Sorry, Another Saddle Question for Arab and other challenging-shaped horse people

Flame_

Visit site
If you were going to order a new custom saddle for your croup-high, wide barreled, flattish-backed (across ways, not so much front to back), medium shouldered, moderately-high but wide-withered, forward-girth-grooved, leisure/ maybe-one-day low level endurance horse, who can, on occasion, be a sharp little acrobat, who would you go to and what brands might work?

I'm in the North West.
Saddle Exchange is out, I already have a RP and horse doesn't like it.
Arabian Saddle company is out, no distributors north of Birmingham and I'm not going to trust a random down south to do a saddle fit from photos.
Village Saddlery is out, he's local with a good rep but I can't be doing with him.

Second hand could take forever, mainly because horse is weird shaped and I don't know of enough weird shaped saddles to guess what will work. I also really would like black, buffalo leather and perfect-for-me seat and knee rolls which I'm not going to find by trial and error second hand. Local independant saddle fitter couldn't help come up with anything second hand either.

Last edited:

JoannaC

Visit site
Well I bought a Harry Dabbs thinking at 8 she'd pretty much stopped growing but oh no after lockdown it stopped fitting her having only worn it a handful of times typical. Luckily my old Arabian Saddle Company seems to be acceptable for now but I was thinking when the time comes that i'd try a black country as that was what she was wearing when I tried her and was very comfy. I like that the Harry Dabbs come and fit with an actual tree and they have a couple suitable for flat backed awkward arabs lol The only thing is I didn't find it that comfortable but I went for a gp when I usually ride in a dressage saddle so might be that. Good luck they are such a nightmare to fit!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would call Kim Gordon at Kruger saddles. She comes out with loads of saddle trees, and actually selects a tree that fits. Then makes the saddle to your specification on that. She is not stuck with one shape or style of tree, it really will be the shape for your horse. She is also a magician for balance. The saddles are reasonably priced too, and you can choose basic or calf skin.

soloequestrian

Visit site
I've been using Heather Moffett saddles recently. I got one because I was struggling to find a saddle wide enough and flat enough for my KWPN and hers fit both those criteria. My other horse in theory has a totally different shape of back - much more dipped - but the saddles fit both of them really well. I use the Flexee which has a leather tree - the older version doesn't have a gullet plate and the newer version does. They just seem to be really adaptable saddles and they are also comfortable, inexpensive, readily available second hand and designed to put the rider in a good position.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If you were going to order a new custom saddle for your croup-high, wide barreled, flattish-backed (across ways, not so much front to back), medium shouldered, moderately-high but wide-withered, forward-girth-grooved, leisure/ maybe-one-day low level endurance horse, who can, on occasion, be a sharp little acrobat, who would you go to and what brands might work?

I'm in the North West.
Saddle Exchange is out, I already have a RP and horse doesn't like it.
Arabian Saddle company is out, no distributors north of Birmingham and I'm not going to trust a random down south to do a saddle fit from photos.
Village Saddlery is out, he's local with a good rep but I can't be doing with him.

Second hand could take forever, mainly because horse is weird shaped and I don't know of enough weird shaped saddles to guess what will work. I also really would like black, buffalo leather and perfect-for-me seat and knee rolls which I'm not going to find by trial and error second hand. Local independant saddle fitter couldn't help come up with anything second hand either.

I have Arabs and one has a lovely Heritage show WH saddle that was altered my Matt there from a template and photos, I can honestly say it fits him perfectly I was a bit worried doing it this way but I got it checked by my fitter and he said it fitted lovely, if you contact Matt he often has ex demos for sale and he will alter to fit your horse mine was half price and looked brand new.

Only thing is I don't really show that much and prefer the feel of a dressage saddle as both mine are quite sharp, and I feel more secure so I am toying with getting a dressage Heritage and flogging the other one.

Flame_

Visit site
That's the other major thing, leg security. Whenever I have to ride on, well, most saddles tbh, I usually feel like "jesus, I hope the horse behaves or I've no chance of staying on this". Once you've had a saddle the shape you trust to keep you on at the critical moment, you don't want to mess about trying other ideas!

I decided to take my horse down to the midlands and try to get him an arabian saddle. It's not certain to work out but since I know they're saddles I like to ride on, and, that since I own an arab, the gamble of a brand new saddle working out is perhaps at its best odds with a make targeted specifically at arabs. I have transport and prefer to stick with what i know, where possible, so that's the plan for now. Thank you for all the suggestions and they may still be explored if this plan doesn't work out the way I hope!

spookypony

Visit site
Am adoring my mare's Hidalgo (short, wide back) and my pony mare's HT (croup high, frankly bizarre shape). I ran out of options here in the UK, and asked around on a German forum, and fortunately an ex-pat German HHOer saddle fitter spotted my question! Both brands are leather-treed, but have a quite conventional look and feel. My mare's Hidalgo is a dressage saddle, in which she will hopefully be doing 60k endurance this year. It's a super saddle for both of us.

Flame_

Visit site
^^^^

Those sort of saddles are fascinating. I've spent hours gorping at photos of "ghost" saddles trying to arrive at any kind of conclusion about them.

I'm pretty confident that sort of thing wouldn't suit me. I like structure and kind of want a solid shape of a saddle to slot well into. I'm gutted that second hand is a no-go because from a security pov, up to a point, the older the better!

I don't think my little horse would embrace treeless either, actually. He is a contented, relaxed ride in his ???? years old, rock hard, wrong shaped saddle that is making his back swell up. Put him in anything that moves or that he feels the rider through and he goes all negative. Perhaps he could more do with a new rider than a new saddle, lol.

Billyandme

Visit site
I owned a very difficult to fit Arab/quarter horse who due to Cushings lost allot of muscle. Mat from Heritage saddlery was terrific. Came out and tried a few demos, measured up a template and I had a made to measure saddle. Beautiful saddle that fitted both of us perfectly. Cost less than an off the shelf Ideal or similar.

TPO

Visit site
Mother of Chickens had Ghost saddles. I dont think she posts on here anymore sadly. She might get an alert at a PM?

I had a crabbet Arabian mare and she had a m2m WH saddle on an Ideal tree.

I then bought an off the peg M/W Ideal GP and it fitted her perfectly too (was checked by a saddle fitter)

I cant help in regards to what tree because the m2m was over 20yrs ago now. The GP was an ebay bargain

spookypony

Visit site
^^^^

Those sort of saddles are fascinating. I've spent hours gorping at photos of "ghost" saddles trying to arrive at any kind of conclusion about them.

I'm pretty confident that sort of thing wouldn't suit me. I like structure and kind of want a solid shape of a saddle to slot well into. I'm gutted that second hand is a no-go because from a security pov, up to a point, the older the better!

I don't think my little horse would embrace treeless either, actually. He is a contented, relaxed ride in his ???? years old, rock hard, wrong shaped saddle that is making his back swell up. Put him in anything that moves or that he feels the rider through and he goes all negative. Perhaps he could more do with a new rider than a new saddle, lol.

The Spooky Pony had a Ghost (well, still has, but he's retired), and it's totally different from the leather treed saddles like the Hidalgo. Those ride much more like traditional saddles; much more structured.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can't resist, sorry ?. Can I ask why you only want saddle fitting ideas from people who are Arab or an odd shape?

Cdjwannabe

New User
Visit site
I've got a weird shaped gelding and I've had two custom made saddle in the past year from Bill at Saddle Tech supply.
Both made to measure, both fit me and the horse, both in beautiful leather.

I had a bad experience with Crewe last year so I would not recommend.

Flame_

Visit site
I've got a weird shaped gelding and I've had two custom made saddle in the past year from Bill at Saddle Tech supply.
Both made to measure, both fit me and the horse, both in beautiful leather.

I had a bad experience with Crewe last year so I would not recommend.

I've not heard of that one, but I shall have a look.

Feeling like I have a good few options now anyway so thanks to everybody!