Spending same now on hay/feed as mid-winter!

shmoo

Visit site
Nothing to add apart from thread name really. Just pi**ed off I seem to be spending same now as I was mid-winter on hay & hard feed. Is everyone else in the same boat?

Just back from yard and its bl**dy trying to snow again here ! And blowing a gale !!

Horses are depressed and shelter dwellers.

Grrr.

mandwhy

Visit site
It's ridiculous isn't it, I am feeding more now as my good doer had some weight to lose, now I don't want her to lose too much. I don't envy those with 'less good' doers!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
My hay bill is the biggest ever in 35 years of keeping horses.

I have two 2 year old, common bred types, that have just been turned out and the bitter wind is just slicing the weight off them.

Surely spring is on the way.

Benlot

Visit site
I am actually spending more now than 2-3 months ago! My boy just cannot coope with this constant cold and although always looked well before I am now really struggling with his condition, that also goes for my welshie.:(

Jools2345

Visit site
i am feeding more as i am careful to keep some grass ungrazed for the worst of the weather (or so i thought) i have a bare field now and no sign of that changing anytime soon

Aarrghimpossiblepony

Visit site
I don't know whether this will cheer you up or not. But it may allow you to feel fully justified in saying that this year has been dreadful and you have every right to be p*ssed off.

This March has been the second coldest on record since records began I heard yesterday.

It is exceptional, you're not just moaning.:)
Yesterday I heard from an Agister that they were out on the forest picking up ponies who were in a very bad state it's been so cold and the grass is so late.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I don't know why you all put up with such a lousy climate down in England!:D:D:D

I am north of Inverness and we've had hardly any snow this winter and I have found it a struggle to sell my hay! I don't think it has been as cold as usual either.

The weather is certainly very strange. Having said the above, you can bet it will now rain steadily all summer.:(

HelenPassfield

Visit site
Yes still buying the same haylege and hard feed as all winter, in 30 years I have never known my horses to be coming in past the clocks going forward before