Something awful killed my mare today - any ideas or thoughts? (gruesome details, no photos)

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
She didn't get as far as the new field, unfortunately. The quarry out the back has got very close - I don't know if that could have thrown up something.
No Giant Hogweed or anything else poisonous in the field, and I've been there for years.

There is a scrapyard next door - that and the quarry are why we're moving. I don't know if there's anything poisonous there.
Battery acid from batteries ?

PurBee

Visit site
Im so sorry youve had to go through this tragedy. I cannot imagine how difficult that must have been. Im so sorry for your loss of your beautiful mare.

As suggested i would get a post mortem if possible. Ive been googling the symptoms and the scrapyard next door piqued my interest. Radiator coolant can contain anti-freeze ethylene glycol - which can attract animals because of its sweet taste. It causes very quick blindness in cats, and im wondering if your mare was exposed to some and drank some, hence the eye symptoms and laboured breathing.

Is there a stream or ditch in the field they drink from that illegally dumped car liquid contents have been allowed to leach into?

In your position i would immediately take soil samples in the field near the scrapyard - have a look for moist patches - put soil samples in sandwich bags taken from along the border of the field adjoining scrapyard. Especially look for any dips in the field where any liquid would end up flowing to and drenching. That soil can be tested for ethylene glycol.

Scrapyards by law have to empty fluids from cars before they get crushed. They used to get crushed with fluids in and drip everywhere in the yard. My oh had a short stint at a scrapyard yrs ago and it was his job to drain/dispose of fluids, which he said, the scrapyard was not so fussed where they went and were power washed off the concrete yard, into yard drain which soaked away to an adjacent field, before EU laws were brought in. His job was created due to EU laws, but i suppose smaller scrapyards might not be so diligent about fluids. So its very possible that a ditch/stream could be contaminated via a unscrupulous scrapyard just letting fluids flow from their yard.

Here’s an equine case study of acute ethylene glycol toxicosis - different dosage likely than your mare, and also treated straight away rather than hours.

https://beva.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.2042-3292.2002.tb00178.x

Methanol also causes quite rapid blindness, but im not sure if a scrapyard would have gallons of that from cars.

The burn between forelegs might be itching frenzy on a fence post? I dont know if ethylene glycol causes skin itchiness, topical or ingested, but is it a possibility she rubbed herself due to itching?

The other consideration is mushroom poisoning. There’s very few wild mushrooms that cause very quick deaths within hours - even the deadliest death cap and destroying angel. Both of those are not commonly known to cause blindness, yet its worth considering mushroom poisoning as we’ve had rain and night temps have fallen, ive been on a couple of mushroom hunts and seen them sprouting up.
If your mare has been having a few for a couple of days, the accumulative effects could have then resulted in an acute attack of full organ failure/colic /breathing issues - very much like you describe. The eye symptoms dont align with mushroom toxins though but could be a differential in horses, due to BP altering wildly and occular blood vessels bursting.

Do you have mature trees in the field? I am surprised you saw her 100% well the previous evening if it was mushroom poisoning, so i lean more towards spillage from the scrapyard of coolant/antifreeze products leaching into the field.

A post mortem can test for ethylene glycol - oral /tongue swipe test/blood test.

Again, im so sorry this happened, i really feel for you, despite the traumatic end, she knew you were there with her and a comfort for her.

xx

Visit site
So sorry, my thoughts are with you. Could they be burns from a cigarette or something? I’d like to think not but unfortunately there are some odd people about.

Lois Lame

Visit site
I'm suspicious of human intervention.

When I thought your horses had gone to the new place, I thought someone had been attracted to a beautiful horse and done something to her. Now that I know the horses didn't get to the new place - and I've heard about the scrapyard - I'm suspicious of someone at the scrapyard. Was there someone there who didn't used to be there?

I'm very sorry this happened to you and your mare.

bonny

Visit site
I'm really sorry for your loss, it sounds horrific. Generally the simplest explanation is the best and it does sound like a horrible colic to me- they can literally throw themselves on the floor repeatedly which could explain all the wounds, they don’t roll when they're really painful
This is what I thought too, unless you are going to have a PM I think it’s what killed your mare.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm really sorry for your loss, it sounds horrific. Generally the simplest explanation is the best and it does sound like a horrible colic to me- they can literally throw themselves on the floor repeatedly which could explain all the wounds, they don’t roll when they're really painful

I agree. The wisest thing a vet ever said to me about making diagnoses, when I thought my mare had broken her leg and he thought she would have pus in the foot, was "common things are common".

I doubt if there is anything but colic which would have caused what was described, and it certainly does provide a complete explanation.

The vet's first thought was that the colic had come first, and she had rubbed herself on the ground with pain, but the hairless areas were smooth, not scuffed, and how could she rub between her forelegs? He came round to our thoughts when the person with him said she thought there was a chemically smell.

Horses seem to have a safety mechanism with rubs, where the hair pulls out at the roots but leaves the skin intact. I've seen it many times over the years. She could get the patch between the front legs by having her legs out in front of her and scrabbling along the floor in pain. I have also seen vets, faced with incredibly distraught owners, make noises which can be interpreted as agreement to suggestions that people are making, because it wouldn't help in the moment to do anything else. There's always a feeling of "never say never" as well, when the slightest possibility exists.

You've been through, are going through, what must the the worst nightmare of any horse owner. I'm so sorry. I hope you can find peace with it some time.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
When I found my stallion with what we at first thought was colic, he had been slamming his head on the floor in pain and completely skinned it. Didn't damage his eyes though. In his case it was heart failure and all his organs shutting down.
So very sorry for what you and your poor mare have gone through. Mine had a PM because he was insured.

hobo

Visit site
So very sorry for your loss. I think Purbee's post has lots of helpful information and also ycbm's post is very on the money as well. Another thought not mentioned is colic induced by grass sickness if you live from Yorkshire upwards. There are two types the one where they slowly fad away in front of you and also sudden on set extreme colic and death. We have just entered a high risk time with the lack of grass and this sudden flush. Nothing will bring your horse back but I hope you get some peace and though end was stressful it was short and you were with her.

Birker2020

Visit site
I am so sorry about your loss which must have been very distressing for you.

With your concerns about the field and the quarry and scrapyard next door I wonder whether you could apply for an environmental report from the Land Registry. The environmental search is a search carried out with an environmental agency (not the Environmental Agency) that gives details of the past uses of the land and the land in the vicinity of the property and whether such past uses are likely to have caused any potential contamination of the land on which the property is situated.

https://www.orj.co.uk/a-guide-to-environmental-searches-when-buying-a-property/#:~:text=The environmental search is a,on which the property is

You can also get a mining report
https://www.gov.uk/check-if-property-is-affected-by-coal-mining

The HSE might have some information about the quarry you refer to.
https://www.hse.gov.uk/quarries/riddor.htm

I don't know if any of that is helpful to you at all but it might be worth a consideration. And something that you might discover that you can link up to the post mortem if you have one.