Sorry, sorry - Cat Help Needed

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Doese anyone have any experience of colds in cats?

All three of mine have had one - two are recovered, Toby isn't.

He's eating, and had no temperature for a week - however is incredibly bunged up.

I'm giving him vapour 'steams' in the bathroom, and putting a little vic under his chin where he can't get at it.

But I'm at a loss as to what else to do to help him..........:eek:

(He's seen the vet).

devilinajar

Visit site
So long as he is eating and drinking, and has no temp, only time will clear the blocked nose. Keep up with the vapour steams and keep him warm. Im sure he will start to improve soon!!

Louism

Visit site
Have they had their vaccines for Cat flu? For the sake of £60 check up I would drop him down the vet as if it is cat flu, I understand it to be quite serious so best to check.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have they had their vaccines for Cat flu? For the sake of £60 check up I would drop him down the vet as if it is cat flu, I understand it to be quite serious so best to check.

No - it's not cat flu. He's been to the vet's twice, and so far I'm about £120 down.....

CAYLA

Visit site
My old girl does, always in the winter, she is 18 now, and this time she got a jab of anti b's, she had cat flu as a kitten and I always find if they get a bad bout it reapears for life and sometimes it can do a little lasting damage depending how severe and hers was very severe.

My sister cats did when he was still alive, so much so, he was actually called Mr snuffles:D
Both where vaxed, but still the sneezeyness provails, if he gets bad maybe speak to the vet and see if an anti B would help boost his recovery, it worked fab on my old girl she was snotty for a week, this was about 8 weeks ago and within 3 days of the anti B, she is clear as crystal.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thanks Cayla, he had an initial AB jab just over a week ago, but I'm now thinking along the same lines as you about an actual course (it certainly can't hurt).

It's so odd, because of the two ginger cats he is the most robust (the other one has always been prone to pick anything and everything up, but got over the cold within 48 hours). And the drug adict stray, Miss Spider sneazed for 12 hours then quit.

Odd!

Cheers for everyones input.

CAYLA

Visit site
Ps, u can also get menthol crystal to steam with, we use them at work, Im sure they are from the local chemist, u sprinkle a little in the water, its really strong stuff, it works well on the stuffy cats.

CAYLA

Visit site
I also just checked as was snot sure this was still about, but u can also get bisolvin powder to sprinkle on food, I used to board a siamese with resp issues, he used to produce lots of mucus and snot and it was really good for him.

Louism

Visit site
I have 2 ginger girls, I have given mine ¼ of a vit c tablet a day as they are good patients. We also switched ours to cooked sardines as they smell strong (to get them to eat) when ill. Then I suppose all you can do is monitor it.
Its true, once they get it once they seem to be more susceptible to it.