Sorry - another question for cushings owners - insurance?

LeneHorse

Visit site
My horse has just been diagnosed with Cushings and has started on pergolide (having read the thread on here I think it is the new expensive version!). She will also require further blood tests. I'm not sure whether I would be able to claim on my insurance for any of this. I suppose I'll have to declare to them that she has cushings. She is only 14 so still has full insurance cover. I'd be interested in people's experience of how their insurance companies have dealt with this. I'm with Scottish Equestrian insurance if that means anything.
thanks - it's a steep learning curve joining the cushings club!

SKY

Visit site
can i ask is it tablet or liquid. also how much do you give him. also how much is it, if you dont mind me asking. it's just my friends horse is awaiting blood test results and just would like to help her with abit of info.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Hi - haven't got my bill yet but please look at the other thread on here about the cost of pergolide - it is full of useful information from people.

Nats

Visit site
It should all be covered on your insurance, usually for 12 months from first diagnosis, unless your horse has a history of laminitis in which case it may be considered a related condition. Whether you claim or not, you'll have to inform them as it will now be on your horse's veterinary history, so you've nothing to lose by claiming. My insurance company have accepted my claim for Cushing's in principle (which would include costs of drugs and blood tests), but I've not yet exceeded my excess. I do now have an exclusion for Cushing's, laminitis and EMS though.

Ali2

Visit site
Can't comment in relation to PPID as our Cushings pony is not insured. However, my big lad is insured with Scottish Equestrian, as was my previous horse, and I have always found them to be easy and pleasant to deal with, good response times and good payers.