Spirulina

Jayzee

Visit site
Evening,

If you feed spirulina, where do you get yours from? There seem to be 100s of different sources, it also seems as though if it is marketed for horses then it costs a lot more versus human marketed ones, does this make a difference?

Thanks

IveRunOutOfNamesToThinkOf

Visit site
Most animal feed companies buy the same product you do, and then simply repackage in smaller quantities and label as their own. Ultimately a herb is a herb no matter where you buy from, as long as you are assured it’s legitimate

Goldenstar

Visit site
And you do need to think about the iron it’s not desirable for some horses which is an issue for the older horse where Spirulina could be really useful but giving them extra iron is something you have to be very careful about .
Horses don’t excrete iron so if they take in more than they need it’s stored so over a life time that builds up and I think it’s also thought there’s a link to metabolic issues but it’s not fully understood .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
And you do need to think about the iron it’s not desirable for some horses which is an issue for the older horse where Spirulina could be really useful but giving them extra iron is something you have to be very careful about .
Horses don’t excrete iron so if they take in more than they need it’s stored so over a life time that builds up and I think it’s also thought there’s a link to metabolic issues but it’s not fully understood .

It's pretty well understood, I think, GS. The potted explanation I usually use is that iron takes up the receptor spaces in the gut for copper, so a diet high in iron will prevent absorption of copper. Copper is implicated in insulin regulation and a horse overloaded with iron will often produce poor quality hoof wall and become laminitic more easily.

Iron is already high in most UK grazing that has been analysed, which is why "barefoot" supplements are high in copper. You also then have to have it high in zinc, to balance it.

Reacher

Visit site
That’s interesting, I didn’t realise spirulina was high in iron. I had tried to feed it as some research indicated it helped damp down inflammatory response due to dust allergy but my horse won’t eat it. I may give up in that case!

I have a nearly full pouch of spirulina from forage plus if anyone wants it for the cost of postage!

(PS am a bit surprised FP recommenced it to me given their stance on iron!)

Casey76

Visit site
If the iron is adequately balanced, and your horse doesn’t have EMS/IR, then 20g of spirulina a day is going to do more good than harm.

Dr Kellon herself recommends using spirulina in conjunction with Jiaogulan as an anti-inflammatory for helping with equine asthma and other inflammatory conditions.

PurBee

Visit site
Farmed spirulina and wild spirulina will have different nutritional properties. Wild stuff has more heavy metal contamination than farmed stuff. Farmed stuff due to the water theyre using, could likely have high iron. If a company provides their test of their stuff, thats a company i’d buy from - regarding levels of iron and heavy metals.

There’s probably ‘safer’ alternatives out there to substitute the reasons why youre using spirulina, without potential concern of mineral imbalance or heavy metal contamination.

Amirah

Visit site
I am sure one of mine has iron overload. How to get rid though? They bleed humans (and laminitics in ye olden days). Chili and coffee according to google, maybe I should take her to Costa for a latte. Any better ideas? I'm feeding copper and zinc but in tiny quantities or she won't eat it.

PurBee

Visit site
I am sure one of mine has iron overload. How to get rid though? They bleed humans (and laminitics in ye olden days). Chili and coffee according to google, maybe I should take her to Costa for a latte. Any better ideas? I'm feeding copper and zinc but in tiny quantities or she won't eat it.

hilarious to utter the word ‘turmeric’ on this forum but…..turmeric! ?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41420-019-0234-y

“Curcumin strikingly modulates proteins of iron metabolism in cells and in tissues, suggesting that it has the properties of an iron chelator”

Goldenstar

Visit site

You have to bleed them it’s the only way .