Soya / Veg oil

eekmon

Visit site
This has probably been done to death but, I am thinking of putting my old guy on oil as he has lost a bit of weight over the last few weeks. How much to feed a 14.2? And what is the difference between veg and soya oil? Thankyou
smile.gif

hussar

Visit site
I use veg oil as a nutritionist told me that there was no difference at all between veg/corn/soya oils as far as the horse's metabolism was concerned, and not to waste my money on specially formulated 'equine' oils! I feed my 15hh about 2 tablespoonfuls a day - you can feed up to half a pint but your horse would have to be in hard work to cope with that and at that level you should also supplement with selenium and vitamin E.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
I agree with hussar. All mine get veggie oil (Tescos own) every day. For rescues or really poor horses you can use up to half a pint a day. I read somewhere in H&H that too much oil can fur up the arteries.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Feeding soya my farrier has always commented on how good my horses hoofs are. Every body thinks his coat should be made into a fur coat
blush.gif
His mane and tail are in sure good condition the mud slips off and the comb slips through. Also for my youngsters help fill them out and great for top line. Some off these you wouldn't get out other oils. Also costs under a pound!!