Sore mouth?

ginnyspinner

Visit site
Hi all,

We had a fab day out hunting at the weekend but i was mortified to find that Carly had cuts to the corners of her mouth at the end of the day.
She is hunted in hanging cheek snaffle and normally has no problems or discomfort, however she did pull like a steam train on Saturday and our brakes were lacking!
I feel dreadful that she was sore - any suggestions?
The bit is a good fit - should i have something stronger, ie less pull more breaks or something milder like a rubber or happymouth bit?
All advice greatly received x x

RunToEarth

Visit site
Hey- my horse does it all the time- he had four months off in the autumn to let it heal and still did it again! I put bonjela on to heal it, vaseline on the bit when I ride him and when the cut has healed a little I put piles cream on to shrink the skin. x

gemjar82

Visit site
My horse really pulls and i have previously cut his mouth in a snaffle, i ride him (xc and hunting) in a dutch 3 ring gag that way you can have it like a snaffle or on the second or third ring depending on how strong they feel on the day.

Hatshepsut

Visit site
My neddy hadn't been ridden for a while when I got him so his mouth was very tender. I started him in a happy mouth snaffle but this seemed to worsen the soreness. I was suggested to just try him in a stainless steel snaffle & lather the corners of his mouth with vaseline when I was riding. When it was at it's worst, after riding I would sudocrem the corners to improve it's healing. His mouth is so much better now (only 6 weeks later) but I still use the vaseline just in case.