lessons.
Bet she made a tidy cut out of the sale price too.
Just be firm , the pony is yours !

Embo

Visit site
...One yard I was at would occasionally use a livery pony, without the owner's permission, when the riding school was busy. In fact at BHS inspection time they would tack our horses up and trot them up for the vets inspection.

Once also in a "private" yard run by the head instructor of our local Pony Club, I went for a training day for our B test. We all had to swap horses for the test, so she had us swapping horses during the 2 hour training session. At the end of the session she told us all not to tell anyone we had ridden XXXXXX as the owner would be upset, and she did not need to know.

These were both when I was a teenager, and I would blow the lid on both now, but at the time no one told.

So, if moving yards to the RI's then I would make abundantly clear the the pony is your pony, and is not to be used for lessons ever, without written permission from you, so there can be no misunderstanding....

When I was sharing a horse, a similar thing happened to one of the owners on the yard. Turned up one afternoon to find her horse being ridden by a stranger with the YM giving a lesson.

The owner usually came to ride of an evening so they obviously weren't expecting her for several hours. The owner moved yards shortly after.

It's scary to think how many times had this happened? And how many other horses?

In answer to the OP, I would be saying no. It's far too soon for someone else to be riding. Doesn't matter how many days you ride. If it feels wrong, then there's your answer.

Arzada

Visit site

Me too. I'd be reviewing my move to the instructor's yard.

Crackerz

Visit site
I'd be taking my tack home with me every day (in the hope the wouldn't sink as low as using another horses tack just to use your pony!)