Something like a pelham ...

sanjo

Visit site
My horse is doing BE100, she is cracking XC but the pelham she goes in and is reasonably happy tends to make her nose down when sometimes I need her head higher. She likes the mild mouthpiece so any other suggestions that we could try that don't have such poll pressure? Thank you in advance.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
A universal would be my first port of call in terms of stronger than a snaffle, but without the lowering action. You could add a curb chain too if you wanted - there are ones that clip/buckle on so you don’t need the hooks.
Alternatively- any reason you wouldn’t go for a plain snaffle?

sanjo

Visit site
A universal would be my first port of call in terms of stronger than a snaffle, but without the lowering action. You could add a curb chain too if you wanted - there are ones that clip/buckle on so you don’t need the hooks.
Alternatively- any reason you wouldn’t go for a plain snaffle?
She runs through a snaffle, due to her exuberance. It's kinder on her mouth to have a stronger bit.

Fanatical

Visit site
For a lifting action I have used a Cheltenham Gag with great success. You can then either use it with one (straight on the gag rein) or two reins (with one on the snaffle and one on the gag rein). I have done both.