Spasmodic Colic (caused by grass)

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Hi everyone :)

Hoping for some help/tips on how to manage a horse that gets colic when at grass.

I have a PRE stallion, who I imported March 13. I moved him to a new yard last December so he could have grass turnout. However, he gets spasmodic colic due to the grass. First time, about Jan 14 and we had to call the vet (who thankfully managed it with drugs). Then he has had it a further 3 times approx since. We have however managed it with bute on these occasions. Vet has said it's the grass and lots of cases at the moment. We limited his turnout, starting with one hour per day and have increased it to 4 hours daily, he moved paddocks and got it again.

His belly is all gassy and he isn't dealing with it. I have him on Dodson & Horrell Yea Sacc supplement which my vet recommended. Is there anything else anyone can think of or recommend that I use?

He is spanish and yes they do not get on with 'good' grass I am already aware. Just trying to find solution or something that will help him.

Thank you :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My cob is the same, but I am managing him fairly successfully at the moment. I can keep him turned out 24/7 for all except the most challenging times, by keeping him on a bare c40m x 40m patch, with dry hay as necessary.

My lad's triggers are sun on frosted grass, and rapid grass growth after rainfall. I keep him in part time when either of those happen. When I do turn him out, I make sure that he goes out with a belly full of dry hay, which seems to buffer the effects of the grass.

I have started allowing him controlled time out with the others on slightly richer grazing, starting with with 45 minute stints, but always with hay fed first. I aim to be able to turn him out with the others all night, but am working my way cautiously there.

Good luck, it's a bit of a nightmare, isn't it?

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
My cob is the same, but I am managing him fairly successfully at the moment. I can keep him turned out 24/7 for all except the most challenging times, by keeping him on a bare c40m x 40m patch, with dry hay as necessary.

My lad's triggers are sun on frosted grass, and rapid grass growth after rainfall. I keep him in part time when either of those happen. When I do turn him out, I make sure that he goes out with a belly full of dry hay, which seems to buffer the effects of the grass.

I have started allowing him controlled time out with the others on slightly richer grazing, starting with with 45 minute stints, but always with hay fed first. I aim to be able to turn him out with the others all night, but am working my way cautiously there.

Good luck, it's a bit of a nightmare, isn't it?

Thanks for that, very helpful.

It is a nightmare, I really want him to go out and be a horse as obviously as a stallion in Spain he didn't have a nice life! couped up 24/7. He loves going out and is so quiet head down, I do not want to have to stop turnout.

I'm on full livery so they have to be in a routine and that is currently going out mornings. I may ask if there is room for change. I'm not sure if he has a net before he goes out but will check. I know it's unlikely they will put hay in the field though.

WandaMare

Visit site
I had a mare like this, she was always worse on rich, wet grass so I had to limit her intake dramatically. I know this isn't everyone's view but the only thing which seemed to help her was Pink Powder. She still got a mild colic very occasionally but maybe once a year rather than 4 or 5 times, and it was more manageable.

Exercise really helps too, I found riding her early in the morning and getting her metabolism moving helped, then sometimes a brisk walk in hand in the evening. I used to walk her along our 'spooky' hedge which fired her up and helped move everything through!

Worldiscomplete

Visit site
Sorry to hear you're struggling. Have you thought about whether he might have ulcers? I'm sure the vet would've mentioned it but my lad had gassy colic and I asked whether she thought it might be ulcer related. She confirmed it could be so we went and got the boy scoped and he has 12-15 grade 2/3 ulcers which I'm now managing through using a herbal supplement from equine science. I appreciate not every colic case is ulcer linked but may give you some food for thought? Good luck.

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Sorry to hear you're struggling. Have you thought about whether he might have ulcers? I'm sure the vet would've mentioned it but my lad had gassy colic and I asked whether she thought it might be ulcer related. She confirmed it could be so we went and got the boy scoped and he has 12-15 grade 2/3 ulcers which I'm now managing through using a herbal supplement from equine science. I appreciate not every colic case is ulcer linked but may give you some food for thought? Good luck.

A few people off of here have mentioned ulcers.

I'm not sure, I don't think so. It is definitely grass that causes it. Could that stil mean it's ulcers?

He does no crib bite etc, the only sign I can think of which could be linked to ulcer signs I know of, is relectance to go forward in ridden work.....if that i one? he's a bit lazy (which is unusual for a young spanish stallion!!).

onemoretime

Visit site
It might be worth you talking to Kate at Coligone. She is on here but I cannot remember her username someone with a better memory than me on here will know. Coligone is very good for horses prone to bouts of colic and Kate is very knowledgeable. If you google Coligone her details will come up.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I had exactly this. The only thing that worked for us is a muzzle and slowly increasing turnout. She is now completely tolerant...with a muzzle on.

RoughcutDiamond

Visit site
My lad has thankfully only had one episode of this. Vet advised, as you have done to restrict grazing and gradually build up time, but also to do this on every rested paddock/field when he first goes in. Dave then had an episode of gas colic at which point I was recommended Happy Tummy (charcoal, not activated) which, unlike activated charcoal, can be fed long term. Animals use it naturally in the wild to soak up gastrointestinal toxins. I put him on it straight away, only having a wee break over the winter and, touch wood, he seems much less gassy. Restricting the turnout too, much to his disgust, since he will not tolerate a muzzle