Spinoff: Liveries- your worst 'where's my stuff?' experiences?

Luci07

Visit site
Came down to the yard to find that another livery had given permission for a child to ride her young big horse...and use my saddle. She said she didn't want to risk her own saddle... My saddle had been made for my horse. The mother of said child shopped her in and then stood back as WW3 kicked off. To say I lost it would be an understatement. I then also told EVERYONE on the yard that NONE of my tack or rugs were OK to be used by any third party and please let me know/remove if it happened.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Last week, the horses who spent the summer outside 24/7 started coming into their stalls at night, and my friend, who's horse is on part livery, had to start doing the stable again, whereupon she discovered that her wheelbarrow, which she hadn't used all summer obviously, was MIA. After much searching, she located the wheelbarrow at the under-construction house that's next door to the yard. Nothing to do with the yard, other than proximity. The wheelbarrow was totally shagged. The yard owner, who is not a man you want to pi$$ off, reamed the butts of the construction workers. They told him that the owner of the house said they could use the wheelbarrow. YO then reamed the butt of the house owner, who of course told him that he never gave his workers permission to use said wheelbarrow. Finger-pointing aside, the house owner bought my friend a new wheelbarrow.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
Worst walkies incident I had was a brand new comfort bridle and knee boots. Made a noise about it on the yard and got told by YO the livery with learning difficulties must have taken them. I pointed out that I would ask her (didn't think it was her)turned out to be YO. She was caught by other liveries. Suddenly the knee boots came back but the bridle never did grrr.

Last year I had several rugs go missing, one turned up on a livery's horse in the field. The others never turned up. Missing several 6ft plus turnouts this year too

windand rain

Visit site
My dog is very obediant she disappeared from the car while I was poo picking so a local who knew her borrowed her and used her to catch their wayward husky He did bring her straight back but it was a bit disconcerting as she was sitting in a crate with the car door up the crate door was closed one minute, gone the next and back there when I went to loook for her. Must admit its the people who use things then when I question there whereabouts "find them" in the last place I looked. Something to do with feeling like someone is driving me bonkers

Last edited:

MissTyc

Visit site
Must admit its the people who use things then when I question there whereabouts "find them" in the last place I looked. Something to do with feeling like someone is driving me bonkers

I skip that game these days. I have an "amnesty bin". If anything goes missing I make a fuss on my yard Facebook group and say that the missing things better turn up in my bin within 24 hours. It's normally only little things though. Annoying but not expensive!

glamourpuss

Visit site
^^ that would have had me with steam coming out of my ears :mad3::mad3::mad3::mad3:

How did you deal with that? I also don't mind lending people stuff, but I do insist on being asked first :D
Of course I was fuming & started ranting at her...she looked genuinely upset & said
'But you weren't using it & you've never minded me using your stuff before' 😂
The saddle was cleaned, put back & they never did it again.

SuperCat007

Visit site
Wow, too many to recall!

A particularly difficult and nervy Welsh B (my first pony) was 'borrowed' one time, we overtook them on the road outside where we were keeping her. She stayed at that yard another two days before we found somewhere else!

An electric fence energiser and battery left in a combination locked tack room which the YO left open one day to provide electricity for her bouncy castle for her party (which only certain select liveries were invited to), no notice given of tack room being unlocked and no responsibility taken on part of YO because I signed the contract saying it's my responsibility if anything is damaged, lost or stolen!

Rugs, numnahs, I found my gold Sprenger bit on someone else's bridle before, the usual things brushes, hoof picks etc.

The one that really got me going (we actually got the police involved); going home from BSPS, we had one pony there and one at home who was injured whilst we were away. We had to rush home in the car and trusted the YO to pack up the pony and transport our things back; for some reason the saddle, bridle and my showing gear was in her lorry (don't remember why) as well as an expensive gilet and pair of boots of my mum's (I was about 14 or 15 at the time). The other pony had a bad cut and had to have stitches and antibiotics. Later that evening the other pony arrived home minus a saddle, my hacking jacket and blue jacket, a jacket with my pony's name on boots, and my mum's gilet and boots. Apparently they had been 'robbed' whilst YO and her daughter were away from the lorry competing. Naturally we believed them, we were good friends, we said how awful it was and made an official complaint to BSPS etc. For other reasons we moved both ponies away from that yard, soon after that the daughter turned up to a show wearing my things, sitting in my saddle and YO in my mum's gilet and boots. We got the police involved, we only got the saddle and branded jacket back because they were the only things we could categorically prove were ours. We had receipts for the show jackets, but the YO also produced receipts and then tried to sue us for unpaid livery bills (really messy situation, far too long-a story to go in to here!). I never got those things back, but I did get to embarrass the girl in front of her posse at the next year's BSPS as she was parading around in my jacket. I'm still angry about it to this day.

Weemegs

Visit site
I work at a riding school and nothing annoys me more than school horse's flashes going missing. Either someone has stolen them, or the horses are tacked up with the flash left hanging so it ends up in the bed. I'll arrange all the flashes one day so each horse has their own then the next they'll be all over the place. Also gloves! I'm always loosing gloves!

Weemegs

Visit site
Also a friend was fuming to turn up to her yard to find her horse had been used in a riding lesson for a beginner without her permission! Another friend put her pony out on loan for it to return minus very expensive saddle and bridle which had been "stolen". The loaners hadn't insured the items despite agreeing to in the contract.

Lexi_

Visit site
I am actually gobsmacked at some of the stuff in here. Who borrows things like saddles and lorries without asking first??!!

Thank goodness the most that ever happens at our yard is borrowing other people's wheelbarrows if yours has a flat tyre etc.

Kylara

Visit site
I occasionally borrow things (generally when new horses turn up and I have nothing that fits!) but I always ask and always give back ASAP. I'm a very good borrower as I constantly update on things - so bought the mare from next door and borrowed rugs until mine arrived. Had some postal issues but kept them up to date constantly until they arrived and their were washed (to their surprise!) and returned the same day.

My liveries stuff gets used by the liveries. Things like headcollars must be returned to the hooks on doors or I lose the plot. Tbh the mucking out tools (all are full or part so just me or a freelance groom using them) have a place and it annoys me when they aren't put back properly.

My mother borrowed my old retired boy once without asking for giving some small cousins pony rides. Pony was retired due to SI and a bad back and hadn't been sat on for a few years. I was not impressed with her. And very impressed with my bronco boy for not dumping kids on the floor (no hats or proper footwear, just grabbed him from field and took him into the strip in front of the spare stables). Needless to say I tried to tell her not to do it but she did a couple more times until pony reverted to his usual self and threw a ditsy, tried to kick everyone and bucked as kid was being picked up to sit on him. Then my warnings etc were taken to heart and mother of kids said how bad a pony he was - Saint in my eyes as he had a very bad back and hadn't been sat on for years and when he was ridden he was a proper bronco!

Hoof picks do seem to go missing a lot. Also my spurs have gone a wander more times than I can count over the years, either borrowed, lent or run away somewhere. They now live on top of the yard fridge :D

scats

Visit site
Another one- friend was overseeing he loan of another friends horse to the on site riding school (owner lived in abroad). After a good few years on the school and horse getting older, it was decided that horse should come off the school and go out on loan so she could have a one to one and a bit of an easier life. Eager teenager who had fallen in love with her on the riding school was keen to take her on. All was fine until friend saw a strange man coming round to tack horse up one day. On asking him what he was doing, man said he was riding horse on a lesson. Turned out that teenager was sub-letting horse back to the riding school for cash. She was confronted and told this was absolutely not in the contract and it was never to happen again. All apologetic etc etc. Two months later, she did it again. Horse was removed from her care swiftly!

sasquatch

Visit site
I work at a riding school and nothing annoys me more than school horse's flashes going missing. Either someone has stolen them, or the horses are tacked up with the flash left hanging so it ends up in the bed. I'll arrange all the flashes one day so each horse has their own then the next they'll be all over the place. Also gloves! I'm always loosing gloves!

this wound me up incredibly when I kept my horse on working livery at a RS! His flashes were bought and PAID FOR by ME, not the RS and they STILL ended up on the RS horses!

It ended up I would just take the cleanest, newest looking flash off one of the RS horses bridle each time mine went missing, because when I did find mine (usually they had extra and odd shaped holes) they were dirty, often chewed or damaged.
It was simply a case of someone taking a flash for a RS horse who had lost it and not bothering to check if it was an actual RS horse they were taking it off!
I also had a whole bridle vanish (the bridle we bought WITH my horse) that was my 'spare' bridle, as well as a brand new martingale left on his peg that I didn't use.
Numnahs went, I reclaimed one with his name embroidered on it that was being used by a different RS horse, overreach boots vanished once a week. Once I found my girth had gone when I arrived for my lesson and it turned out someone had taken my girth for an RS horse who's girth had broken and was in the group lesson at the same time as mine - even though I was a livery and the girth was not RS property! My instructor wasn't happy then as it meant my lesson was late, and RS was not allowed to use livery property on RS horses!
I ended up buying ugly hot pink, orange and green numnah as well as hot pink overreach and tendon boots and they never disappeared, and always found their way back to either outside my stable, my hand, or on my saddle which they never had been able to do before

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I turned up to the yard one day and couldnt find my new wheelbarrow where it should have been. I assumed it had been borrowed so I walked all the stables to look for it....nothing! Everyone was baffled so we searched the whole yard and eventually found foot prints and a wheelbarrow track across the sand school and over the fence out on to the road!!! Someone had been on the yard overnight and helped themselves to my barrow, which was, as far as we could tell, luckily the only thing that had been stolen.

All the stables on our yard have their own tackrooms at the back so unless you leave it unlocked people dont really have access to your stuff. The only thingg left out are the wheelbarrows and whilst there are serial barrow borrowers we all know who they are and it normally becomes a bit of a running joke :D

mytwofriends

Visit site
I had Danilon taken by a crooked YO.

Not just a sachet or two, but at least half a box. Not all in one go, but trickle nicked over a few weeks.

I was suspicious, but second guessed myself at the start - wondering if I had actually used more than I remembered - but a friend reminded me about the serial numbers on the sachets/box, so I did some sleuth work and checked the likely perpetrator's supply one day (she was widely known as light fingered.)

Well, go figure, lots of the serial numbers on the sachets in her rather large stash matched mine.

Similarly my friend had acp tablets, and lots were missing. No-one except her and the YO used to use them, and YO's pot was surprisingly full. The dead giveaway was that my friend had a different sized mg dose tablet to the YO - funny how the YO's pot contained mixed dose tablets.

Nice person, that YO. We left.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well I feel very lucky to have my own rented land now!

Having said that the bl&&&y fox cubs have stolen one of my hoof boots which I'm fairly fuming about! It will no doubt turn up chewed to bits at some point.

fornema

Visit site
Well I feel very lucky to have my own rented land now!

Having said that the bl&&&y fox cubs have stolen one of my hoof boots which I'm fairly fuming about! It will no doubt turn up chewed to bits at some point.

Foxes are the worst for stealing things over the years have left many things in the horses field to return to them in many pieces or disappear and turn up across the field a while later.

I have had a full show set 'borrowed' (jacket,jods, shirt, stock) and never returned, absolutely fuming and wouldn't lend things out again for this very reason.

Last edited:

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Gosh! Some of the things that people have lost or had 'borrowed'! Would drive me barking.

Mine was just the annoyance of not having our mucking out stuff where we'd left it. Having to go and retrieve, sometimes a full wheelbarrow left by the muckheap, ta!