Sorbitol and problems with horses

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Because of problems with sugar, I have been using sugar free Polo's as rewards for just over a year. During this year the Older Appy has had an on/off cough (steaming hay etc) and she has always had a bit of a seasonal reaction to pollen. This summer it has got worse and worse and she has also been very itchy. Vet been recently for MOT and jabs, nothing of note found, lungs clear etc. Then earlier this week she was wheezing and itching like mad, which prompted me to do a bit more in-depth research into what she was eating. Can find very little about sorbitol and horses, but can find that it can cause shortness of breath and itching in people. I stopped giving her sugar free mints on Wednesday and am pleased to say that her breathing has improved and so has the itching, interestingly her nasal bones are more obvious and I *think* that she has had some swelling there , but it must have come up very, very slowly.
I'm just interested in whether other people have come across similar problems.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Very interesting. Sorbitol gave my husband a really dodgy stomach. Thought there was something serious wrong before we realised the connection.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I think I would have twigged earlier if there had been any issue of it working as a laxative with the mare, as it was digestion remained ok (trust an Appy to not have the classic reaction!) I was starting to get worried about her earlier this week, very noisy breathing and I think it may have made her feet sensetive, but that is difficult to be sure about, as we had her shoes pulled in January and the weather has made our ground a bit tricky, so I'm not sure about that.