Something has attacked me

dominobrown

Visit site
As I was sorting the muck heap out this morning, forking back the poo that people have dumped at the bottom of the ramp :mad: I got a sharp stinging pain in my leg. It felt like I had been stung/bitten, and after 5 minutes went very hot and swelt up to the about half the size of a golf ball.

It is now half way between and tennis ball and golf ball and is still sore, however it has quite severe bruising, and the bruising has appeared on other parts of my leg around it. There is no obvious 'bite' marks, and I didn't notice getting attacked by anything such as an adder.

It looks like a horse has kicked me, but again, I hope I would notice that kind of thing! :confused: Its still really hot and sore.
Any ideas? There was a few brambles/ nettles, which stung my arms, but they have gone now.
Is there an evil spider or something in my muck heap?

111ex111

Visit site
sounds like an allergic reaction to something, maybe a horse fly? few weeks ago I got bitten by a horse fly and it went massive! still got a scar from it now, was bright red but didnt bruise :/ I would get it checked out!

dominobrown

Visit site
I am allergic to horse fly bites, but I normally itch like mad and it swells up loads, but never bruises like this. It look and feels like something has whacked me hard on the leg! Weird... I thought it was too late in the year for nasty bugs! :(

TrasaM

Visit site
I got a similar nip from something when I was spreading soil conditioner last year.it felt like a bite but never found what did it. My wrist really swelled up and was very sore. It took a few days to go down. Not nice. Try antihistamines it might help to control the swelling and discomfort :)

FfionWinnie

Visit site
My Dad had something similar in the summer, vaguely realised something bit him and it turned into a mahoosive purple bruise, it worried me it looked so bad but he survived it unscathed. Took ages to go tho.

lhotse

Visit site
Haven't seen a horsefly in weeks, the frosts would have killed them off. Adders would be hibernating now, it's possible that you have disturbed one in your muckheap. Could also have been a hornet or wasp, they would seek somewhere warm to overwinter. I would be inclined to get it checked out if it's bruising elsewhere.

dominobrown

Visit site
I think its too cold for horse flies, though have maybe disturbed something. I don't see it being an adder as I would have teeth marks (?) and I would of noticed it, as well as feeling very ill probably!

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Good to see Dr. Google is up to it normal soothing tricks then :D

Wasps are very drowsy at them moment and might've fallen asleep at the wheel in your boot?

But I would be concerned about the bruising - might be worth a trip to walk in centre?

dumpling

Visit site
Urgh!

I had the same reaction this year but was in Summer and I just blamed it on a horsefly! I think it's too late for these now though.

SpruceRI

Visit site
Red ant bites are horrible. Feel like a bee sting to me. When I get bitten by them I swell a bit and the area goes red but not bruised.

In the summer I got bitten twice by an ant on the back of my hand - it looked like a snake bite and the wound took a good month to heal/deflate.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Too cold for horse flies and adders but depending on where you are in the country there's some pretty nasty centipedes and spiders that you could have disturbed or half crushed that might have given you a bite. On a more serious note, are you sure it wasn't a rat? Quick nip and away. If so, get it checked out as they carry all sorts of nasty diseases x

dominobrown

Visit site
I don't think it as a rat as I would have marks surely? I know we have a lot adders in the area, but I thought I would be too far north for other nasty things (top of cumbria).
My brother is a trainee doctor and he thinks it is some sort of bite, causing the blood to rush to area, therefore causing bruising. My pulse etc is normal so it looks like I will live :D

Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't bite one of my ponies!

Elsbells

Visit site
Sleeping/hibernating adder! A thing of nightmares and rapid breathing!:eek:

Maybe you wouldn't see a puncture wound?

Hope ŷour feeling better soon.

Archangel

Visit site
It could have been a hibernating something possibly a queen wasp, they like compost bins so maybe the muck heap was suitable. I think you would have felt the adrenaline reaction though (like an electric shock). I accidently disturbed one in a flower pot :eek: and got stung on the hand. :(

Unlikely to be an adder as they tend to hibernate somewhere dry like down a bunny hole but do like the muck heap in the summer so watch out!

We live right in the middle of adder land :eek: so have to be careful when they are likely to be out basking. Nearly trod on one last year but it bit my poor dog instead :( Dog was ok though :)

If it is a huge swelling/hot I would get it checked out - hope you are OK.

MissChaos

Visit site
Blooming well hope so, after four months ;)

Can't see what's behind that link as am on phone but I'm not clicking it...