Spent last night spot spraying 2 acres......

Shazzababs

Visit site
I'm sure that I've sprayed half the things twice and missed the rest.

I wish they'd put some red dye or something in the spray so you can see where you've been.

I normally strip walk to the middle down the hill and then come back up on the other side.

Does anyone have any cool ways of seeing where they have been?

TTK

Visit site
I feel your pain, I can see where I missed! I use alternately, SBK brushwood killer and Grazon - using the highest concentration in each case. If things get really bad, I resort to Roundup and start again.

Shazzababs

Visit site
I use Grazon for the perennial weeds, works pretty well as long as you get them before they seed. I get it from the local agricultural merchants (Mole Valley)

Last night I was using Barrier-H on the ragwort, as it has to be done before it flowers, and with a sunny day to follow to make it work. Anything that's left will get pulled when it flowers.

I wonder if Red food colouring would work, I wouldn't want to cause a chemical reaction though.

NoltonSeaShell

Visit site
Does grazon kill nettles and dock leaves? My field is being over taken by them and its impossible to pull them all. Also can you carry on grazing your horses on there, or how long do you have to leave it? Sorry to ask a question within a thread

FairyLights

Visit site
Does grazon kill nettles and dock leaves? My field is being over taken by them and its impossible to pull them all. Also can you carry on grazing your horses on there, or how long do you have to leave it? Sorry to ask a question within a thread
Yes it does kill nettles and docks but the horses need to be kept off for a while. Cant remember how long. it also kills trees and shrubs and hedges so you have to be careful with it.

Merlin11

Visit site
i use grazon for docks and nettles and pull the rag wort. any suggestions on what to use on buttercups? sorry if highjacking.

jinglejoys

Visit site
I use mules and goats for the docks nettles and thistles but Ragwort is a sod to get rid of!Thanks for the dye suggestion though

Clodagh

Visit site
I pull our ragwort after getting the agronomist to look at the field when he was doing a farm walk. He said if you spray ragwort you have to leave the field empty for 3 months so the leaves rot away otherwise if they are there but dead horses can eat it, like it is in hay. Not saying he is right but just a thought.

kiteman0

Visit site
I sprayed a couple of paddocks 2 nights ago and the leaves have gone black and are dissapearing. I used polo and found that's the best for ragwort.
We've got 250 acres covered in it because the neighbour won't spray his land.

BackstreetSym

Visit site
I pull our ragwort after getting the agronomist to look at the field when he was doing a farm walk. He said if you spray ragwort you have to leave the field empty for 3 months so the leaves rot away otherwise if they are there but dead horses can eat it, like it is in hay. Not saying he is right but just a thought.

After spraying (at rosette stage) comes the digging and disposal. Can you imagine all the extra time we'd have if this bloody stuff didn't exist! Drives me crazy people who don't control their ragwort, too. OK, I'll stop now...