South Wales vets BW Equine or Cotts

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Hi
I just wanted to get some opinions on vets in South Wales? I have used BW for many years but am finding the service over the last year has gone downhill. My favourite vet has also recently moved to Cotts.
So now I'm left wondering whether to move or stay put. Which vets do other people use or recommend?
Thanks ?

HelenBack

Visit site
A lot of people have moved from B&W to Cotts for the reasons you have stated. I think these two are the main options nowadays so if the vet you like has moved over to Cotts then I would register with them if I was you. It's nice to have a relationship with a specific vet and probably helpful in treatment decisions for your horse. Also there seems to be much less staff turnover at Cotts.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I moved with David Agnew - never met a vet I trusted more. I was with B+W and between myself and Kerry we saved my mares life so I cant knock them one bit but David has always held my confidence.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I was with Cotts when living in Bridgend & had John Edwards to my boy & he was fantastic. Heartbroken having to leave them as I moved out of their area & now with B&W! I've had David out for a colic when he was with them & he was brilliant & stayed in touch with me for days checking in & answering questions. Had Lee (Breadstone) a few weeks ago, again brilliant. Also Anna (Willesley) & Anne (Cardiff) separately for teeth & jabs etc who were lovely. Speak as I find - I'm happy with them!

Annagain

Visit site
I missed this first time round but have been having very similar thoughts. I've been with Allen Brown for years and still think he's a great vet (although I wonder if he's as up to date on new stuff and whether he has access to the most modern equipment) but have been using B&W's £10 a month scheme (with Archie and Monty) and their zone days for Charlie's jabs and am now thinking about what to do for Charlie. I'm about to cancel the £10 a month after Monty needed the tiniest bit of extra work at his last dental check - it literally took 2 minutes and they charged an extra £110 for it. The routine stuff that Archie had done (with twice as much sedation as M and took longer as he's an ar$£) was free and I can't help feeling they make up for the stuff that's included by bumping up the stuff that's not. Having said that, the vet who came out, Duncan (he's quite new) was fab. The benefit of Allen is he's 1/2 a mile away in an emergency (provided he's not out and about).

I'm also a big fan of Lee - he was with my friend and her horse's very rare condition every step of the way. Unfortunately she lost him but Lee could not have done more.

Allen will retire soon, I would have thought (I've been saying that for years!) and I think I might be better off going with a vet who will know Charlie for his whole life as Allen has with Archie. I know there's no guarantee of that but it would be my intention. David Agnew came out once in an emergency when he was still with B&W and Allen was away as they provide his cover. Monty had a serious reaction to a nerve block and was absolutely marvellous. I would consider going with him but it's the same issue that I have with Allen - that he's a one man band and I'd have to use B&W for cover, so am I better off going with them for everything? Nicola Burrows was the other vet I really liked at B&W but she's gone on her own now too so that would be the same issue. I have no experience of Cotts - do they do zone days?

Last edited:

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I would consider going with him but it's the same issue that I have with Allen - that he's a one man band and I'd have to use B&W for cover, so am I better off going with them for everything?

I suppose there is that. But Ive had David on whatsapp on a Sunday when I was worried about things telling me I didnt need an emergency call out and he could come in the week, B&W never offered me anything like THAT level of service (no matter how happy enough I was with them) so I guess its swings and roundabouts.

I've only heard excellent things about Cotts too.