Spanish Exportation - Info needed on the medical papers

Balios

New User
Visit site
Hi all, I am a looong time lurker but have been pushed to finally post as I need some guidance.
I am in the process of buying a wonderful horse in Spain. Long story short, I used to live there and used to ride him whilst there and still ride him when I can when I'm over. He came up for sale and I have been given first refusal.
I have got most things in place however I cannot find much information on the veterinary medical certificate needed before travel or the price involved. Does anyone have any ideas or website or information on this? I know it needs to be done by a Spanish Ministry vet but that's all I can find.

Thanks in advance

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Hi, I live in Spain and have done this, though it was about 6 years ago, the horse will need to be checked and given a health certificate from the vet, and yes a Spanish ministry rather than the bog standard everyday vet, the person you are buying the horse from should be able to arrange this, its not expensive, I think I paid 3.50€ for it (that included the vet coming out) the vet wanted to see the legal documents from the company transporting the horse, any reputable transport will be able to sort this (they emailed me all the relevant paperwork to show the vet) A lot of people here recommend East Elms, LOC and ETA transport, I would email those and ask for information. If you are on FB join 'Horse owners in Spain' we have a large amount of members that have done this and perhaps some will be in the area the horse is in and tell you which vet to use.

Mr Clovis

Visit site
Where in Spain is the horse? The local town hall should be able to give you the details of the local ministry and vet. I live in Granada and the local OCA do not charge for this service.

Balios

New User
Visit site
Thanks both.
Freckles - I used to live in Spain (about an hour from you, near Gandia!). I have already got a quote from LOC (tried ETA and they told me they don't often go to Spain so gave me LOCs number) but will call and ask them. Ah right, I shall email a vet I know in the area, she will know who the ministry vet would be.

Clovis - He's in Valencia, I shall get a friend who is near there to check for me. Thank you!

j1ffy

Visit site
I can't help with the paperwork question, but just to say that John Parker transport are also excellent and go regularly to Spain. I've also heard that Eastelms are good.

You may already know this, but you'll need to register the horse within 30 days of arrival in the UK. If it's PRE or part bred or 'Spanish type' you can do this via BAPSH registry services - bapsh.co.uk.

rifruffian

Visit site
I have done this recently. I recommend transport company LOC. In spain the 2 entities key to this operation are your OCA office and an approved vet. These two need to cooperate with each other. If you do not know a local approved vet, ask at the OCA office. The animal inspection and certification must be done close to loading time (can't remember if its within 24 hours or 48 hours.) So the main function of the person handling the consignment is to liaise with the transporter and to inform the vet of loading time. The vet will then time his visit and formalities to conform to that time. Sometimes an OCA person will turn up to check formalities. You pay vet fees, according to what he likes to charge.
Its a bit nerve wracking to get everyone dancing to the tune at the right time.....but seems to mostly come good in the end.
Obviously you must check that the horse passport and microchip papers are present before you start this.

Balios

New User
Visit site
J1ffy - Thanks! I believe he is PRE (but maybe not registered). I shall look into it but will definitely need doing once he's here!

minkymoo - I shall do that thankyou. I've never had an Iberian horse before, always cobs or Arabs.

The people I've spoken to at LOC have been lovely and very helpful.
It's a very scary but exciting thing. I swear my nerves will be ruined by the time he gets to UK soil!

jokadoka

Visit site
I have used LOC in the past to transport horses from the UK to France. Would not recommend them to anybody

Dry Rot

Visit site
Does John Parker get that far? If so, they work with Eric Gillies at the UK end and can be highly reomended. All I had to do when exp[orting a pony to Germany/Holland was present the pony with head collar and passport at my farm in Scotland and they did the rest.

Shady

Visit site
Very excited for you Balios! can't add anything to the transport suggestions but just wanted to say please watch what he eats when he arrives, i have a PRE who came directly from Spain to a dealer in France where i bought him, most are given chopped straw and hard feed and i had 3 bouts of mild colic despite being really careful, he settled after a while but i do have to watch his weight, they are very good doers, hope everything goes to plan and we get some photo's , good luck xxx