South Today's ragwort report

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Well done South Today for highlighting Hampshire's ragwort problem. Shame they had people supporting the wildlife ragwort loving issues too... I do think they needed more emphasis on the poisoning problems though.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Agree with you; there is so much ragwort in the UK that the cinnabar moth (which is the only insect that depends on ragwort alone) cannot possibly be rare due to anything to do with ragworts commonness or otherwise, and even if every scrap of ragwort was removed from every accessible place and field and verge in the UK, there would still be plenty in inaccessible locations for there to be plenty left for the moth. Its a total red herring.

Apparently scientific studies using the moth and a field with hardly any ragwort and a field choked with it found no difference in the moths breeding and survival rate in the field stuffed with ragwort.

Forget dog poop bins, there should be ragwort bins with disposable gloves and it should be everyones responsibility to pull it and dispose of it!

ragwortsense

Visit site
'Forget dog poop bins, there should be ragwort bins with disposable gloves and it should be everyones responsibility to pull it and dispose of it!'

What a perfect way to increase the spread of ragwort.

Most of the hysterical reaction to ragwort could, actually, increase its spread.

The way to avoid harm is for pasture to be properly managed so that there is no opportunity for ragwort to colonise.

This website http://www.ragwort.jakobskruiskruid.com is run by a horse owner who took the time to find out exactly how to protect her animals.

She did a great deal of work because she was concerned about the welfare of her animals. Others with similar concerns have only to read what she learned.

Dry Rot

Visit site
'Forget dog poop bins, there should be ragwort bins with disposable gloves and it should be everyones responsibility to pull it and dispose of it!'

Most of the hysterical reaction to ragwort could, actually, increase its spread.

The way to avoid harm is for pasture to be properly managed so that there is no opportunity for ragwort to colonise.

This website http://www.ragwort.jakobskruiskruid.com is run by a horse owner who took the time to find out exactly how to protect her animals.

She did a great deal of work because she was concerned about the welfare of her animals. Others with similar concerns have only to read what she learned.

Gosh! I wish my MP had known about that before he went to the trouble of voting through legislation requiring landowners/occupiers to control the weed! Also, my MEP who voted through legislation requiring the same people to control the weed if they want to continue to receive their Single Farm Payment!

There is such a lot of nonsense posted on the Internet that some things need to be thoroughly tested before it is believed. May I suggest you do that very thing and feed ragwort to your own horse and see what happens? (I know what will happen, so this is not a serious suggestion).

What a stupid post! Don't you know that parliament consults widely amongst known experts before enacting legislation? They do actually know what they are doing, most of the time. I expect if I posted that pigs can fly, you'd believe that too -- because you'd read it.

amandap

Visit site
I don't know the truth about ragwort but I am asking questions and taking more of an interest in finding true information. Sparked by reading this... http://www.ragwortfacts.com/index.html

I continue to believe that ragwort should be eradicated from hay fields as well as being more likely for horses to eat it is also a major way ragwort spreads imo.

ragwortsense

Visit site
Gosh! I wish my MP had known about that before he went to the trouble of voting through legislation requiring landowners/occupiers to control the weed!

That legislation, if you took the trouble to read it, says that ragwort has to be controlled to prevent its spread into pasture where grazing animals might eat it or where it might get into feed.

I am not for one moment saying that ragwort is not poisonous nor that its effects can not be devastating. What I'm saying is that people who choose to ignore the evidence are, quite possibly, helping the spread of ragwort and, maybe, causing harm to animals as a result.

Don't you know that parliament consults widely amongst known experts before enacting legislation?

Yes, I do know that and that is why the legislation says the intention is not to eradicate ragwort but rather to act to prevent its ingestion by farm animals.

As for being 'thoroughly tested' the site I linked to provides links to the actual research that has been done. Yes, actual research, not just hysterical prejudice.

ragwortsense

Visit site
I continue to believe that ragwort should be eradicated from hay fields.

Yes, that's absolutely right. What's needed is for horse-owners to insist on proof that the feed they buy is ragwort free. Producers who can't be bothered to take care that this is so are able to sell their feed cheaper as a result.

If people stopped buying cheap feed the producers would realise that they needed to up their game to be able to guarantee ragwort-free products.

Tinypony

Visit site
The site linked to isn't in the UK is it? I don't know what ragwort is like in the Netherlands, but preaching about proper pasture control and controlling ragwort in hayfields isn't very helpful to people who are surrounded by uncontrolled fields of the stuff. Getting the legislation enforced is almost impossible sometimes and meanwhile the stuff seeds and spreads. Telling people to control their pasture properly and control ragwort is naive I think.
What feed brands do you consider "cheap" Ragwortsense?

Mike007

Visit site
The site linked to isn't in the UK is it? I don't know what ragwort is like in the Netherlands, but preaching about proper pasture control and controlling ragwort in hayfields isn't very helpful to people who are surrounded by uncontrolled fields of the stuff. Getting the legislation enforced is almost impossible sometimes and meanwhile the stuff seeds and spreads. Telling people to control their pasture properly and control ragwort is naive I think.
What feed brands do you consider "cheap" Ragwortsense?

If you understood a bit more you would realise that proper pasture control (management)is the only effective practical way to control ragwort.The reason that paddocks become overrun with ragwort is because they are overgrazed and neglected.As for cheap feed, obviously they are talking about hay so why bring feed brands into this?

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site

Au contraire, 'Ragwortsense', if disposed of into a bagged and lidded bin, then collected and incinerated by councils it could make a substantial contribution. I am not sure what your problem would be with such an approach? The perfect way to spread ragwort is to allow the current totally uncontrolled spread to continue by imagining that if you say it often enough, proper control will magically happen.

Most horse owners only own their own grazing fields and are surrounded by agricultural fields and road verges where there is no attempt to control ragwort, which in many set aside fields takes a second look to confirm that it not actually a sown crop, it is so thickly profuse.

In respect of feed, most horse owners hay comes either via their yard owner or via a merchant, and therefore they do not have the luxury of inspecting the field it came from. They ask questions about the source and examine the hay but have no way of knowing for sure. And given in some parts of the country hay is £7-8 a small bale, price is no determinant of quality any more.

It is true that some animals eg sheep can eat a reasonable amount of ragwort and not fall ill, but the same is not true of cattle and horses, where as little as 5% (cumulative) can be fatal.

Eradicating ragwort from all but the most inaccessible locations would not threaten the plant with exinction or even rarity in this country and I would like to see prisoners with ragforks on every motorway verge in the country

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Au contraire, 'Ragwortsense', if disposed of into a bagged and lidded bin, then collected and incinerated by councils it could make a substantial contribution. I am not sure what your problem would be with such an approach? The perfect way to spread ragwort is to allow the current totally uncontrolled spread to continue by imagining that if you say it often enough, proper control will magically happen.

Most horse owners only own their own grazing fields and are surrounded by agricultural fields and road verges where there is no attempt to control ragwort, which in many set aside fields takes a second look to confirm that it not actually a sown crop, it is so thickly profuse.

In respect of feed, most horse owners hay comes either via their yard owner or via a merchant, and therefore they do not have the luxury of inspecting the field it came from. They ask questions about the source and examine the hay but have no way of knowing for sure. And given in some parts of the country hay is £7-8 a small bale, price is no determinant of quality any more.

It is true that some animals eg sheep can eat a reasonable amount of ragwort and not fall ill, but the same is not true of cattle and horses, where as little as 5% (cumulative) can be fatal.

Eradicating ragwort from all but the most inaccessible locations would not threaten the plant with exinction or even rarity in this country and I would like to see prisoners with ragforks on every motorway verge in the country

Five percent of what? Total weight of feed? Total body weight? I can't see that figure makes any sense at all.

ragwortsense

Visit site
My 'problem' lachlanandmarcus is that simply pulling ragwort up leaves bare soil behind and ragwort will only germinate if the seed lands on a patch of bare soil.

So, even though you might think that anybody pulling ragwort would bag it and properly dispose of it, (I really don't believe that that will magically happen) just pulling it is not the answer.

Perhaps, if DEFRA didn't have to deal with so many nonsense enquiries about ragwort growing in places where it is not a threat, it might be able to deal with those situations where action is required.

Saying 'I would like to see prisoners with ragforks on every motorway verge in the country' really demonstrates your lack of understanding. Read your copy of the COP and you'll be a bit better informed.

Cocorules

Visit site
I agree pasture management helps as bare patches allow plants to seed. But ragwort will still establish itself on tiny amounts of available soil. I will continue to dig it out. If I didn't it would mean my horses would have access to it.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
My 'problem' lachlanandmarcus is that simply pulling ragwort up leaves bare soil behind and ragwort will only germinate if the seed lands on a patch of bare soil.

So, even though you might think that anybody pulling ragwort would bag it and properly dispose of it, (I really don't believe that that will magically happen) just pulling it is not the answer.

Perhaps, if DEFRA didn't have to deal with so many nonsense enquiries about ragwort growing in places where it is not a threat, it might be able to deal with those situations where action is required.

Saying 'I would like to see prisoners with ragforks on every motorway verge in the country' really demonstrates your lack of understanding. Read your copy of the COP and you'll be a bit better informed.

Strange, that; since by pulling it on our place (left rife with it for 30 years) we year on year have far, far less of it. How very odd...... It requires diligence but each year there are fewer and fewer plants. Some fields are now completely clear and no seedlings are growing each spring, and this is purely from assiduous pulling.

So (although I have actually read just about all the websites I have found on the subject) my direct experience on 40 acres of rife ragwort gives me the evidence I need to disagree with your view.

Nationwide pulling alone is not the answer, I never said it was the only thing that needs to happen, to quote directly I said it would make a 'substantial contribution'. Where appropriate it also needs to be sprayed or at minimum topped to prevent seeding (tho I am aware that topping will not kill the plant and may perennialise it so would only prevent seed blown spread).

I would respectfully point out that someone disagreeing with you does not mean that they are 'misinformed' provided that they have considered the same papers/evidence as you, simply that they DISAGREE with your view. Which is their right, and yours too.

Perissa

Visit site
I get the impression from some threads about ragwort recently that some are saying that there is no point in removing it unless you can improve the pasture. Its all very well saying that but those of use with very good doers, laminitics etc simple can't do that unless they want to stable most of the time and limit turnout time - which I don't so I will carry on diligently pulling and digging 'my' ragwort.

IMHO it is as simple as this, allowing ragwort to grow in fields being grazed demonstrates that you are a slovenly horse owner - simple as. There are no excuses.

*Ducks* .......

Last edited:

Dry Rot

Visit site
Weeds Act 1959 at http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/wildlife-management/weeds-act-1959/...

Quote from the above: "The Weeds Act specifies five injurious weeds: Common Ragwort, Spear Thistle, Creeping or Field Thistle, Broad Leaved Dock and Curled Dock. Under the Weeds Act 1959 the Secretary of State may serve an enforcement notice on the occupier of land on which injurious weeds are growing, requiring the occupier to take action to prevent their spread. Enforcement of the Weeds Act is carried out by Natural England on Defra’s behalf – see ‘Enforcement of the Weeds Act’ below".

Welfare of Animals Act at http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/enforcement/injuriousweeds.aspx....

Quote from above: "Injurious weeds - five weeds are classified under the Weeds Act 1959: common ragwort (Senecio jacobaea), spear thistle (Cirsium vulgare), creeping or field thistle (Cirsium arvense), broad-leaved dock (Rumex obtusifolius) and curled dock (Rumex Crispus). It is not an offence to have these weeds growing on your land and species such as ragwort have significant conservation benefits. However they must not be allowed to spread to agricultural land, particularly grazing areas or land which is used to produce conserved forage. Enforcement notices can be issued following complaints requiring landowners to take action to prevent the spread of these weeds".

"We (Natural England) are fully aware of the dangers of ragwort to livestock, owners are ultimately responsible for the welfare of their animals and should ensure that livestock are not exposed to the risk of ragwort poisoning. Please note that under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 it is an offence to keep an animal in such a way that suffering will be an inevitable consequence. Owners can be prosecuted for keeping animals on land where harmful weeds or plants are growing and there is a risk of ingestion.

General Agricultural Environmental Conconditions which must be met if a landowner wishes to receive the Single Farm Payment at http://rpa.defra.gov.uk/rpa/index.n...08e3137fd5b0f4a1802575a20036d9a0!OpenDocument

Quote from the above: "GAEC 11 Control of weeds --
The most common failures found during the 2009 inspection regime were:
reasonable steps not taken to control the spread of injurious weeds.
Further information on common failures:
Infestations of weeds such as ragwort, creeping thistle and spear thistle have been allowed to spread without all reasonable efforts taken to control these.

I'd say the authorities fully recognise the dangers of ragwort and do quite a lot to encourage control, including prosecution and stopping the substantial grant of the Single Farm Payment to occupiers who don't control the weed!

If the weeds are pulled, then at least they won't be releasing any seeds. Ragwort is a biennial, in other words it grows for two years, flowing in the second year. Regular pulling will obviously reduce the spread as there will be no seeds produced. Plenty of information on the above sites.

Last edited:

Tinypony

Visit site
If you understood a bit more you would realise that proper pasture control (management)is the only effective practical way to control ragwort.The reason that paddocks become overrun with ragwort is because they are overgrazed and neglected.As for cheap feed, obviously they are talking about hay so why bring feed brands into this?

I wondered if they meant feed, as most people tend to say hay if they mean hay. This:

"If people stopped buying cheap feed the producers would realise that they needed to up their game to be able to guarantee ragwort-free products." didn't shout hay to me. So no need to be so snidey Mike007 just because I sought some clarification.

As Perissa says above, paddock management for many means removing ragwort, but probably not attempting to improve the quality of the actual grazing, which may be just right for native breeds. Also, most do not own their own land, so how the grazing is managed may be out of their control.

Here's a thing about "cheap feed". I've just brought 200 bales of hay from a very conscientous hay producer. Like most of us in the South East, he struggles with ragwort, but does his utmost to make sure that he does not cut hay with ragwort in. However, not far from me, a well-known feed merchant is selling hay for £5.50 per bale and I know for a fact that their attitude is much less responsible (understatement). So it's naive to berate horse owners and tell them that an answer is to stop buying "cheap feed".

What I don't understand about this thread is why some people have weighed in being so b***dy rude. I think the spread of ragwort all over our countryside is a problem that we should work together on, and even if people disagree, there's no need to throw insults. Fields are yellow in my area, this isn't good for our countryside, not just horse owners.

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Here, here Perissa. I was pulling the bloody stuff on a daily basis 20 years ago when I had Fleur on council rented grazing in Stubb village. It is sheer laziness to let it take a hold... evil stuff, fresh or dead and dried.

EstherHegt

www.ragwort.jakobskruiskruid.com
For everybody who want to know the real figures about horse deaths they can look it it up by Defra, they have quarterly reports.
This one is about equine http://www.aht.org.uk/equine_disease.html
And this one about cattle http://vla.defra.gov.uk/reports/rep_surv.htm
There are NO 6500 dead horses a year by ragwort an also not many dead cattle . there are much bigger health problems.

Fear is not a good advisor to prevent a PA poisoning, good pasture management and good hay is the key. By European law it is forbidden to sell hay with PA's. You can ask the seller from hay if it is PA free. If it is not you have the law at your site.
The horse owner is responsible for the food and water for their horses. So ask for PA free hay. Horse owners can prevent PA poisoning and have to learn to deal with the plant, but don't blame the plant, you can prevent, there are no figures about many deaths.
Stop believing al that scary news with no evidence. Read the links I gave and you can take your own conclusion.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Just what is your agenda, Ragwortsense and Estherhegt ? Your attitude seems very odd. I am slightly suspicious of what your motive is.
As far as I have seen, as a horseowner for many years, I have yet to met anyone who is 'hysterical' about ragwort control. More like responsibly resigned to ensuring grazing land is not littered with ragwort. Probably, the level of hysteria matches their hysteria about reducing the likeihood of heavy worm burdens by poo picking.
Its not a fun activity, but someones got to do it.

Question then, how exactly would you manage ragwort in the field in which your horses graze. If you have any. Horses that is.

EstherHegt

Just what is your agenda, Ragwortsense and Estherhegt ? Your attitude seems very odd. I am slightly suspicious of what your motive is.
As far as I have seen, as a horseowner for many years, I have yet to met anyone who is 'hysterical' about ragwort control. More like responsibly resigned to ensuring grazing land is not littered with ragwort. Probably, the level of hysteria matches their hysteria about reducing the likeihood of heavy worm burdens by poo picking.
Its not a fun activity, but someones got to do it.

Question then, how exactly would you manage ragwort in the field in which your horses graze. If you have any. Horses that is.

Hi horserider, I am a horse owner and the author from the link under my posts. My motive is very clear, I also was worried about ragwort and still I am worried about PA poisoning but I asked a lot of scientists to help me to look at the problem. I wanted facts, I found a lot of myths. ( You can read my website)
Sadly enough I lost a horse with liver failure, it is not nice to see that. It was definitely NOT ragwort, maybe it was a birth defect or a virus we did not do a post mortem, we euthanised her on a friday and the body has to be fresh for a good post mortem. ( It was possible at a monday, to late for us )
I know ragwort very well, this horse is born here and I am very sure she never had eat ragwort, I am also very sure it was never in the hay. Now you know my motive.
She died when she was six years old.

How you can manage ragwort I can give you 2 links from my website the first is that you have to know is about seed dispersal
http://www.ragwort.jakobskruiskruid.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=3

the second about prevention is is easier than cure
http://www.ragwort.jakobskruiskruid.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=7

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I can't edit my post anymore, but reading the Defra reports it is ironic to see that grass is a bigger problem, look at grass sickness and atypische myopathy etc.

Grass sickness cases are more often reported than ragwort poisoning because grass sickness strikes suddenly, often in young horses and with traumatic symptoms from the off with vets very actively involved and often vet hospitals too.

Liver damage from ragwort builds up over the years and the pony or horse may likely be older and so will be simply put to sleep by the vet in the ponys best interest and no post mortem done to be able to confirm the suspicion of liver damage.

I followed your AHT link but couldnt see any articles on death rates or on ragwort.

Of course horse owners ask suppliers to confirm that their hay doesnt have ragwort in it, but all suppliers will say no of course not. If the horse dies 5 years later from ragwort induced liver damage then how do they prove which batch of hay from which supplier over 5 years caused that damage. They can't, nor can they prove positively that the horse didnt graze the ragwort somewhere.

I think we will all have to agree to disagree on this one, as a horseowner I will continue to dig ragwort up and incinerate it wherever I find it and encourage everyone I know to do otherwise. Having been forced in the past to report an equestrian college (!!) to DEFRA for repeatedly ignoring requests to remove thick ragwort from a grazing field I do not think we should make the mistake of believing that pasture management is going to happen without sanctions.

EstherHegt

If the horse dies 5 years later from ragwort induced liver damage then how do they prove which batch of hay from which supplier over 5 years caused that damage. They can't, nor can they prove positively that the horse didnt graze the ragwort somewhere.

WOW 5 years later after eating ragwort, that is a misunderstanding what is feed by the press and misinformation. It is true thar PA poisoning is cumulative, but is also true the liver can repair.
We did try to explain how PA s work on this page ( I did really had a lot scientists to help me)
How PA poisoning really work

http://www.ragwort.jakobskruiskruid.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=9

and the metabolism of PA s
http://www.ragwort.jakobskruiskruid.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=8

My credits is here http://www.ragwort.jakobskruiskruid.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=4 I didn t translate that but they are biologists, toxicologists, and other experts.

ragwortsense

Visit site
Estherhegt, quite agree that prevention is better than cure, but what would you do if your horses paddock is full of the stuff ? You haven't said.

No-one is saying that you shouldn't deal with ragwort on your own pasture. Of course you should.

But, that is not the same thing as calling for its complete eradication or for encouraging everybody to just pull it up wherever they see it.

You can be certain that, if people were encouraged to pull it up, plenty of them wouldn't bother to bag it and dispose of it in accordance with DEFRA's advice leaflet.

We all know that resources are limited at the moment. That's why it is important to understand the real danger ragwort poses and concentrate efforts there.

Calling for prisoners to pull it up from motorway verges is not the answer.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
No-one is saying that you shouldn't deal with ragwort on your own pasture. Of course you should.

But, that is not the same thing as calling for its complete eradication or for encouraging everybody to just pull it up wherever they see it.

You can be certain that, if people were encouraged to pull it up, plenty of them wouldn't bother to bag it and dispose of it in accordance with DEFRA's advice leaflet.

We all know that resources are limited at the moment. That's why it is important to understand the real danger ragwort poses and concentrate efforts there.

Calling for prisoners to pull it up from motorway verges is not the answer.

I agree with you, but I do think that you and Estherhegt are concentrating on the negatives. You point out the dangers of dealing with ragwort incorrectly, rather than saying how it can be removed properly. The Surrey CC website is very helpful and certainly no scaremongering there. Just practical advice about methods and safe disposal.
I just don't see any hysteria about ragwort, just responsible concern about the spread of a plant poisonous to livestock on grazing land.
Horse owners are largely bright enough to follow DEFRA's guidelines on safe disposal, its not rocket science. Those who don't care about their horses welfare are hardly likely to go to the trouble of pulling the stuff incorrectly and chucking on their muck heaps, thereby creating more problems for themselves.
Ragwort is a serious threat to horses, lets concentrate on what can be done to deal with pasture already full of it rather than wringing our hands. Education about good pasture management is important, but doesn't help horses already grazing in the midst of it.

ragwortsense

Visit site
I just don't see any hysteria about ragwort.

Do you mean here or in general?

You, perhaps, didn't see the Daily Telegraph column a couple of weeks ago that stated that it was illegal to allow ragwort to grow. (I can't link to it because the Telegraph deleted it from its website rather than leave it there with a correction.)

Or, what about the BHS claim that 6,000 horses a year die because of ragwort?

Or the BHS Ragwort Awareness Week that, in reality, is surveying yellow flowering plants because there's no check that sightings are truly of common ragwort?

Or the frequent stories about ragwort producing 250,000 seeds when, normally, the plant will produce no more than 50,000 and, in extreme conditions, has never been found to produce more that 150,000?

Or people talking about ragwort 'spores' being blown on the wind when ragwort produces seeds that rarely reach more than 40m away from the parent?

If horses are grazing in a field truly full of ragwort I would suggest there are much bigger issues about their wellbeing. Instead of targeting the plant, people should be looking at the general standard of care being provided.

EstherHegt

Estherhegt, quite agree that prevention is better than cure, but what would you do if your horses paddock is full of the stuff ? You haven't said.

It is written in the links I gave you, also when there is ragwort in the pasture. Ragwort is not a plant you want in the pasture. A lot of methods can have a risk to make it worse if you don't understand the biology of the plant. There is a underground seedbank, with pulling there are broken rootfragments etc. Often you create good conditions for ragwort to grow again or good conditions for new plants. Overgrazing is also a risk.

It is also very important to recognise ragwort, I get a lot of mails and posts on the forum for identification of ragwort, is is very often a different yellow plant.
It is also important to look at the scale of the problem, there are not many confirmed cases but the press in England suggest that there are many cases, it is not true. Look at the Defra sites I gave.
Although Ragworts can be a significant nuisance to horse owners, these species are a very important source of nectar and pollen. About 150 species of insects, such as bees, flies and butterflies, visit the plant. On my Dutch website we made a lot of photo's of insects who visit the plant and a lot of photo's for help to indentificate the plant.
You can look at it here http://www.jakobskruiskruid.com/website/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=48