Soo tempted to hog Merlin!!

merlin&brigit<3

Visit site
I really am so tempted to hog my little cob Merlin but a) he's petrified of clippers and i'd have to re-do it every 3 weeks and b) if i hate it it will take about 2 years to grow back... and my aunt warns me it will always look awful ever afterwards once its grown back BUT i think he would really suit it!! :)

Welshie Squisher

Visit site
If u do a search ( show me your trimmed and tidied cobs) you'll see loads of pics of cobs that have had ano attack of the clippers :D
They look smart and they do grow back to their natural glory :)

violethillx

Visit site
It'll grow back long enough to plait after about 6 months in my experience :) go for it! I hated hogged manes but having bought a pony who had it done it's really grown on me, I think once you're used to it, it does look good on the right horse x

jodie3

Visit site
And once it grows back you will never know he had been hogged.

Do you keep him near Priors Farm vets? (just being nosy!)

Floxie

Visit site
I agree that cobs look better with hogged manes, and even that it's 'right' - but I also think it's a bit of a shame to take away their natural fly (sun, rain) protection if it's not necessary :) I loaned a cob earlier in the year and I thought it was such a shame that everyone needled me to hog him, because 'that's what you do with cobs' - since I wasn't showing him, I couldn't see what use that would be to either of us!

merlin&brigit<3

Visit site
I agree that cobs look better with hogged manes, and even that it's 'right' - but I also think it's a bit of a shame to take away their natural fly (sun, rain) protection if it's not necessary :) I loaned a cob earlier in the year and I thought it was such a shame that everyone needled me to hog him, because 'that's what you do with cobs' - since I wasn't showing him, I couldn't see what use that would be to either of us!

true :) although i am probably going to do a few shows and for pony club camp it would mean no plaiting :D would have to rug up in rain though as he lives out 24/7

jodie3

Visit site
Forest Row side of Horsted Keynes. Probably drive past him a couple of times a week at least!!

I'll keep a look out for him!

Devonshire dumpling

Visit site
If you do decide to clip him, you can desensitise him to the clippers, watch some Monty/Kelly Marks... they use electric toothbrushes etc it's just a case of spending some time getting them used to it X