Sorry - quick how much on a pony saddle?

ecrozier

Visit site
Our pony is now retired so her saddle has been for sale in local tack shop for a while, but with not much luck. They aren't doing that many fittings for ponies apparently, so I am wondering about sticking it on Ebay? Just wondered what people thought I would get for it?
It is brown leather, in pretty good condition, maybe 8 years old but barely used for last 4 years, and not much before that. The makers name says 'Robinson Saddlery'. Its a 15 inch saddle, for a wide native type (ours is a NFx with a wide, quite flat back). I will get some photos etc before listing it. Its a GP cut.
Saddler has it for sale for £250 - so would it be unreasonable to start bidding at maybe £100 on ebay? Do people buy pony saddles on ebay do you think?
confused.gif

palomino_pony

Visit site
I have mine on ebay at the mo - 2x 16.5" 14.2hh saddles- and have lots of people "watching" them and also lots of enquirys. I'm just wondering about the "robinson saddlery" badge though - is it from robinsons as in the big saddlery/catalogue place in Liverpool? That may put me off a bit as most of their tack isn't english leather. If it is english make sure you put it on the advert.

ecrozier

Visit site
Do you mind me asking what prices you are hoping to get? I'm not sure if it is Robinsons as in Robinson Country Leisure, but saddlers (v well respected round here) said it is definately English but is actually pigskin rather that cow-leather! Apparently was quite common before all the cheap imported leather was as widely used, to make leather from pig rather than cow skin, and is just as good as normal leather. Definately produced in England tho apparently!

ecrozier

Visit site
Thanks for PM
Colleen_miss_tom, thats kind of why I am thinking I will ebay it - I don't think they have priced it higher than its actual worth as they are the most well respected saddlers in the area and if they come out to do a fitting and have a second hand saddle that fits, most people woudn't argue with the cost, if you see what I mean? I think it is simply that they haven't had many ponies to fit - perhaps people tend to buy off-the-peg or not bother with expensive fittings for little ponies as much as for horses? - so it just hasn't found the right pony. But its not worth anything sat in the shop/saddlers van, hence maybe ebay!