Spindles farm doc on Radio 4 NOW

Gonetofrance

Visit site
Very interesting points raised.

Sensible and practical summary of the problems facing horses in the UK.

I just hope they were preaching to more than the converted......

Paddywhack

Visit site
Horses of the hill ??????? Parker has lost his marbles ......... They more likely came from somewhere in Europe and once they had done their purpose they were left to it !!!! Why else would he not feed them to make them fat and get a higher price for them ????

marlyclay

Visit site
That was an excellent radio broadcast with more than just a grain of truth in it.I totally agree with some of the points raised.
Gray apparently bought most of his stock from the bin end of markets .The type of pony produced by back yard breeders,or old and unsound,the type past on from sale to sale,it is unlikely that they would of been expensive to purchase.I believe it was stated that he would sometimes buy up to 50 a week! If there were not so many of these poor wretches in the markets in the first place,if owners would take the responsibility of humanely destroying their unwanted stock instead of passing them from sale to sale and not allowing indescriminate breeding in the first place then Gray would never of had the chance to buy so many and mistreat them so horribly.
We could all learn so much from this,no matter how uncomfortable it may be to listen to it.

Paddywhack

Visit site
Yes I totally agree with points raised in on the show,re breeding and unwanted horses,this country needs a major clean up and stricter inspections of meat traders and breeders.
Most of the ponies/horses at J.G's farm at the time of the raid was youngsters or/and horses with foreign passports.
I got no problem with the meat market long as animals are kept in good conditions and treated properly,J.G does not treat ANY of his animals in a respectful way.
I have personally chosen not to put any of my horses down the meat chain but their quality of life is my main priority.
At least we got one scumbag off the streets and no more poor animals will go through the gates of his farm and his evil hands......

maybedaisy

Visit site
My last horse was PTS in her 40's. She was cremated and buried in her field. I kept her for her final 8 years as a pet even more mollycoddled than she had been when I rode her. I know not everyone can do this, but I do think owners should take responsibility for their animals once they get to a certain age. Anyone putting an old or injured horse through a sale has a reasonable idea that the future is going to be at best uncertain at worst down right awful.

However the fact that there is a glut of unwanted or cheap horses could never excuse the likes of JG. Every person owning or being responsible for an animal should ensure that it has a good standard of life and care.

Sadly I think the only way to stop people breeding indiscriminatedly is to make it more expensive and enforce chipping and passports. Ending tethering another of my pet hates would also help as a lot of these breeders do not have their own land and would not pay to rent any.