Sorry another ? assisted livery mon-fri nr crooks peak - is there a market for it ?

meesha

Visit site
Sorry know you are probably all sick of me asking questions, but as I said you are my focus group .... thinking of offering part assisted livery monday to friday - this would be turnout/bring in - feed & rug morning and night at a charge of £40 per week (or £30 if only wanted am or pm not both monday to friday) for comparison diy livery would be £20 per week. If horse stables there would be an additional small charge for mucking out. Would this be about right - it includes all year grazing, grass schooling paddock and stable on nice small yard with good hacking but no arena.

Hopefully last question..... !!

L&M

Visit site
I think that assisted livery is a good idea, but can't comment if it is needed in your area.

All my liveries are assisted diy m-f, and it works really well. I t/o and b/i so that those at work have no stress getting back and forth to the yard. I also offer 'full livery' days and holiday cover. I will also cover at weekends, but stress to new liveries that this is only in emergencies and needs to booked in well in advance.

The other benefits of offering assisted livery is that you are in control of turn out and bringing in times. One of my pet hates, especially on a small yard, is a horse being left out on its own if the owner is delayed. I have a very calm yard as all the horses are in a settled routine within their herds. Equally I offer feeding when stabled at no extra charge, so all horses are fed at the same time preventing any jealousy or stress.

Any other questions let me know!

meesha

Visit site
cheers sidney - do you change your charge to take into account if they need mucking out or do owners tend to come up anyway at least once a day to do it ? Agree about holiday cover and weekends, would do the same as you but it would def. need to be booked in advance (unless of course an emergency) but tbf I pass the yard gate literally twice a day on way to do mine. the only bummer is with hunting approaching I like to get out on a tuesday morning and it is a very early morning to start with so would need to have a think about that.

L&M

Visit site
I have a yard diary and ask clients to put in the diary what they need doing. I write down any additional charges next to this so know what to bill at the end of the mnth. On Full days if the owners do come up, it is usually to ride only.

Hunting wise I have the same issue as you, as hunt twice a week. Again, with any person enquiring I make it clear that I hunt on those 2 days, and although am happy to provide normal services, they have to be done around my hunting hours.

Tuedays are when I have an issue so for AH I turn out before I leave (makes it a very early morning though!!!) and then do any stable duties on my return. For full hunting days in the mid winter again I have an early start and muck out, t/o for a few hours before I go. If the weather is foul I will then bring back in before I set off. Also on a tues I keep my hunting days short so am usually home by 3pm to attend to the liveries, but on a Sat assuming clients are doing their own horses, I can stay out longer. It is hard work but do-able if you have understanding liveries.

Last edited:

meesha

Visit site
Thanks sidney - good to know it can be done and not miss out on the nice quieter mid week hunting ! you never know there may be someone join my potential yard who wants to come along hunting - wouldnt say no to half the fuel bill and a bit of company

yard diary also very good idea - will leave one by the kettle !!

L&M

Visit site
Just make sure you have a watertight contract, and a set of yard rules that clients read and sign on arrival. It makes life a lot easier if everyone knows where they stand.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!