Sore Back

bushbaby28

Visit site
Hiya,

My 14.3 stocky cob x has a sore back at the moment and has been lame in his right shoulder. physio had a look and found where it was sore. Its been almost 2 weeks and it doesn't appear to be getting better although at least not lame now. was advised to do light work to keep him going but doesn't seem to be helping.

Although this sore spot is just behind his saddle does anybody think his saddle could be making it worse? rode him bareback and he wasn't even a bit stiff and went better than ever. he had his saddled fitted in June but you know what youngsters are like (hes 5 and is constantly changing)

Any advice on ways to help him recover much appreciated!

kit279

Visit site
Keep him in a small pen for 3-4 weeks and don't ride him, give him a 10 day course of bute - the more they hoon the less they heal. Most back problems are saddle related in my experience but having a rider on your back makes it virtually impossible for them to get better. Think about when you have twanged something, the last thing you want to do is to carry a load. When he comes back into work, don't lunge, just hack out in straight lines at first. I'd definitely get the saddle fitter out as well.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Did your physio look at the saddle at all?

It'd be the first thing that I would be looking at - and until I was happy that it had been given the all clear would not be working him in it.

I also wouldn't be riding him whilst his back is sore. He needs time to recover, and I personally don't think that riding whilst a horse is like this gives them that time.

Becky123

Visit site
My mare has just come back into work due to a sore shoulder, i have had the saddle fitter out to check and it has been pressing down on 1 side, she is fine now.