Spiky mane...any suggestions

KrashnBurn

Visit site
P has a very unruly thick spiky mane. Now normally I am not too bothered by this, however I just don't know what to do with it. He hates his mane being pulled (don't blame him) and using thinning scissors/solo comb type methods just result in the spikes growing through etc.

What do I do? Let it grow out (then what to do with it when it is longer and even thicker)
or keep the spikes cos he looks cool with it like that?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

XXX

KrashnBurn

Visit site
you could have a plan there
ooo.gif

KrashnBurn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
yup agree, aslong as hes a chunky type - if hes tb he'l look silly with a hogged mane!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup he is Cob x so he could carry it off quite well.

*rummages in boot of car to see where I left my clippers*

Molineux

Visit site
Do you use a neck cover on his rugs?

That helps, I know BBs used to have a lot of problems with Mr Winston, however I know since she has started putting a neck cover on in the day and at night, it sicks down!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Oooo go for it. I waited years before I hogged Amy - and then it was only for one season prior to being 'retired'. Wish I'd done it before - she looked so wonderful.

KrashnBurn

Visit site
I don't use a neck cover currently. But I have got one of those Lycra turn out head and neck covers...that might do the trick...thankies

XX

Molineux

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't use a neck cover currently. But I have got one of those Lycra turn out head and neck covers...that might do the trick...thankies

XX

[/ QUOTE ]

The lycra ones will work, however you need one to put on in the stable really too!

filly190

Visit site
Afraid I dont like hogging manes, I do agree they look smart and suit the type of horse you describe.

I would stop using a thinning blade on a thick mane and pull it the old fashioned way, to try and stop the spiky bits. The trick is to get it to lay, so plait it loosley and leave for a few days. The mane conditioner spray is excellent and helps it get more soft and silky.

When you plait up, use hair products, gell and hair spray to get the hairs workable and you should get reasonable results.

My personal opinion with hogging is, that a mane can soften the appearance if the horse has quite a thick neck. It all depends on how the horse is put together. If the confirmation is'nt brill, by hogging you can make a big neck look quite ugly.

Again down to personal preference.

parsley

Visit site
I've got two cobs - one is hogged and looks great with it and a photo of him with a mane shows he looked like his neck was far too heavy- the other was hogged but I didn't like the look of him as his neck looked too small. The hog is growing out and was looking like a punk style do so I put a lot of plaits in it - they have been in for about a month now - I have taken them out once to brush and re-do them and now the second lot are gradually falling out and the mane is laying down. He has a really thick mane.

All this is to say that think carefully before you hog about his conformation - it can improve the appearance, but takes a lot of time to grow back! You can get their mane to lay down, but it requires a lot of work
smile.gif