Spanish (PRE) Horse People - some questions for you

Andiamo

Visit site
Howie,
great to hear your experience - that your horse travelled well, and settled in quickly. Also good to hear about the hacking and that he took to it like an old hand ;) Mine has never hacked before either, and I'm not sure whether to brave the first ride myself or get a pro to do it...the hacking will be directly in The New Forest - so he will have a lot to cope with - wild hairy cows running free, ponies, deer, plus, the sheer wilds of the New Forest will be completely a new experience for him. So when you hack, do you go with others? Does he get on with other horses well? Can you only hack with geldings?

When you say your boy got stage fright in warm up arenas - what did he do? What was he frightened of - the other horses, mirrors etc or the new environment? Does he behave well in new environments normally?

BD gave you 260 points - I've been wondering about that myself, since he is a wee bit older (5), I imagined they'd put some automatic points on him. Should I keep the points or try to downgrade him? Is there a benefit to either option?

To everyone - those of you with PRE stallions - were you experienced with stallions before you got your PRE stalllion? Or if you don't have prior-stallion-experience, did you buy it and keep it as a stallion because it was as well behaved as a gelding? How do your stallions manage around other horses? How do you manage at shows? Do you need to be a professional to handle them at shows when there are other horses around? Or can you cope on your own?

I've seen some ridden breeding stallions before, and they are an absolute handful, like bouncy, hormonal firecrackers with a rocket in their pocket, ready to pull your arm off if they see another horse...gorgeous horses, but you'd need to be really experienced with stallions / or a pro to handle them from the ground or ride them.

j1ffy

Visit site
Any news? I do hope the horse made it to the clinic you wanted and passed!

Re: your stallion question, I've hacked out stallions in Spain in big mixed groups of mares and geldings (including in-season mares) and handled them with no problems. However, my trainer out there does assess early on whether a horse has the temperament to be kept entire and will geld them if not.

I do think though that people should consider why they want to keep a horse as a stallion. Unless it's for breeding, it seems fairly pointless as, with schooling, they retain the muscles and, as they're a fairly hot breed, the presence. It's much easier for the owner and more sociable for the horse if they are gelded!

Re: BD points, a 5yo is allocated 45 so you'd (just!) still be able to do Prelims.

dany

Visit site
Congrats ! he is gorgeous x

I imported mine 6 months ago now and dont regret a second. I used John Parker and was extremally happy with them. Coliseo walked off the transporter 5 days later as fresh as a daisy, although might have dropped a smidge of weight. He was worked the next day and settled almost instantly.

The only problems weve had, were due to his feet, but I dont think the farriers in Belguim as such a bad reputation.

Currently I feed Top chop lite, nuts and top spec balancer.

Paperwork wise, I had to have a vet out to confirm he was the same horse from the import papers, but im not sure if its the same for geldings? That then got sent with a fee and the passport to the BAPSH.

Andiamo

Visit site
Jiffy - thanks for sharing that about the stallions.

I just have to share a link with you all - of the most gorgeously stunning horse - I WANT HIM! he is called Encanto - I am enchanted... http://www.cortijodebracanas.com/in...orse-encanto&catid=35:horses-for-sale&lang=en

You know, I think I mnight end up having more than one PRE... ;))

Vetting update:
1) I cancelled the vetting at the clinic with the vet that couldn't be arsed to speak to me...
2) I called the original (nice) clinic, and they had no appointments left until next week (no good considering I planned to be there on Fri/Sat only.)

3) I stayed up until after midnight searching in google for equine (paarden)vets in the area. I was exhausted and stressed, and needed to get up at 3am to get the Eurostar over to Belgium).

4) Woke up at 7am with sunshine streaming through the window - I had missed Eurostar due to oversleeping / alarm didn't go off. Non-refundable ticket. Tried to book another ticket, and it was over £200 for a one way to get me there today.

5) Decided life is too short to be stressed. Decided to enjoy the sunshine, stay in UK and relax, I didn't want to fork out another £200+ on top of what I had already spent. I decided to use that £200 for additional XRays if required. Had to write off hotel costs and Eurostar costs for the weekend because it is all non-refundable.

6) Called the nice clinic this morning and begged for them to fit in an appointment - the vet was very accommodating and at very short notice is coming in on Saturday on his day off to do it. Now that's what I call service...

7) I spoke to the nice vet for probably half an hour this afternoon to go through everything that I want for the vetting, he was very friendly, and helpful. He even offered to have their intern be there to video the vetting. He really put my mind at ease.

8) Told the owners they had to go to the clinic I had arranged no matter what. I told them how I had been treated by the clinic they wanted to go to... they were very put out by it...but oh well, thems the breaks...if you want to sell a horse, you need to be willing, available and flexible, especially when it comes to the vetting. It is an inappropriate time to be inflexible, unavailable, and arsey. Especially inappropriate when the buyer is trying to organise it all from another country and doesn't know the local area or language. I actually had to learn some Dutch for my google searches last night... horse=paarden; horse clinic=Paardenkliniek

9) It's all organised now, now it's time to crack open a bottle (of something strong) and put my feet up and watch Americal Idol finals. Vetting is at 8am Saturday morning. I am tempted to sleep through the whole thing and just wake up for the final call from the vet to say "yea" or "nay".

Will keep you posted.

Vettings are nerve wracking!

Howie

New User
Visit site
Hi Andiamo,

I started him on short hacks - with my trainer's 19 year old GP gelding who is a saint and always reliable. We stuck to walk for first few outings, and can honestly say we had no probs at all. He was and remains remarkably quiet to hack and seems to really enjoy being out and about. I now hack him out with any of the other horses in the yard -including the mares, and never had an issue. (And - he was used as a breeding stallion in Barcelona). It took a while to build his confidence when hacking solo - it's not that he was ever nappy or spooky, but he did call periodically. I just talked to him, stayed relaxed, and now he's as happy on tod as with company.

On the 'stallion' thing - I was open-minded. about it. Having had him 7 months now - I cant imagine why I would want to geld him. He is in a yard with 9 other geldings and mares... any one of the horses can be tied up close to him and he pays them no attention... I can lead him all over the place in a head collar without being tanked about.... he travels beautifully by himself or with company.... and he takes no notice of the gelding who grazes in an adjacent field. My vet says that in his experience - the PRE stallions are much easier to keep entire than many breeds - and to date he's been right.

At his first show - the warm up arena was v busy, it was not very well lit (we were competing at 6.30pm on a v cold Feb eve). He just got very tense, and when he could hear horses on the concrete going into the adjacent indoor school - but couldn't see them - he panicked, and plunged around a bit. It was just fear - and he didn't lose it completely. By spending the next few weeks taking him to other schools in the area, and getting him used to working in unfamiliar places -he got better and better. I now have no hestitation driving him to shows by myself. A friend meets me for moral support, but I handle him myself as we have now built up quite a bond. Prob helps that I'm at the yard 6+ hrs a day so we've got to know each other really well.

As a 7 year old import - he automatically got 260 points, and altho I considered a downgrade assessment I would have been on thin ground as he is v established at Med level in his training.... it's just his competition experience that was lacking. Not surprising as in Spain there is nothing between the 6 year old classes and PSG.

j1ffy

Visit site
Well I'm exhausted just reading about that so I'll join you in the strong drink!! Best of luck for tomorrow.

Ps - further to dany's post, you will need a vet ID for a gelding but the BAPSH registrar will give you all the paperwork and info you need.

Pps - we hadn't intended to buy one PRE but we now have two. They are addictive...

tigers_eye

Visit site
Hurrah! Think you have worked out the best situation. Do you know which vet it is, I have a feeling it's the one I dealt with yesterday, and his intern, both lovely people with excellent english. Well done for putting your foot down, will certainly bear your experience in mind if others ask. Out of interest google map which clinic is closer to them, I think I know and I think their orginal argument doesn't hold on a saturday! Lets hope all goes well, he passes and you have a fab new horse very soon.

Andiamo

Visit site
HE PASSED!!! with flying colours!!! Nothing to report, everything perfect!!!

What a huge relief :)))

Now just have to organise money and transport.

I am so delighted!! :)) I can't wait to have him here.

I absolutely loved the earlier comment about the horse bringing out the poster's "inner little girl" who loves to brush her pony's long mane and tail - that will definitely be me soon :)))

------------------------------------------------------

Dany - Coliseo is a stunning boy, you must be a very proud mummy!

J1ffy - how long after your first PRE did it take you to buy your second one? ;)

Howie - your horse sounds like a really good boy, lucky you! Very cool that you can take him to shows by yourself.

j1ffy

Visit site
Wooooooohoooooo!! Been looking out for your post :) I look forwards to lots of updates and piccies. Maybe we should do an HHO PRE get-together one day!!

We bought PRE 1 in March last year when on a riding holiday in Spain (my OH had been riding for only a year and we wanted a horse that he could ride and I could have fun on - we were meant to get something at the back-end of the year but we fell in love!!).

When we went back in May to put him on the lorry, my OH decided that I was unlikely to share so he should have his own!! PRE 2 was an unbroken 3yo, literally just brought in from the stud where he'd been running with a herd of colts. We groomed him, not realising that no-one had even touched his legs at that point, and he was so soft and gentle! A moto-cross bike went by and he watched with interest and some fear in his eyes, but he didn't move a muscle, assessed the danger and relaxed. So we did a deal with the trainer to buy him with the first 6 months of his training included in the costs. It's turned out to be a very good purchase, but due to a change in circumstances here in the UK he's still in Spain. It's a great excuse to go for long weekends, drink Fino, eat Jamon Iberico and ride lovely horses though ;)

eva

Visit site
yaaaaaay Andiamo!!!! I'm so glad he passed!!!! They're certainly addictive.... If I could afford another one I'd have one ANY day.... the black one you've mentioned is just a dream isn't he... They're just soooooooooo perfect in every way, like candy, it's too tempting not to have 2 or 6 or 17 of them :) !!!!!!!!! Sadly I'm on a PRE diet and can only enjoy 1, but man do I enjoy it :) We def need a PRE get together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd love to take mine to New Forest for a mega hack!!!!! That's when he'll learn to load ahem :)

Bennions Field

Visit site
just found your thread and realy pleased your little man passed :))))

i've had my pre mare now for 5 years, brought her over from spain as a 9 month old foalie, and never regretted it. she's unable to be ridden now due to a field injury as a 2 year old but hey, that horses ! she's about to drop a lovely foalie in the next few weeks hopefully.

i too came from walmbloods and have not regretted having a pre. they are much easier to handle and dont appear to have quite as many quirky bits !!

with regard to feeding etc, i too use simple systems, at least i did untill 3-4 weeks ago when my supplier stoped suplying, but find using alfa a nuts (soaked) and non mollased chaff/sugarbeet seems to work well, even for a broodmare !

other than that i treat her just the same as the rest, she goes out the same as the WB's and is just as much a good doer, so they dont seem to need as much grass as other breeds.

best of luck with the transport, i used a transporter from scotland and she arrived cool calm and collected having spent 8 days making her way up from spain, stopping off at various places on the way, she walked off the lorry and happily tucked into some hayledge and never looked back, taking all things new in her stride.

i am sure you will be super pleased with your new boy and i wish you many years of happy ownership, they are addictive and i would happily have another, fortunately my 28 year old and 20 year old walmblood's stop me buying more !!!

Andiamo

Visit site
My new Spanish horse - Just to keep you all updated:

• my boy passed his vetting on Saturday, no problems. I had all Xrays done plus 4 back xrays.
  • transport booked - John Parker picking him up on Friday, and he'll be with me on Saturday :))
  • livery sorted now
  • training sorted - Fiona Foy does clinics nearby, and also Andrew Gould comes to yard to do lessons, plus I have great onsite help at yard! :)
  • Insurance - sorted
  • Feed- he was on a competition mix in Belgium - I gave the list of ingredients and a pic of the feed to the major feed companies, and they have said it is most similar to a competition mix. So, I have to decide whether to get some, or to simplify his diet to pony nuts/ cool mix. Not sure yet.
  • Bit - all decided - KK Ultra with a lozenge
  • Saddler - sorted - he's coming out next week. I've said I want an adjustable saddle, so it can be changed as he fills out. Have you all had to change tree width (by how many sizes) or just re-flock in order to keep up with your horse's changing shape?
  • BAPSH - sorted - I know what I need to do, and when to send it all in by and will get vet organised to come identify the horse next week

Goodness me, it's a lot of work to buy / import a PRE isn't it?!!

By the way, which bedding do you all keep your PRE's on - straw or shavings? Only shavings are allowed at the yard - I'm worried he'll end up like a big puffball with his mane full of shavings...

Also RUGS - neckless rugs or full-neck rugs? I read something about full-neck rugs being bad because they can rub the mane away...

dressagecrazy

Visit site
Mines on Shavings never have a problem, one tip is to wash the mane often & then it's much easier to brush out.
I also keep my PRE in long plaits when muddy as it keeps most of the mane out of the mud.

I keep mine in non hooded rugs as his mane is gorg & i dont want anything spoiling it.
My full neck rugs rub all my horses manes out so im stopping using them on all of them.

Mines fed Topchop lite, Baileys Lo-Cal & haylage thats it atm, there quite good doers mine has loads of energy on this.

Is the bit what he's already in?? As you really cant decide until you try tbh, mine hates thin bit's, so he's in a fairly fat german silver lozenge snaffle.

Good luck & enjoy there lovely horses im chuffed with my boy i train with TTT instructors & there all cooing over him saying that he'll have no problem going through the dressage levels.

Andiamo

Visit site
Dressagecrazy, thanks for your response :)) It's really helpful.

The bit I have is a medium thick lozenge bit, a Sprenger KK Ultra. He's currently in a Western style bit with his owners (a Robarts pinchless bit?). I had planned to try the KK bit in his mouth for short periods of time to see how he copes, and then lunge him in it, to see if he's comfortable.

Good tip about the rugs. Mine has a gorgeous mane as well , I don't want to lose even one hair of it! What about those lycra-type pullover hoods - to protect the mane (in stable and field)? http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/Gear-rev...and-neck-covers/Mark-Todd-Lycra-Stretch-Hood/ - I know they're completely ridiculous looking!!, but if it protects the mane, maybe the good (gorgeous clean mane) outweighs the bad? (horse looks like Batman)

Simple diet seems to be the way forward.

What are TTT instructors?

dany

Visit site
It took me months to find a bit mine was happy in, we settled on an eggbutt NS, the thinest I could find as he has a small mouth.

I wouldnt dare put a neck rug on, but have used a snuggy jams with no problems. I also plait his mane and leave it for a week or so, then wash, dry then re-plait.

Bedding wise he is on wood chip, we did try the pellets for a while but then the yard decided to change back to chip again.

Coming directly from Spain, we had a few days when he would only eat straw, but then once he worked out hay, he wouldnt eat anything else and has turned into the yard fusspot!

eva

Visit site
Ohhhh How Exciting - Saturday!!!! That's so sooooon!!!!! Oh, I hope you two have years of happiness ahead of you.
Re rugs, I turn out mine in a necked rug, no problem, his mane seems as bushy as ever. The only bit that is rubbed out a little is the one that had a normal necked stable rug on :( I think his mane/tail are so fluffy it'll take something special to damage it. Also full necks offer some feeble protection against stable stains... which are plenty when you have a grey horse... I think you're really lucky (or wise, or probably both) to have a bay, he should be 2000% less likely to greet you with his lovely yellow face :/

dany

Visit site
Lynn Russell Quic stain for stable stains, they come off in a jiffy - no problem. Spray on, rub in and foam, sponge off and as clean as a whistle x

eva

Visit site
thanks Dany!!! will stock up :) oooh it would be soo cool to make a big get together for Spanish horse afficionados :)

dany

Visit site
My pleasure Eva, I try not to leave any stain to fester, but with that spray, I find it pretty easy to keep them at bay x