Sorry, another insurance question (premium increase)

Muddywellies

Visit site
Just had my renewal through (NFU). Its gone up from £95 a month to £112. Yearly premium is £1300 for the year. Horse is only insured for 3k. I have got vet fees cover which makes up £800 of the premium. Obvious solution is to take vets fees cover off, but sods law, as soon as I do that I'll need it. I know everyone's premiums have shot up so what have others done ?

Bobthecob15

Visit site
My NFU didn’t increase at all and I had one £400 claim this year. I expected it would but perhaps I was lucky?! Is it worth ringing them and discussing? Emporium seems to have a minimum claim value of £1000 which put me off…also I think they expect you to pay for something like 10% of each claim? I thought NFU was better value in our case x

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My NFU didn’t increase at all and I had one £400 claim this year. I expected it would but perhaps I was lucky?! Is it worth ringing them and discussing? Emporium seems to have a minimum claim value of £1000 which put me off…also I think they expect you to pay for something like 10% of each claim? I thought NFU was better value in our case x
They changed the excess thing, that was why I’d switched but after asking here Barton bounty kindly let me read through her policy and check that I could have a fixed access.
Pretty sure I don’t have a minimum claim either

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ah that does make sense, my friend who uses them said it was the case, that's good that they changed back then!
Yep really good, I think they are a good company now but there was no way i wanted to end up paying 17.5% of my claim on top on the excess, hence shopping round and going elsewhere for a year.
I've also kept my premium low by insuring my horse for a really minimal value. I'm not interested in claiming money back if he dies- In fact last time i was able to do that It only occurred to me about a year later! I solely need third party and vets fees cover.

05jackd

Visit site
Have you tried querying this with them? I have several horses insured with the same company. The past two years they have tried to hit me with quite hefty rises despite no claims. I queried it and they immediately gave a reduction.

Fire sign

Visit site
KBIS wacked my renewal up to nearly 2K last year after NO CLAIMS so I tried to defect to NFU but they wanted me to re vet my horse only 1 year after purchase so I stayed with KBIS and stumped up the cash ….. really re thinking the whole insurance thing now to be honest though …it’s just crazy money .. there has to be a case for just putting the money away in a special fund for vet’s bills ..

expanding_horizon

Visit site
I have my tack with what was barclays sports insurance (has changed name recently). It is 40-50 a year for 2 saddles and better value and better cover than any horse insurance. It is only £1500 in a locked vehicle though, but full value in a locked building or on the horse if stolen off horse.

I have 3rd party via BD (would have membership anyway)

I have KBIS catastrophe cover for I think it was most recently £400 a year. Best cover in terms of limit and coverage I could find. Many other catastrophe covers dont cover much or have low total limits per year.

So I have saddles, third party and and some vet fee cover for £450 a year (not counting £70 odd BD membership as I dont take it for insurance reasons).

poiuytrewq

Visit site
KBIS wacked my renewal up to nearly 2K last year after NO CLAIMS so I tried to defect to NFU but they wanted me to re vet my horse only 1 year after purchase so I stayed with KBIS and stumped up the cash ….. really re thinking the whole insurance thing now to be honest though …it’s just crazy money .. there has to be a case for just putting the money away in a special fund for vet’s bills ..
Absolutely. I’m just a bit nervous incase I get a big bill before putting enough away.
I wish I could go down that route

expanding_horizon

Visit site
Absolutely. I’m just a bit nervous incase I get a big bill before putting enough away.
I wish I could go down that route
I'd put a sudden bill on credit card no interest and pay off monthly until paid.

But I've had my horse 3 years, he was initially insured and it no longer cost effective to insure relative to exclusions, except catastrophe insurance.

A new or high risk horse (e.g. in group shod turnout with changing companions) I would always try and insure fully.