Sound silly but... when to use my stable?

micra

Visit site
I have just moved to a livery yard where they can live out all year round if you want, I have two horses and they get a nice sized field to themselves with a shelter in. I’ve always brought in every night but I’m loving seeing them so happy and chilled at night grazing and being in the shelter!
Does anyone have any rough guidelines as to when they’d bring in, Ive always done so as it was the done thing on livery yards, is it bad for them to come in a few times a week during winter or does that disrupt them too much?
Thank you ❤️

MuffettMischief

Visit site
I would love to have this option for mine and would probably just bring in when the weather says heavy rain all night. One because mine don't like the rain and two, to save the fields a bit. Mine currently come in during the day to keep out of the flies and our stables are very cool. I don't find it disrupts routine, in fact I think it makes them a little more amenable and happier with change!

Crackerz

Visit site
I only bring in during adverse weather conditions, i've never been on a livery yard where people all bring in at night or day, or that it was expected.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Personally if I had your set up I would try to keep out 27/4 until October. Then out all day and in at night during winter. This is to save your field from getting too boggy. They might be relaxed now but would probably be happy to come in overnight when it turns cold.

Notimetoride

Visit site
Just use it when you need it. In the winter, if it's freezing cold but dry, they can stay out with plenty of hay. I'd be bringing in when it's wet and the field is boggy. Also I'd be using it in summer when it's hot in the day. Although you say they have a shelter so maybe not. Lucky you, sounds lovely :)

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
My oldie comes in at night If it’s cold or wet. The others only if it’s really dire. They are also used to coming in for a couple of hours if the farrier is due etc. Mine are fine with no set routine and I think it makes them generally more chilled out that they haven’t got set times for things to happen.

Surbie

Visit site
That sounds perfect and is exactly what I would want. Like others, I'd only bring in if it was miserably wet and boggy, just to save the fields. Lucky you!

Goldenstar

Visit site
My horses ae stabled part of each day because I need to use them and I don’t leave out in flys .
As the autumn starts they spend longer out during the day as the flys die away .
I start stabling at night between mid October and the beginning of December it depends on the horse what it’s doing and how much rain there’s been .

SEL

Visit site
When I had a field for the horses that could be used all year round I only got them in if it was going to be really wet. They had natural shelter in the field, but it wasn't up for those downpours that go on for hours that we can get (remember those in the middle of this heatwave??). It also gave the field a chance to drain before they went back out.

Its handy to have a stable to bring them in if you're waiting for the vet, physio etc too. My mare likes to have a wee before riding and will only do it on her bedding so I used to stick a pile of shavings in there and pop her in for 15 mins before tacking up.

You've got my perfect set-up - soil I'm on now is clay, currently getting trashed due to no rain and is going to be a nightmare with turnout this winter. No chance of 24:7!!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I only bring mine in to get them out of the heat and to have a break from the flies which are driving them mad and obviously to ride, if they had a shelter I would be inclined to just leave them out a lot more.

Woah

Visit site
It's great to have the use of a stable even if they are out day and night for a good portion of the year. But most bring in to save the field getting churned up during heavy bouts of rain in the colder months, and also sometimes to relieve from the hottest weather during mid day especially if little or no shade in field or if an oldie or one who suffers bad with flies. I use mine ad hoc too - pop her in while getting trailer ready to go out somewhere or when waiting for farrier. Would be very useful too if she was unwell or rehabbing from an injury which requires rest.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
My children's ponys had this option and we only used the stable when the weather was bad, sometime all winter, sometimes in a mild winter hardly at all. Otherwise they lived out with shelter. The ponies were never bothered by a flexible routine at all. Nice to have all options I think. X

Darbs

Visit site
I am really pleased that you asked this question. I was only thinking on this subject yesterday as we want some sort of plan for this winter, its interesting to see what people do and I am a fan of them being out wandering around as much as possible.

pippixox

Visit site
My horses have a barn to come into and are very used to a flexible routine. They know if fed in field (only a handful) they are staying out. Use it more in the heat wave. Again, when it gets very wet as they mope and clay field gets very boggy. I have kept them flexible for years- not always every night or day of certain months. Would rather play it by ear.

I think we like to have a plan but it can make unnecessary work

D66

Visit site
When your horse is ill,
The night before the farrier comes so feet are dry. (We always tried to get first appointment of the day)
To dry off before riding.
When they are feeling the cold, wet or heat.
To be groomed or for rug changes.
To separate them from another animal.
When work is being done in the field.
Getting into a routine of bringing in at a particular time can help with catching issues - so just for the sake of it.

MissTyc

Visit site
When your horse is ill,
The night before the farrier comes so feet are dry. (We always tried to get first appointment of the day)
To dry off before riding.
When they are feeling the cold, wet or heat.
To be groomed or for rug changes.
To separate them from another animal.
When work is being done in the field.
Getting into a routine of bringing in at a particular time can help with catching issues - so just for the sake of it.

^ Exactly that for mine!

One spent ~ 30 nights in last winter and one did only 2-3 nights in the end ... I use as and when; it's the perfect set up for me!

JJS

Visit site
Mine rarely come into theirs. I have two stables between four of them, and I pay for them purely because I want to be covered if anyone ever needs box rest. Usually, they're not used at all, although I think my oldie will be in overnight this year just so that I can pump a bit of extra feed down his throat. To my mind, it really is the ideal set-up :)

Araby

Visit site
Long long time lurker and member. I have two stables and a field shelter, they are allowed to live out 24/7 on a two acre field, that I have set up on a track system. We have sandy soil. They only ever come in when box rest for either needed (rare thankfully) or once a few years back when the YO called all in due to really bad ground (wet). They have a round bale in their shelter 365 days a year ... so happy enough out, one full Arab, one 50% Arab, rugged accordingly in winter.

BSL

Visit site
In summer, turnout is subject to heat and flies and grass quality. I have a big field, then stables with individual turnout attached, so they wander in and out as they choose. This year as so dry with intermittent rain, I moniter the grass growth so I can bring in to their smaller area if I am concerned about lami or colic. I have 4 very good doers on approx 8 acres. Not trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs, but I remind myself that my horses have sensitive digestive systems that don't like dramatic change so try to adjust things slowly. Winter is almost easier as it is only a leg stretch, the grass has no great interest to them, the horses would rather have hay in their stables, so for me it is protecting the ground and their legs.. If I didnt have to worry about heat, flies, lami, colic, damaged legs through slippery ground, I'd leave out all the time. Just starting to realise after 40 years, they are not the simplest of animals to care for lol.

Last edited:

mynutmeg

Visit site
If they are allowed to live out 24/7 all year round then just leave them out! Much better for the horse and cheaper for you as well :)
My previous yard we lived out all year round but had stables as well. I brought in one night every 7 weeks (she's feathered and I don't like giving my farrier a soaking wet, muddy, horse) and twice a year for worming. Otherwise they'd just come in to be tacked up etc or box rest

Kikke

Visit site
I would start bringing in during the night in winter.
Personally I would bring them in every night in the winter period as I think horses do best on routine and if I would only turn them in if the weather was particularly bad it would upset them.

BSL

Visit site
If they are allowed to live out 24/7 all year round then just leave them out! Much better for the horse and cheaper for you as well :)
My previous yard we lived out all year round but had stables as well. I brought in one night every 7 weeks (she's feathered and I don't like giving my farrier a soaking wet, muddy, horse) and twice a year for worming. Otherwise they'd just come in to be tacked up etc or box rest

Turnout is so dependent on field conditions though . Hate seeing horses in postage stamp plots of land, surrounded by electric tape, with no shelter and inadequate grazing. Not saying that is you mynutmeg or OP, but we need to remember on this forum not everyone has the same facilities we may imagine.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
When I had a field for the horses that could be used all year round I only got them in if it was going to be really wet. They had natural shelter in the field, but it wasn't up for those downpours that go on for hours that we can get (remember those in the middle of this heatwave??). It also gave the field a chance to drain before they went back out.

Its handy to have a stable to bring them in if you're waiting for the vet, physio etc too. My mare likes to have a wee before riding and will only do it on her bedding so I used to stick a pile of shavings in there and pop her in for 15 mins before tacking up.

You've got my perfect set-up - soil I'm on now is clay, currently getting trashed due to no rain and is going to be a nightmare with turnout this winter. No chance of 24:7!!

I used to do this. If it was a dry chilly December night, they stayed out. If rain was forecast all night or just yuck weather they came in.
It was really nice and they seemed completely settled, they got fed at the same time but either in or out.
If I had big enough fields it’s definitely what I’d do now.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Not sure of your ponies' ages, but winter bringing in really established routine for Dave. It was a wonderful thing.

Coming in meant a groom, some work & dinner with his pals. I love it now.

mynutmeg

Visit site
Turnout is so dependent on field conditions though . Hate seeing horses in postage stamp plots of land, surrounded by electric tape, with no shelter and inadequate grazing. Not saying that is you mynutmeg or OP, but we need to remember on this forum not everyone has the same facilities we may imagine.

Absoltuly. My previous yard was brilliant. There's 15 acres for 15 horses split between summer and winter fields. Winter fields are well slopped and although no built shelter plenty of trees and hedges. No grass left quite early on but they had bales of haylage out all the time so they had plenty of food all the time.
My current set up at my sister's we have 3 acres summer field and 1 acre winter field for 3 with little shelter so they'll be in at night and have haylage in the field on turnout.

Annagain

Visit site
I'd leave them out as much as possible, only bringing them in when you need them in or if the field conditions make it difficult. I'd love this set up!