Splint advice please....

L&M

Visit site
We have been on holiday for a week so my horse had the week off too. I have only owned him since last sept and has just turned 6yrs - he passed a 5 stage vetting with the only comment being a small splint on his right fore. The splint has never caused an issue and he hunted weekly all last season.

Having been away for a week I was keen to get back on board, but our first hack out was not the leisurely plod I was aiming for - the plan was for a couple of days of walk work, then back to normal for the weekend, but he had other ideas! The flies were a right pita and he threw some lovely broncs and a mini rear to boot on the lanes, so I decided to trot him up some hills to get the tickle out of him...

Today I hacked out again and he was a lot calmer and felt fine. When I got back I noticed his splint seemed to have swollen up - however there was no heat, he trotted sound on the yard, and didn't mind me manipulating it.

I thought I would sleep on it before calling the vet in the morning as a. I am paranoid and often imagine/see things that aren't an issue b. he is sound and cantered happily off into the field after his hack.

Splints do not bother me as we hunt/hack/xc etc and have owned horses with splints before which have never caused an issue.

I suppose in essence this is a 'wwyd' post, so any thoughts gratefully received!

treacle_beastie

Visit site
yep I would just check again tomorrow and work quietly a few days and monitor it but stop as soon as there is any sign of heat or pain. I wouldnt get the vet unless they were hopping and it could be fractured or it was near the knee. If it does flare up ice it then field rest a couple of weeks and check again.

BlackRider

Visit site
I'd take it easy for a few days and see how he goes. If it gets any worse I'd rest, also check the feet are correctly balanced, as that can cause it too.