Spinal Stenosis/Wobblers and pain.

Illusion100

Visit site
First off, I have suffered from advanced spinal canal stenosis that affected the lumbar region. I can truly tell you without any exaggeration it was the worst kind of pain I've ever experienced and it was constant 24/7. I've had the offending bone growths and other parts of vertebrae removed via surgery and the immediate results were amazing.

Then we have Wobblers Syndrome in horses, which is also a spinal stenosis. Diagnosis is defined as neurologial and not identified as painful. How can this be?!

Kissing Spines is taken very seriously as a highly painful spinal issue yet Wobblers/spinal stenosis gets a painfree diagnosis.

This makes no sense to me nor does the blase attitude towards it. Any thoughts?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I can answer this, from my perspective.

Jay Man was rested last summer for a slight suspensory injury, and while rested he became a wobbler. It was bad enough that he was dragging his feet, was almost blown over in a strong wind, and could not untangle his legs. He had to come back into work, as it was thought that work was supporting his spine. I did start with a bit of lungeing, as he was so out of control that riding would have been out of the question, but as he improved I decided that I would ride, as I could get him working over his back at walk, and that would be less harmful to his leg.

Jay Man came 5 years ago with severe behavioural issues, and we have worked through them, but I do know that if as much as his numnah is creased under his saddle he will be sharp. Jay does not suffer pain well. He is not stoic!

He has been happy as larry with his hacking, and even a bit of light schooling for the wild days of gale force winds we have had this spring. I honestly do not think he would be like that if uncomfortable. He is also fat as a pig, again not what I would expect if in great pain.

HOWEVER I did work with another horse, a heavy 4yo who became a bad wobbler, and he could not lift or lower his head. He also could not turn left. I would have had that one PTS at an early stage, as although the vet said it was a mechanical issue rather than pain, I am sure that he was in major discomfort at least.

When he was put in the field he would look at the grass and be unable to eat it. I mean, he just could not lower his head far enough to reach the floor. If you asked him to turn he would properly be stuck. IMO I think he was actually in that much pain he was internal with it. Like he had given up.

Worst part was when the vet said I had to ride the horse. I looked at him, unable to move his head/neck or turn, and decided that really, if he could not do that, then adding a rider to the mix would really not help. I refused to ride, and led in hand instead.

The X rays for the horses were very different. Jay Man is now without symptoms, his X rays showed only minor narrowing, and the wobbling thought to be from inflammation of the spinal cord due to being a bit saggy from being out of work for the first time, pressing on the cord. I guess we caught it before it was too bad, and rectified the issue.

I did not personally see that work horse's X Rays, but I understand they were quite severe.

Interesting question. I do think the second horse was in a lot of pain. The vet did not. I guess it comes down to how well you know your horse.