Sore back when Mare in Season

pickwickayr

Visit site
I own a 7 year old New forest mare who is quite sensitive in her back and regularly has physio/chiropractor. This year we have started eventing at BE 80 level so she has been having regular treatments and she is moving so much better for it. However yesterday she was cantering round the field being a loony, bucking like mad and also bunny hopping behind at times. I stuck her on the lunge to see what was going on and she was tight through her back in canter although her walk and trot was beautiful. We have a BE ODE on Sunday, so I booked chiropractor who is coming on Friday afternoon.

However it just occured to me that she is in season, and the last time she was looking tight in canter, bucking and occasional bunny hopping was last time she was in season also. So it has just clicked that she gets sore in her back whenever she is in season... she is not mareish really and is kept in a field with 2 other mares so only sees geldings when we are competing so doesnt really display being in season other than the stiff back.

Obviously normally she can have afew quiet days/days off but when I have an event coming up its not ideal to give her the days off she needs. Is there anything I can do to help? I dont know if there are any supplements that would help? Or has anyone else had this problem with their mares?

Do you think I should get the chiropractor out or would that not help if its due to her seasons?

thanks very much for any replies!

TallulahBright

Visit site
Mine is on Regumate for the whole summer as she was last year. She gets v sore ovaries which presents as sore back. The vet said the ligaments also run close to the kidneys so potentially pain there too.
Hope you get it sorted and good luck at the weekend!

Lolo

Visit site
I'd phone the vet and explain- they might recommend Regumate, but they'll need to blood test first to make sure it's a safe choice.

Our little mare suffered in her seasons, and we were advised to put her on Regumate with no blood test beforehand. This resulted in her tying up horrendously, and further blood tests revealed the Regumate was never going to help her.

belle31

Visit site
My mare colic's with the pain of her seasons so is permanently on Regumate. I wish I had known earlier as she suffered for a few years. She is now happy and pain free :)

pickwickayr

Visit site
Thank you! I will phone my vet and ask.

Ive spent a fortune on Chirporactors/Physios over the last few years and cant believe Ive just realised that it happens whenever shes in season!

ilvpippa

Visit site
Try no moody no by Pegasus. Mines on it as soon as she's turned out 24/7 for spring summer & I take it off during winter. Has seriously stopped her seasons affecting her!