spain - info please if possible

asterid

Visit site
So i am a little tired of getting wet in the uk and am considering spain as an option for me and my horses. Can anyone give any advice, info, best locations etc.

Much obliged.

Tamba

Visit site
Hi, I also livein spain, in andalusia, so can answer some questions if you have any. I have to say, its not easy keeping horses here, as its very grassless, so its hay constantly.

asterid

Visit site
Super. Thank you both. When i am back on laptop i will message you both. Regarding hay, my ponies are stuck in stables and are hayed 24 hours too at the moment. Sunshine would make life a lot happier.

TheSaddleLady

Visit site
Hi, I am a long time lurker here but I have just moved to Spain (Valencia area) a few month a go. Like Tamba said, not much in the way of "turnout" how we know it, stabled horses seem to be a norm with just riding or free schooling.
But of course hat may differ in other parts of Spain too. There are good and bad things but the sun isn't such a bad thing!

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Hi, I am a long time lurker here but I have just moved to Spain (Valencia area) a few month a go. Like Tamba said, not much in the way of "turnout" how we know it, stabled horses seem to be a norm with just riding or free schooling.
But of course hat may differ in other parts of Spain too. There are good and bad things but the sun isn't such a bad thing!

Your only an hour from me :D Im In Banyeres de Mariola...

Ive got mine at home, but only have a little land and no grazing, but some lovely neighbours are letting me fence off some of their land, one has given me 2 acres (free)... and I fenced this bit of land this week, about 3/4 acre.... happy horses (this is Harley)

I buy my straw and a type of hay from the local farmers, who deliver and help stack, Ive got a great local feed guy, who also delivers, vets are great

Harley... looks just like the UK...
harley_zps37794350.jpg

Tamba

Visit site
think your really lucky,with the grass, I would be much happier if mine werent standing on earth !, but Im moving soon, off to portugal, to see how I like it there!

Your only an hour from me :D Im In Banyeres de Mariola...

Ive got mine at home, but only have a little land and no grazing, but some lovely neighbours are letting me fence off some of their land, one has given me 2 acres (free)... and I fenced this bit of land this week, about 3/4 acre.... happy horses (this is Harley)

I buy my straw and a type of hay from the local farmers, who deliver and help stack, Ive got a great local feed guy, who also delivers, vets are great

Harley... looks just like the UK...
harley_zps37794350.jpg

sunnyone

Visit site
I brought my horses to Murcia, just on the edge of Andalucía, but they only stayed 5 months before we got them out. Hay was not available at my livery yard, they used a type of straw for fibre instead. The hard food was unidentifiable as to its components.Grass does not grow in many parts unless it is watered each day. Hence the straw was fed throughout the year and we went down to the rambla beds for a mouthful of grass whenever we could.

One of the other riders alerted me to the various summer mites that afflict all the horses to some extent and his horses (native Spanish) to such a degree that he wouldn't allow them to stay for another summer instead he took them home to Austria, where they have since remained. It made better sense than having to leave his wife at home for 3 months in the summer whilst he medicated his horses twice a day. The pictures I saw made our sweet itch cases pale into insignificance. West Nile disease can also be a worry in the far south.

Living for a UK horse in the heat of summer is a real culture shock too as nobody can turn the air conditioning on for them and they don't like 40 degrees for weeks on end. The Spanish horses at the yard rarely seemed to leave their stable or the covered school, unless it was almost dusk.
Indeed the personality of my home bred 4 year old IDx TB changed out of all recognition whilst she was there until we moved her back North to France a land where grass is plentiful, as is shade and a more moderate 28 degrees in the summer.

On the way to and from Murcia we had a couple of nights at the Poney Club de Aragon just outside of Zaragoza. This is one of the best set up establishments I have ever seen with all the amenities for horses and riders you could wish for. Some of the Spanish show jumping team train there too. The most notable thing though was the fact that everybody there seemed to be ENJOYING themselves, from the tiniest tot and their parents up to the most skilled riders.

Rollin

Visit site
Not Spain but Maine et Loire.

The French refer to the sweet climate of Angers, not too hot, not too cold. Hay and straw in plentiful supply close to National Equestrian Centre in Saumur, National Stud at Lion D'Angers.

My choice and have never regretted it.

Close enough to channel to pop home when you feel like it.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Worked for a bit in Galicia beautiful, grass up to your eyeballs but less of the sunshine and more of the rain :p We used to take youngsters from some of the showjumpers further south for some good Dr Green. I thought it was a great horsey part of the world but probably not for you if your trying to avoid the wet
Photo0097.jpg

DSCF0255.jpg

Last edited:

nuttymare01

New User
Visit site
I have also just posted a new thread - before I saw this one. we are viewing a yard in Murcia area with the intention of opening it as an equestrian centre - any advice you can give on what you would be looking for in terms of services, horse management, fees prepared to pay would be most appreciated. It is a small yard and we have vast equine experience. It is a lovely set up and we like the idea of a yard which meets the needs of its clients rather than trying to create a business which no-one wants. It is a blank canvas at the moment so we can be creative. I dont like the fact most yards I have seen out there use straw as the main feed - I would be looking to source hay or haylage so any contacts please pm me. cant wait to hear you thoughts.

Milanesa

Visit site
Hi I am in Andalusia now with many horses we bought from the uk. If this far south is an option for you let me know and I can give you more info :)