Sorry i know its been done to death! barefoot

ellie11987

Visit site
What do you think of this barefoot diet for tb with shocking feet that needs to maintain condition (poor dooer). Think about going barefoot (she only has fronts on at the mo) but need to get diet correct first. I've been thinking...

Dengie hi fi molasses free
speedibeet
micronised linseed
seaweed
brewers yeast
splash of veg oil

any thoughts welcome thanks in advance :)

TwoStroke

Visit site
Sounds good :). The only comments I'd make is that the veg oil may not be necessary with the micro linseed, which is quite high in oil itself, and you may find a balancer such as Pro Balance + does a better job than the seaweed, as seaweed tends to be high in iodine which can sometimes be a problem.

MrsNorris

Visit site
Maybe a good mineral supplement?
I give my barefoot cob almost the same as you, ( hifi lite and minus the oil as he's a good doer, and no seaweed), plus he gets MagOx, copper, zinc, Vit E and salt. Pro hoof supplement from Progressive Earth is very good I think, and a lot easier than adding stuff seperatly like I'm doing!
Will be changing to Pro Hoof as soon as my current supplies run out. :)

ellie11987

Visit site
I wouldn't feed the hi-fi or the seaweed I would feed a one of the pre mixed barefoot friendly supplements.

Otherwise v. good :)

thanks for your replies will ditch the seaweed and look at pro hoof :) why would you not feed the hi fi and what would you feed instead (chaff)? lowest starch and sugar chaff i've found but heard the dengie ones are not too good :confused:

Erin

Visit site
Yes it is, but it makes my mare itchy and grumpy and makes others footy.
Unless you are 100% sure it doesn't effect your horse then dont feed it to start with.

giveitago

Visit site
I too, feed the dengie hi fi unmollased. I try and keep alfa to a minimum.
I feed the simple systems balancer, total eclipse with mine. Although SS did recommend i feed him a few lucie nuts (alfa nuts) with it. He has the odd scoop of magnesium.

I dont feed any 'slop' , I mix with water.

His bare feet are good now and although we've had plenty of grass I found feeding the balancer on a regular basis has really helped.

He still wears front boots if we go hacking in stony areas but he's fine in the school and on the common.

CBFan

Visit site
What do you think of this barefoot diet for tb with shocking feet that needs to maintain condition (poor dooer). Think about going barefoot (she only has fronts on at the mo) but need to get diet correct first. I've been thinking...

Dengie hi fi molasses free
speedibeet
micronised linseed
seaweed
brewers yeast
splash of veg oil

any thoughts welcome thanks in advance :)

I agree with the others, if youre feeding linseed, you really don't need to worry with the veg oil. and seaweed fed at the doses suggested on the tub usually provides waaaay to much iodine for the needs of the horse..

I agree on the thoughts about alfa-alfa. some horses can be really sensitive to it and it can give them sore feet. there are other unmollassed chaffs - graze on do one called 'gold blend' but you really don't have to feed chaffs - just the speedi beet with the linseed and Pro hoof or similar will be fine...make sure hay is fed add lib to help with the weight ;)