Sore Fronts

mcnaughty

Visit site
I have recently (3 months ago) bought a 4yo Highland who lives out 24/7 and when I bought him he had fronts on. I had them taken off straight away as neither of my other natives are shod and do perfectly well without. However he is struggling on stony ground and looks slightly unlevel in front in the school. Leading in from the field he will avoid stones. He is fed regular hay, happy hoof, pony nuts, micronised linseed, s beet, top spec. Any advice please? Or should I just give in and out fronts on him?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
The ground is so wet this winter that his feet haven't had a chance to harden, can you bear to give it longer till things dry out?
If unlevel in your arena then I'd suggest a vet check to rule anything else out tho.

mcnaughty

Visit site
I would have assumed that the Highlands of Scotland get pretty wet too. I have asked the lady who broke him the same question as it was her who put the fronts on so think perhaps they experienced a similar issue with him.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
What is his hoof conformation like?

Anecdotally a lot of people report footiness on topspec, and it's not something I would feed regardless there are better options - forageplus or equimins adv. complete if you want a pellet over a powder.
I also wouldn't feed happy hoof, firstly you are doubling up by feeding the balancer too, and it's ingredients just aren't great. I'd rather feed a plain (usually grass) chaff.

What is he doing work wise? How would you feel about boots for a bit? The unlevel in the school would concern me as possibly separate to the footiness.

mcnaughty

Visit site
What is his hoof conformation like?

Anecdotally a lot of people report footiness on topspec, and it's not something I would feed regardless there are better options - forageplus or equimins adv. complete if you want a pellet over a powder.
I also wouldn't feed happy hoof, firstly you are doubling up by feeding the balancer too, and it's ingredients just aren't great. I'd rather feed a plain (usually grass) chaff.

What is he doing work wise? How would you feel about boots for a bit? The unlevel in the school would concern me as possibly separate to the footiness.

Its good. Farrier is happy with him. His toes were a little long when I got him but a couple of trims later this is going in the right direction.

mcnaughty

Visit site
I'll cut out the top spec and swap out the happy hoof for something simpler. I always try to avoid sugar due to her other pony being a bit of a sharp sod. (welsh B) but him and the shetland are coping very well in the mud with their weight and feet. All of them get ridden regularly and we have been barefoot for years now so was surprised when the Highland didn't seem to be coping very well.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
the evidence is anecdotal for making horses footy even when I've seen others say ingredients wise it shouldn't
they also don't provide easily accessible full analyses and those that are into hooves tend to like to see what they are feeding before purchase.

Essentially there is no need to feed it when there are plenty of other better options especially if not NOPS restricted.

NOISYGIRL2

Visit site
Nothing wrong with topspec. In general I would look at what sugar and start % is in what you are feeding, speedibeet is 5% check what the others are and aim for 10% and below to be safe. Has he been checked for low grade laminitis ?

Not all horses can cope unshod so I would personally seek the advice of a farrier for their opinion.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I have recently (3 months ago) bought a 4yo Highland who lives out 24/7 and when I bought him he had fronts on. I had them taken off straight away as neither of my other natives are shod and do perfectly well without. However he is struggling on stony ground and looks slightly unlevel in front in the school. Leading in from the field he will avoid stones. He is fed regular hay, happy hoof, pony nuts, micronised linseed, s beet, top spec. Any advice please? Or should I just give in and out fronts on him?
My vet gave me a solution of Eucalyptus and Iodine solution and I painted that on my mares feet to harden them when she went barefoot for five weeks whilst on box rest. TBH she' still be barefoot now whilst on box rest as she got on so well with it but vet wanted heart bar shoes with extensions for support and she was wearing down her feet too much walking around the yard in hand.

It was very effective and hardened them well even though the previous sentence sounds contradictory!