Sorry, cat post- hit by car?

Sundae

Visit site
I know this is a horse forum but I am sure many of you out there own cats too...?? My cat has been suspectedly hit by a car and has paralysed back legs and tail- she has been on a drip at vets all night & they say she is bright this morning. She is going in for x-rays in a bit. But I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience & what I can expect good or bad. I have looked this up & belive it may be 'tail jerk', where the tail is caught & the cat keeps moving, breaking the tail & causing nerve damage. She is such a sweetie, she must have dragged herself for ages to get to the back door- at least 50ft... If anyone has any alternative med advice too, that would be appreciated. Obviously I need to see what the vet says later, but fingers crossed

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Sorry don't know. My cousin ran over her cat, but unfortunately broke one of his leg so badly the only option would have be to remove that leg. However that wasn't a viable option as the cat was seventeen and had artritic hips. Hope its a better prognosis for your cat. Best wishes

seaview

Visit site
Hi Sundae,
so sorry for your news.
this happened to one of my yard cats recently too
frown.gif

He had broken his leg so badly the only option was to have it removed, he is a very young cat not even a year old and the vet felt he could cope ok, tbh when I first saw him I had doubts if I had done the right thing but a good friend assured me her cat was soon back to normal after.
WELL the cat is unbelievable he is out mousing every night (the fat four legged brother just sleeps on) and terrorising our 24 geese which have just decided to make our yard their home.
The only thing I can say is that we ensure that if we are not there he is kept in as I would be worried he wouldnt be able to defend himself that well anymore.

Good luck let me know how it goes and if you need anyother advice give me a shout, its not nice but hopefully your wee cat will be ok
smile.gif

Nat
x

djb

Visit site
Not quite the same but my cat went missing for 2 days last year and when she came back she wouldn't eat and was very quiet and breathing quickly.

Vet x-rayed and she had a ruptured diaphragm and her organs were up in her chest! Only option apart from PTS was to operate which they did. When they shaved her she was black and blue under her chest/tummy - we never really knew what she had done.

She was on the vets 2 days and then had to stay in the house a month as she wasn't allowed to exert herself while it healed. She was then completely recovered.

I hope your cat is ok - they do heal so well.

Cat at the yard got squashed by a horse after jumping in it's stable - it couldn't walk and was dragging itself along. You should see it now - it can even climb up a ladder into the hay loft!

_jetset_

Visit site
My parents next door neighbours cat was missing for 18 days a few years ago... My Dad found him one morning cowering in the bushes facing their house and 'daddied' him back to the cat's owners. No one could believe he was still alive after being missing for 18 days, and they believe he was run over and just couldn't make it back to the house.

He was 15 years old at the time (now 18 and still very happy) and had broken ribs, a broken leg and severe breathing problems and dehydration. He was operated on immediately and they found he had very bad bruising all over his body. But he lived to tell the tale, although I think he is down to his last life now! I think cats are much more resilient than dogs... they seem so much braver and tougher when they are ill.

I hope your cat gets better soon and makes a full recovery. It is awful when you are worrying about them, but the fact she looked brighter this morning is a good sign that she is a fighter!

Sundae

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies! Well she has a broken pelvis, a broken tail and spinal damage. Vet says tail & pelvis not really a prob but they are really worried about spinal damage as she cant walk or pee. They have agreed to let me bring her home for the weekend after teaching me how to manually express her bladder (nice!). At least she will be more relaxed and more likely to eat at home...If she doesnt improve within a week they have advised to have her PTS. I am hopefull as vet said she has a 75% chance of recovery. Again thank you for all your kind repleis! x

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
The poor little mite,i do hope she gets better soon,its so awful,i get so sad about stuff like this,even cats i dont know, poor little things.
My cat got hit by a car head on,he was a very lucky boy,think the fact it was freezing temperatures at the time that saved his life,as it helped with the severe swelling,he was missing for a day and a half so think he was curled up in a bush somewhere,thankfully he managed to get home to me after that time,he is a fine healthy 5yr old now,as in my siggy (on far right)
Good luck to your puddy cat,hope she is well soon
smile.gif

tremorfa

Visit site
If its any consolation, my cat has been hit twice by cars and lived to tell the tale. Lost her eye the first time, but was more badly injured the second time-spent six weeks in vets with broken pelvis, displaced hips etc. She is now running around with no side effects. Good luck.