Spanish horses

Hackback

Visit site
Sorry if this has been done to death.

I have an Arab and tentatively looking for another, but in a really ideal world I'd like something a bit more substantial. My partner had a bigger horse, sadly now gone over rainbow bridge, and I looked better on him (my toes didn't stick out, presumably because my legs had something to rest against!) This is a vain reason for wanting a bigger horse I know.

So I've been browsing through the old threads on here about the Spanish breeds and I quite like the sound of them. But i have absolutely zero personal experience so I joined a FB group in the hope of learning more.

However the FB group appears to be more of a sales site and nearly all the adverts mention the level of schooling the horse is at, eg green flying changes etc.

I like hacking (as in day trips out, just me, my horse and an ordnance survey map), pleasure rides and hunting. Having joined this FB group I now wonder if Spanish horses are more suited to activities that keep their brains occupied. Maybe the lack of discipline out hunting would be too overwhelming? I don't mind excited dancing, but not meltdowns/rearing, obviously.

I'd love to get thoughts from people with real life experience.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
A good group to join is GBPRE on facebook as that doesn't allow sales and organisers all the breed shows events etc which would give you a good feel of the breed.

If you have had Arabs and get on with them you will find the personality of the Spanish pretty similar. They're brave and quick but like to get it right and they can quite stressed by mixed signals.

There are plenty that are hackers and hunt, I would recommend maybe riding a few to get a feel of what you like.

NLPM

Visit site
My PRE likes to be kept busy, and she lives to hack. She'll compete just fine, but it's quite clear her absolute favourite thing is exploring out in the forest with a mix of ambling along looking around and a good blast. Most of the PREs I've known have enjoyed being out and about, alone or in company - beach rides, sponsored rides, all over the place. I don't know anyone who hunts theirs, but I wouldn't hesitate to take mine if she was fit enough - she's hot and excitable and would probably be a bit silly, but she's also incredibly brave and loyal. I'd trust her completely.

She's quite dinky compared to my friends' PREs, who are mostly quite sporty and 'leggy'. Mine is only about 15.1 and very compact, but I think 'substantial' would actually be a pretty good description for her - she feels like quite a little powerhouse :).

littleshetland

Visit site
I don't do fun rides or hunt with mine...he's a bit to 'hot' for those types of activities, but he does love to be busy - I'd say his happy place is in the school or quieter hacks. He's good at shows and going training to other yards, but he does love to work, work ,work! He's incredibly clever and very brave. I could describe them as the Border Collies' of the horse world.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My rising four year old has become a much more settled person since she's started proper "work." She's not backed yet, so that's lunging, long-lining, and long walks in-hand. Playing around with tarps is well and good, but she was ready to really start using her body. She's brave and sensible on walks, either alone or in company. Led a couple nervous older horses over a motorway bridge a couple weeks ago without batting an eye.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I had a lusitano-pretty much the same breed, mine was Veiga so quite hot. He was a brilliant solo hack, scared of nothing (which is not the same as never spooking) and we also did a lot of clinics. I wasn’t brave enough to jump him but he jumped like a cat, careful and was happy to jump at liberty-show jumps and xc.
he was very hot in company, suited me as i don’t like company ? and I wouldn’t have tried hunting him, we did a couple of pleasure endurance rides though. We could and did hack for hours and hours, he loved a new view. wish I had discovered horse archery back then, he had a perfect canter for it and would have loved it.

Hackback

Visit site
Thank you everyone, you have done absolutely nothing to discourage me. In fact I really want to try one now. They do sound amazing, and encouraging to know they can enjoy hacking too. I've joined the FB group, thank you @shortstuff99

@Pinkvboots - is that the 'Fairy tale dressage horse'? She really is a dream horse. I've watched a few sales videos and been a bit disappointed but hers is just a joy from beginning to end. How I wish I could ride like that! She would be so wasted on me. Doubt I could afford her anyway. But omg just what a dream ...