South London riding schools in the 1970s

AnnieF

New User
Visit site
This is a bit of a trip down memory lane, but, I realise that there are some forum members who used to ride in South London back in the 1970s. It's somewhere I haven't visited for 40 years but I learnt to ride in the area at the South London School of Equitation in Streatham and also at a little stables on Brixton Hill run by a woman called Hester Brandreth. She kept four ponies in a little Victorian mews stable with ancient partitions. I expect it's a bijou house now. I also used to go to Kingston Riding Stables and rode in Richmond Park and to a stables on the edge of Bushey Park.
Can anyone tell me when the South London school was sold for building and any details about it. I used to ride on Streatham Common and Tooting Bec Common. It looks from Google Earth as though the riding track around the common has gone now. I once got run away with on the common and ended up cantering down Tooting Bec High Street, ah happy days!

Ladyinred

Visit site
I once got run away with on the common and ended up cantering down Tooting Bec High Street, ah happy days!

Nice to see someone of the generation that admi8ts they were 'run away with' (as was I, many many times lol) Today everyone has horses that bolt. A sad lesson in how we now view our horses.

Charem

Visit site
My Mum kept a pony in that area, possibly the one you describe. She also got run off with down Tooting Bec High Street and on Richmond Park where the rangers eventually banned her for having an out of control pony!

arizonahoney

Visit site
I used to have a loopy pink pony that would frequently tank with me on Tooting Common and dump me on the South Circular, so my dad would have to come out on foot with me :eek:

He struck up some interesting conversations with the negotiable affection crowd on the common :rolleyes::D when trying to work out in which direction we - or more often - just the pony had gone!

AnnieF

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and the link. I'll get in touch with Mainpower. The South London Equitation Centre was such a good place to learn to ride. It had a riding club run in conjunction with the stables which used to organise grade tests and gymkhanas for adults and we had a show every summer on Tooting Common. The guy who ran it, Mike (possibly Coleman), used to rescue quite a few horses and turn them into riding school mounts. We used to do some fun things too, like have bareback lessons on November 5th, probably not allowed these days.

I moved to Oxford in the early 1980s and never found anything to match the South London scene which was a disappointment. As for a pink pony, I used to ride a little pink pony called Mischief. He was very lightly built and only about 13.2 hh, he came as part of a pair but the female was quickly sold on. He was the original 'push button' pony, as good as gold, I wonder what happened to him.

Oh yes, and there was a local gypsy called Johnney Angelo who would rent you out a horse for a couple of pounds a week. I still regret not taking on a pony I fell in love with which he owned. It must be so much harder (and more expensive) to access decent riding facilities in London now.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I had my first lessons on Tooting Bec - I think the lady's name was Marilyn. That was about 1976. Merlin was my favourite.
I then rode at Dulwich, Willowtree and New Lodge.
I had a friend who kept her pony at South London School.
The then GLC used to hold a horse show on Clapham Common every summer.

AnnieF

New User
Visit site
Wow. Was Merlin by any chance a dark brown cob with a slightly plain head but an angelic nature and very willing? Do you remember any of the South London horses? Blackie who would take pieces out of you in the box and had a horrendous rubber neck but was fantastic on a good day? A massive weight carrier called Justina? A roan pony called William who was a brilliant jumper? I do remember the Clapham Common horse show, some big names used to appear.
I went riding at Dulwich a few times and also Willowtree. It seemed as though there were lots of stables to explore.

Divasmum

Visit site
I remember going to Willowtree with you AnnieF. I am really pleased that you were directed to the South London School Of Equitation page on Facebook. I must dig out some photos to put on there. I have put some on but have many more.

free.spirit

New User
Visit site
Yes, I rode at SLSE in Canterbury Grove, West Norwood from 1960 for a few years until Dulwich Riding School opened. I too got run off with on Streatham Common into the path of a park keeper. We even rode down Streatham High Road to get to Tooting Bec. Can you imagine doing that now! I remember the three ponies, Chocolate, Kiwi,and Tommy in the block at the end and a large black horse called Destiny and a smaller grey called Safety! I think it was sold for housing end of the 1960's or early 70's. It was run by Commander Coleman and then by his son Michael until it was sold.

TTK

Visit site
Yep, used to ride at Kingston Riding stables - ah the dreaded Mrs Quick. Also worked there briefly in about 1970-1971-ish. Sadly, it's an overpriced bijou housing complex now. I remember those Victorian stables with affection. Lessons in the school and riding on Wimbledon Common, happy days. Also used to ride and work at a little stables in Ewell village - ex-military owner (weren't they all). Riding in Nonsuch Park and up on Epsom Downs. All gone, how sad.

blodwyn1

Visit site
I learned to ride at Willow tree riding school starting in 1967 when I was 11. I was taught by Mrs Massey and remember the horses and ponies like it was yesterday! There was Tango who was 40 ! Mercury the grey and The Russian a big (to me!) Chestnut.I also remember Carlos, lady Jane,Estelle and many others.I am now in my late 50s and own 3 Welsh cobs!

Mike007

Visit site
. Also used to ride and work at a little stables in Ewell village - ex-military owner (weren't they all). Riding in Nonsuch Park and up on Epsom Downs. All gone, how sad.
Think you might be getting confused here. As far as I recall ,Shep(aka William Balman) was not ex military ,but an ex Shepherd .Of course with his deep Somerset accent one could never be entirely sure what he was saying.

mainpower

Visit site
Why did I miss this thread in the beginning? I started at New Park stables, behind the Hand in Hand pub, then went to Gleneagles which was run by Hester. Then she moved to the Mitre in Tooting, and had a second yard in Battersea, which was the old forge from the days before mobile farriers.
When I left school I worked at South London for a few months.
When Hester gave up Sue and Lesley took over, and I trained with them for my BHSAI.
When they gave up, I took the yard on as a small livery yard, when the brewery didn't want to renew the lease I took on New Park (full circle) until I gave up to start a family.
Dulwich and Willowtree are still going strong.
Mischief mentioned above was sold by Hester and went to New Park as a livery. The mare that was originally bought with him was called Tatonka, my friend bought her but she was sold back to Hester.

TTK

Visit site
Think you might be getting confused here. As far as I recall ,Shep(aka William Balman) was not ex military ,but an ex Shepherd .Of course with his deep Somerset accent one could never be entirely sure what he was saying.

Mike. I bow to your knowledge, I was only a dufus teenager. But it was fun, and all gone now. BTW - do we know each other from previous lives - wink! BTW that's where I learned to smoke N06.

indiat

Visit site
It is indeed - What era were you there?

I would have been there in the 80s, I learned to ride on a lovely ex-polo mare called Belle, a brown welshie. She was a wicked little thing! There was a very naughty palomino there at the time who seemed to delight in taking the piss out of every novice rider. My mum used to go for lessons with me and she was being shouted at one day by a very strict male instructor called Chris to get him on the track and trot on. Not only did he not trot on, he left the track and walked very neat circles around the apoplectic instructor! :D My mother was MORTIFIED!

Mike007

Visit site
Mike. I bow to your knowledge, I was only a dufus teenager. But it was fun, and all gone now. BTW - do we know each other from previous lives - wink! BTW that's where I learned to smoke N06.

I wouldnt be surprised if we do know each other or at least have met. Here s a list of the horses I remember :Ganny ,Misty,Prince ,Joey ,Chanter ,King ,Harmony ,Pride,Star,Brandy Dapple Cherry ,Toby ,Queeny. And not forgetting the three field horses ,Sunny Jamie and melody.

lula

Visit site
i was livery manager at Manor Farm livery and riding school by Ham Polo club richmond 1989-91 owned by Lilo Blum who also owned Hyde park corner riding 'school' (term used lightly!) at top of Park Lane. circa 1940- 1986 it burned down.

anyone remember that crazy old character?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Anyone grow up riding at Manor Farm Stables in Ham (now Ham Polo), or Stag Lodge stables?

Anyone remember Lilo Blum, Martin Blum, and Bill Johnson? Would be late 1980's to 2000.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Ooh cross post. Did I know you? I worked as a helper from 1990 at Manor Farm stables (mainly in the riding school part). Me and my red haired friend. I remember Lilo, but she had handed over to Martin Blum, when I was there, and she just visited. Sam and Tracy, and Tina, and Janice? Remembering horses like Pinocchio, Cochese, Blodwyn, Chalky, Cherry, Fina, Captain, Honey, Copper, Dizzy etc.

Where you part of when Bill and Sam had the show yard too? And moving to Stag Lodge?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
i was livery manager at Manor Farm livery and riding school by Ham Polo club richmond 1989-91 owned by Lilo Blum who also owned Hyde park corner riding 'school' (term used lightly!) at top of Park Lane. circa 1940- 1986 it burned down.

anyone remember that crazy old character?

Ooh cross post. Did I know you? I worked as a helper from 1990 at Manor Farm stables (mainly in the riding school part). Me and my red haired friend. I remember Lilo, but she had handed over to Martin Blum, when I was there, and she just visited. Sam and Tracy, and Tina, and Janice? Remembering horses like Pinocchio, Cochese, Blodwyn, Chalky, Cherry, Fina, Captain, Honey, Copper, Dizzy etc.

Where you part of when Bill and Sam had the show yard too? And moving to Stag Lodge?

lula

Visit site
Anyone grow up riding at Manor Farm Stables in Ham (now Ham Polo), or Stag Lodge stables?

Anyone remember Lilo Blum, Martin Blum, and Bill Johnson? Would be late 1980's to 2000.

i used to work for them between 1989(riding school teacher then when i had a row with Lilo about the amount of hours the horses woked a day i went to work in the livery yard side)
Bill promoted me to YM after Gordon left. Bill Johnson was hilarious as gay men often are. sadly he couldnt make it pay around 91' and Martin Blum came back to take over. I didnt have much to do with the riding school after that i was in the american barn with the liveries.
I left for a leg op and martin had hired some tit BHII who was useless and fell off every livery horse there.. amazing someone remembers, what a small world!

Last edited: