Speaking of Caroline Bradley

Weezy

Visit site
Caroline Bradley was my absolute total heroine - I read H&H from the time I could read and I followed her every move - I remember watching her jump and I was totally in childhood love with her - I vividly remember my father telling me she had died and I stamped my feet and made him let me watch the news to confirm it (yes younger peeps, it was newsworthy that a SJer had died) it broke my heart
frown.gif

Ryans Son was ALWAYS my fave horse along with Everest Forever and If Ever - I was lucky enough to meet the Edgars and Nick and Lesley (then) McNaught when they were the "Everest" team - happy days
laugh.gif
Liz let me take Forevers plaits out (I was about 6 LOL) and help load the horses into the lorry (under great supervision) I grew to about 10 foot that day!

SJFAN

Visit site
Jane 's maiden name was Richards I think - she is now Jane Davies and still competes quite a lot. Viewpoint was Philip's top horse - came clse to winning the Hickstead Derby, Saucy Brown was normally Mark's ride. Their sister Lindsay also did a bit but not at top level.

SJFAN

Visit site
Going further back (to 1962) I can remember being very upset when my mum broke the news to me that Sunsalve (1960 Olympic Bronze medal winner and 1961 European Champion for David Broome) had died of a heart attack. That was considered newsworthy by the BBC in those days. He'd been back with his owners for a while - David had hoped to renew the partnership.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think The Freak may have been a bit bigger than Gladstone. Gladstone (previously ridden by the late Hartwig Steenken) was not enormous but was very powerful. Hugo is very short but the only small horse I can remember him riding was a bay called Flipper who did well at Hickstead, and ET was I guess an average size. He had a lot of success in the earlier part of his career with the big grey Lavendel.

The Heffers were never full-time show jumpers, and it's hard to combine competing at top level with other non equine/farm jobs. Mark ran Harwood Hall (Upminster) for a while before its closure and conversion I believe to a nursing home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering what happenned to Harwood Hall lol! I used to compete there as a teenager...against the Lewis sisters amongst others
blush.gif

Hugo Simon also rode a horse called Jasper (aka Little One)...who is a distant relative of my Bo
smile.gif

SJFAN

Visit site
I'd forgotten about Little One - - his stud career produced some good horses including It's the Business.

I have good memories of Harwood Hall - went to several indoor shows there (and some events were televised in the "good old days"). Also went to what I think was the last ever show there - outdoors.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Since a few lady riders have been mentioned, might I add Alison Dawes (nee Westwood)? Along with Caroline Bradley, Marion Mould and Anne Moore, she was one of the real greats. I had the honour and privilege to stay with this wonderful horsewoman and share her memories of the lovely little horse Maverick - on whom she won the Hickstead Derby twice. She is my absolute sj heroine and a more unassuming, natural 'horseman' and gentle person you will never meet.

SJFAN

Visit site
Alison was unlucky not to have jumped in the Olympics with The Maverick (later called Mr Banbury). She was reserve in 1968 which was the last time the Team event was made up of teams of 3 with all scores to count. After that the Nations Cup format was used. The Individual event used to take place before the Team. Marion Coakes and Stroller, David Broome and Mister Softee (Silver and Bronze Individual medallists) were joined by Harvey Smith and the relatively inexperienced Madison Time. And I think they were expected to be on the 1972 team but the horse had a veterinary problem at the crucial time.

sallyf

Visit site

Caroline Bradley was just awesome , but my last recollection of her was competing against her in a foxhunter class at Kinoulton when she was riding the great Milton as a novice.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
I remember her - she was the "Ellen Whitaker" of her era - I remember that confused feeling when she died - I was only young but it stuck in my mind
frown.gif

Kate x

tarzipan06

Visit site
I think Michelle Lewis still competes - I see her sometimes in the ring at Patchetts.
What a lovely nostalgic post this is. I remember Caroline Bradley, and her wonderful horse Tigre. I seem to remember a really hunky (now there's a word showing my age) rider called Andy Austin and I vaguely remember him being sponsored by a Hairdressing salon
smile.gif
Does anyone know what happened to him and Duncan Inglis?

Rambo

Visit site
I remember Andy Austin too...don't know what happenned to him though.

Duncan is still very much out and about though...he's got a lovely new Mare - Sunkist - who is just starting to get onto NC teams. He also coaches a lot in Sussex
smile.gif