Sores behind elbow - girth recommendations?

viceversa

Visit site
Hi all

Over the past few weeks my horse has developed sores right behind his elbow. They are a good 2 inches in front of where the girth lies when he is stood up, but this is all I can put it down to. On both sides but much worse on one side where he is white and pink skinned. The hair is completely rubbed off and I wondered if is was from the wet sand in the school flicking up then chafing as it appeared during the worst rain. But after riding the skin looks as though it has been trapped almost?

He currently wears a thorowgood girth, its sort of plastic. It's kept clean.

Any ideas on a girth which may alleviate the problem? As I'm worried it will break the skin and I'll be unable to ride him.

I wondered on sheepskin lined girth but would this just get wet and dirty/sandy in bad weather? Would plain leather be best?

Hope someone can help!! Many thanks.

ilvpippa

Visit site
I've noticed this on one side of my girls tummy. Her armpits have little hair left! Not sore though ! I've put it down to her moulting & her girth cover pulling hairs out so have taken it off & back to leather which seems to have made it no worse x

Louby

Visit site
When I seen the title of your post I was going to suggest the Thorowgood one as I bought a beautiful soft Albion leather girth that was cut back at the elbow area and it rubbed my boy, yet the Thorowgood didnt? I did use a KN Elite padded sheepskin girth sleeve for a while after and although not cheap was brilliant.