Spine free numnah

flying_high

Visit site
My horses has a nearly healed rub on T13-T16 area of his spine. Area was shaved for vet, and then a Lemieux numnah rubbed area under saddle.

Saddler came today and suggested can buy a spine free sheepskin with nothing or small pieces of a elastic across spine.

Or a kissing spine numnah.

She didn't know makes, and google not finding anything.

She didn't mean the standard half pad with a seam gap in the sheepskin.

She mean nothing in the spine and a full gap.

I have seen this, but need holes further forwards

https://www.equineessentialsdirect....epads/rhinegold-vented-spine-sheepskin-numnah

flying_high

Visit site
You will find quite a few if you look using endurance riding as a reference, also some treeless pads come spine free. I found this one as a guide to what your vet is probably talking about but you can probably find many better or similar.
https://www.amazon.com/HILASON-TA328-F-UNIQUE-ENDURANCE-SADDLE/dp/B00866AKNW

Thanks, yes like that but sold in the UK and sheepskin. I cannot find one? Or anything close. I have tried searching google / amazon / ebay etc. Using a wide range of terms.

flying_high

Visit site
Not exactly what you're asking but what about just not using a numnah at all? I don't, much less faff!
Not exactly what you're asking but what about just not using a numnah at all? I don't, much less faff!

Possibly, but as I think will have take best part of 3 weeks to rehab the sore resulting from a 30 minute ride, when there was an uninjured shaved patch, (I think the Lemieux numnah acted like sandpaper on bald area). I am not sure I want to run the risk that edge of saddle gullet touches the rub mark. It is slightly to one side of the spine.

My preference is thick sheepskin with a gap over the sore area. My saddle has been checked to fit with said thick sheepskin.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Mattes, the best designed sheepskin pads IMO. www.numnah.com, a huge choice, and worth adding shim pockets, 4, if you can afford it, you never know when they might come in handy. The only pads that have NOTHING across most of the spine have to have ties across, of some kind, front and back. I have seen them over the years but no idea of names either, but I'd not recommend them, no stability. Mattes has the sheepskin trimmed away at 45 degrees either side of the spine so may give enough clearance for you. I would also suggest as much in hand work as possible (I recommend straightnesstraining.com) while it heals.

marmalade88

Visit site
buy a cheap fleece one, cut the hole out on the spine section that's rubbed, wait for it to heal and then chuck it out and return to normal saddle arrangements?