Spey

Jay89

Visit site
A lap spay? They are becoming really popular, they are less invasive as it's done like 'keyhole'. Recovery time is quicker. Sadly it's more expensive :(

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I don't think I would consider it as my main reason for spaying is to remove the uterus and thus greatly reduce the chances of pyometra. It is a pain trying to keep the bitch quiet for 2 weeks after the operation, particularly as mine have always been bouncing , no signs of having a major op, but its no real hardship to either the dogs or me.

twiggy2

Visit site
I would rather they are opened up and the vets get a good look inside, slightly off topic but when my mum had her hysterectomy she was unsure wether to have keyhole or not (her surgeon did both) in the end she asked his opinion his reply was 'I would rather open you up so I have a good clear view of what I am doing and can pick up on anything that may not be as it should in there whilst you are under anaesethic', he felt he could do a better job that way he also said 'if you are sore you are more likely to rest and either procedure needs you to rest in order for it to heal'

the percentage that have complications after a routine spey are so small that I would stick with that

Clodagh

Visit site
The wound after a routine spay is so small anyway, mine have suffered no ill effects. Do they go in by the belly button for the keyhole as well?

Umbongo

Visit site
TBH one of the big risks of having an un-spayed girl is them getting a pyometra. An infection of the uterus which can be fatal. If they do get a pyo then they would need an emergency operation to remove it anyway.

I work in a vets and have had a couple of people asking me about the keyhole surgery, but I haven't heard of any vets in the area that will actually do it. Most vets like to open up and have a good look about, make sure everything else is normal! Also I can imagine it is £££!

A normal spay wound is normally quite small anyway (1-2 inches depending on size of the dog) and complications afterwards are not that common. The recovery is generally quite quick.

Good luck whatever you decide :)

EAST KENT

Visit site
Sounds good does`nt it.But the spey scar is small anyway,and under the skin sutures are often used,the problem with trying to "work" through a smaller aperture is more bruising.I would much prefer a vet having space to really look around than a cosmetic plus,far safer and only a tiny scar anyway.

chattygoneon3

Visit site
1. Pyometra is an hormonal condition. Repeated seasons producing oestrogen and progesterone result in thickening of the uterine lining. Secondary infection on top of this thickening results in pyometra. No ovaries means no pyometra is possible.
2. Ovariectomy (removal of ovaries) rather than ovariohysterectomy (removal of ovaries and uterus) has been used as the standard method of neutering for years in both USA and Europe. Now being used more and more in UK whether by lap spay or conventional spaying
3. Smaller incision means less pain, shorter recovery time and less time with buster collar. Smaller incision does not mean more bruising!
4. Lap spays can be done via two port (two incisions in abdominal wall) or less commonly one port
5. More expensive as much more equipment for lap spay and additional training.
Most important thing is to get your bitch neutered thereby reducing the risk of pyometra and mammary cancer.
Good luck with whatever method you decide on.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
We did consider this with Pip last year as Langford offer this, we knew it was more expensive but we just wanted the best for our dog. I asked a lot of people for their opinion and did research, in the end we plumped for the full spey and I have to say apart from the first day when she came home she bounced straight back to form. It is a bit of a bind to keep them on lead exercise for 10 days and Langford extended that for a further 10days even though there was no complications but it soon passed and her scar is tiny.