spelling and grammar!!!

donablue

www.myspace.com
does it matter!!!
we all know what it means when we read it!! what the heck!!!

goodness me .. if anyone wants to give us spelling lessons then feel free to do so.

ajn1610

Visit site
90% of the time I'd agree, but sometimes there are posts which are almost impossible to read due to poor spelling, grammar and punctuation.

ruscara

Visit site
I think this might get more responses if you put it in the Soapbox - the New Lounge is for horse related posts!
smile.gif

Patches

Visit site
The biggest bugbear I have is people who type a 500 word post in one paragraph.

It makes it so hard to read. Infact, I'll be honest and say I would rarely read that type of post as it's just too hard going on the old eyes.

Do schools no longer teach students the importance of full stops and paragraphs these days?

Spellings don't often annoy me, so long as what is typed is legible.

niagaraduval

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
90% of the time I'd agree, but sometimes there are posts which are almost impossible to read due to poor spelling, grammar and punctuation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.BUT we even have a spell check that corrects us.. But sometimes it is impossible to understand what the OP is trying to say. We have spelling and grammar for a reason. It makes things easier to understand!

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
We can all still read what the words mean - for example;

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod
aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was
rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the
hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch
at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't
mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a
wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is
taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in
the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
taotl mses and you can sitll raed it
whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the
huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter
by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot
slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed
. You have to write what it meant.

But I do still think it is important. Like it or not poor spelling does give a bad impression of the writer

Tinker_Belle

Visit site

Erm, I have to say it does annoy me. If people can't be bothered to spell the simplest of words then it's a poor show in my opinion.

One of the main bugbears are when people get mixed up between 'there' 'they're' & 'their'. That does annoy me!

Sorry but it is an opinion.

Jingleballs

Visit site
I can't handle the ones that use text speak (that's because I'm not hip anymore and don't understand it)

I also dislike it when people type their whole post in capital letters - feels like I'm being shouted at!!
grin.gif

MistletoeMegan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
does it matter!!!
we all know what it means when we read it!! what the heck!!!

goodness me .. if anyone wants to give us spelling lessons then feel free to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

If poor spelling and grammar convey the subject matter as well as correct spelling and grammar, then why not construct your posts correctly?

Tinker_Belle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can't handle the ones that use text speak

[/ QUOTE ]

That really annoys me. To the extent I don't bother reading the post. It's lazy & not correct.

Oh my gosh, I'm being very harsh on this aren't I?!
crazy.gif
I think you gathered it annoys me.....
crazy.gif
blush.gif
grin.gif
smirk.gif

FinellaGlen

Visit site
Whilst I like to see correct spelling and grammar I think that we all have to accept that not everyone, for whatever reason, is able to spell perfectly or construct beautiful sentences. I do find long, unpunctuated paragraphs hard to read but, aside from that, I can usually understand the point that the poster is trying to make so their facility for language doesn't worry me.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Poor spelling and poor punctuation annoy me the most. Especially when people type a paragraph that appears to be one entire sentence. Obviously a few mistakes are easy to read though, but generally I won't even bother to read threads that I have to decipher.

jellyshake

Visit site
It would matter if this was some kind of test or job application, but it isn't
wink.gif
, it's conversation on a very large scale
smile.gif
How many of us talk perfect english, I know I don't and although basic spelling mistakes scream out the screen at me,I may mentally correct them but I also willingly own up to making mistakes of my own both in grammar and spelling
laugh.gif

As for spell checkers, they make us lazy, no need to learn how to spell because the pc will do it for you
wink.gif

wjgfred

Visit site
I have to say I dont care about spelling. I thought the idea of this was that we try to help each other when we can!!

I dont care how its written, if I have experience of something or think I can help, I do.

JoJo_

Visit site
I think on this forum people should try to spell and use grammar the best they can. I do sometimes get distracted by how bad a post is because of the horrible spelling etc. I guess it does put me off writing an opinion on the topic in a way. Left wondering if the person who wrote the post paid any attention during english at school or if they just cant be bothered to write well. Hehe.

I agree this is a soapbox thread too. Not at all equine related and have mentioned this on a couple donablue's topics of discussion on the new lounge.

donablue

www.myspace.com
oh dear !!!! sorry im getting told off again! i do apologise sorry guys was supposed to be in soap box

sorry jojo eventer!

i will try an think next time i post to try and put it in the right room! so so sorry once again

minkymoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
does it matter!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. It matters because it is the basis of the English language and without it society falls apart. A beautifully written piece of literature is like a beautiful piece of music.

Spelling & grammar are the written equivalent of good manners in my book. I feel that people who don't bother to check their spelling and grammar are lazy and therefore think it doesn't matter.

I don't think you can say that your English is bad because you have dyslexia, I am slightly dyslexic and because of this I work harder to ensure that I have written well and that I check my spelling.

You may have noticed that I am quite emotive about this topic!
tongue.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
does it matter!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. It matters because it is the basis of the English language and without it society falls apart. A beautifully written piece of literature is like a beautiful piece of music.

Spelling & grammar are the written equivalent of good manners in my book. I feel that people who don't bother to check their spelling and grammar are lazy and therefore think it doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
How very well put
smile.gif

Nudibranch

Visit site
It is important for a whole variety of reasons, not least because the way you write conveys meaning - it's not like speaking face to face. The way something is written says a lot about the writer IMHO. Also, I have to say, exclamation marks are a particular bugbear of mine and when they are used all the time, they lose their impact when you are actually trying to say something with meaning.

BlackDiamond

Visit site
It matters because when you don't bother with spelling and grammar it makes posts hard to read, why make something hard if you can make it easy? Yes Ok we do all understand, but that's no excuse for laziness.

chillidragon

Visit site
Punctuation can actually alter the entire meaning of a sentence. Consider: Without her contributions to the forum would be few. (Note how you might have to re-read that a couple of times to make sense where just one comma would make it easier. Now imagine doing that for every line of a post.)

Consider also: Woman without her man is useless. Add punctuation (woman; without her, man is useless) and suddenly we have the exact opposite meaning.

Consider also the well-worn: The panda eats, shoots and leaves. (So does the panda (a) finish its dinner, blow off the waiter's head and flee, or (b) dine on twigs and vegetation?)

Court cases have been won and lost on punctuation, right down to a single comma and what it signalled. To suggest that punctuation is unimportant is roughly the equivalent of suggesting that stress, pause-patterns and tone of voice indicate nothing in face-to-face communication, since these are some of the roles that punctuation takes up in writing.

Vixxy

Visit site
I usually come onto this forum in the middle of the night when I cannot sleep with pain, usually after taking morphine, so ermm yes I usually have typos... sorry if that offends people.

This constant bitching about spelling and punctuation is a bit sad especially for those who would like to post that have dyslexia or other problems. Part of my disease is brain fog and although I think I make myself clear often when I reread my posts later I find sometimes things are not as clear as I thought.

I do check my posts but I know sometimes I do slip up...

I am a fairly well educated woman with a large import business in Norway and would like to think I present myself well on posts but I do make mistakes, horrible to think there are spelling police out there that will assume I must be stupid or lazy
blush.gif
!