Sooo....I got an Optimus saddle.....

Hippona

Visit site
Following on from this thread....

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=497377

....I went to R+R armed with lads latest template.

Had a look at Wintecs, Thorowgoods and Optimus range.

Had a discussion with saddle fitter, decided on Optimus GP and left without anything as didn't have any in stock in Havanna.:p

Ordered one from Rideaway as they let you try and return if no good.

So....I got a havanna GP , measuring guage and several different gullets. Measured up the lad-came up as a MW fitting (makes sense- Wide is too wide and his current Medium fit is too narrow) fitted the gullet easily and tried it on. Looked good - no lifting at the back which has been one the main problems with whichever saddle I've tried. No bridging. Sits behind the shoulder OK. Looked a bit odd as I use high-wither saddlecloths and this has a cut-back head so the saddle cloth was poking up high.....

Anyhow- horse hadn't been ridden for 2 weeks for various reasons- and he's most certainly a horse that is better when ridden regularly- so that plus the wind equalled very fresh horse.....who decided to get loose and ponce around the yard in new saddle. So I took this opportunity to check it for movement and bounce:D....and it was very secure despite the girth not being done up tightly, no bouncing or sliding up his neck.

Anyhoo.....got on board- went for a verry bouncy ride, plenty of trotting -no lifting/bouncing of the saddle- nice relaxed walk, no-where suitable for a canter :(

Really comfortable saddle I must say, and all in all I like it. It looks smarter than I thought it would too.

Only thing I don't like is the girths straps are really short- and very stiff- had to go and buy a longer girth to test saddle out:mad:

Soo....all in all - so fas so good..... I am keeping it.

Watch this space.:D